Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Puppy Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Puppy Questions Reply with quote

Ah blank canvas...a time to show myself up and ask lots of stupid questions!!!

Right am aware of the destruction a bored BC can do. So am looking for some distractions. I don't want too many toys...cos I think I should be the best toy the BC has...but obviously he will need his alone time and other stimulating things to do.

My last BC had a kong which seemed okay, but I have seen more complex rewarding games. Is there any in particular people could suggest or do you not find them appropriate.

Also is there any particular chewy toys you would reccomend to help teach the dog that my shoes aren't good for teething?

Bedding - what is the best bedding I can get my puppy. My sister believes she can get me some cheap vet bedding (£1 - £1.50 per metre aparently) but I am awaiting confirmation on that.

Thats all the silly questions I can think of just now...am sure I will bore you with somemore later

Cassie
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi - sorry not the best person to answer the puppy thing, not done it for about 20 years.

BUT - I use vetbed and I love it, you can shove it in the washing machine, hang it over a radiator and its dry in an hour or so. I have a few bits and use it in the boys beds and also for them to lie about on as I have laminate and Dodge has wee pressure marks on his elbows.

I got mine from crufts cheap. But you can get it on the intranet, sometimes they do specials for the unpopular colours - if some one can get you it at a reduced price thats great. It is expensive but it lasts and lasts so it works out cheaper in the long run.

I had tried the padded mats and big cushions for dogs, but they go out of shape in the wash and the material makes the dogs sweat. They love the vetbed though
Janice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I've been using vet bedding with Dale, now 7 month and a BC. I used it with my last BC too. Dale loves to chew but the bedding has survived him very well. I like it because its easy to wash and it dries quickly.
As far as toys go Dale loves noisy things, but of course you can't leave them alone with with squeaky toys. He enjoyed a wiggle giggle puppy dumbell that I found on ebay--- designed for puppy chewing and it made a noise. Still i think Kongs are hard to beat.
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Puppy Questions Reply with quote

Hi Cassandra,

No question is a silly question if you aren't sure of the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find the vet bed great. It dries really quickly when its washed too. Unfortunately Mishka (our 15mth old German Shepherd) likes to rip them up Rolling Eyes . So, at the moment I have resorted to fleece blankets costing around £2.00 each.

We also use a pen for her when we are out and at night or if we have people in and she is over excited. Definitely recommended.

Hope that helps.
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Puppy Questions Reply with quote

Deborah Hamilton wrote:
We also use a pen for her when we are out and at night or if we have people in and she is over excited. Definitely recommended.

i second that it makes life so much easyer Very Happy
Eleanor
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cassie and welcome to the forum

there are no such things as silly questions, its amazing how you can forget what really seems so easy when you are out of practice

I know that you want to be your puppy's best toy but you are not available 24/7, toys give you something to get your puppy's attention and are valuable for teaching your puppy bite inhibition (needle teeth are sore on hands), interactive toys are good for your puppy to learn how to play by himself when you cannot be there e.g. kongs (which are really useful), treat balls and the pyramid, your puppy will also need suitable chew toys to satisfy his need to chew (saves the shoes), I recommend that you do buy some toys that make you more interesting to your puppy. Dogs love to play all through their life not just as puppies, it makes life more fun.

Beds - vet bed has a good reputation, you may go through a few, until your puppy has gone through the chew the bed stage it's probably best not to spend too much on one, another suggestion is a baby's cot quilt and cover from ikea etc which are good value, wash great and are quite a good size (comfy too).

To stop your BC becoming bored you will have to use up his mental energy as well as his physical energy. teaching him simple tricks and playing some run around games will satisfy both of these needs making him easier to live with, this will also strengthen the bond between you. There are some good books available suggesting 'playtime' games and also books to teach you how to teach you puppy/dog tricks, they are fun and easy to learn.

If you have any more puppy questions please feel free to post them, as well as being a committee member of the Cumbernauld Dog Club,
I am also a qualified Puppy Tutor with Puppy School.

have fun Smile

Eleanor
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried vet bed once, too expensive we use an old pillow and sheet instead, works just as well and far cheaper to replace.

Good luck with the pup!! We both work and I think it's VERY important that a dog gets used to being on its own for periods of time, not all day but certainly a few hours at a time.

Our best trick was to put a dishcloth under the tap wring it and place it in the freezer, once it is frozen give it to pup, great for chewing on and feels great on the gums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: