Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Cat Chasing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Cat Chasing Reply with quote

stopping it quick!

Obviously Ash has met our three cats. Our oldest one Greebs is havin none of it. They are wary of each other but if Ash comes near him he cleans his bum...as yer do!
The youngest cat is off sulking somewhere.

Rainy on the other hand got chased this evening. Ash was busy investigating a toy and saw her...she saw him and legged it...he followed. I got hold of him told him no and gave him a 'time out' in his den.

I know this if it moves you chase it or stare it out...is part of his instincts, however is there a way to distract it?
Janice
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing He's a BC alright.

The best advice I got with Sam was if you don't want him to do it don't let him start so it sounds as if you've got the right idea.

My suggestion would be try a house line to give you some control until they get used to each other. Dale chewed his way through house lines and leads in a very short time but you may find Ash isn't so 'chewy' I eventually got a light chain lead to use indoors. It was the only thing he couldn't chew.

Still Ash must be finding it all very strange leaving his mum and being away from everything and everyone he knows. I always feel sorry for puppies at that stage so I wouldn't be too firm with him tonight.

Eleanor will probably have more ideas. She was really helpful with Dale.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has come out of himself this evening which is nice to see. He is still a bit wary of a few things but is obviously getting more comfortable....hence chasing the cat.

I fussing him lots I just don't want him learning any bad manners and if I can stop it before it gets started then i know I stopping alot of problems later!
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew the answer to this one ................. Diesel caught the neighbours cat on friday! Embarassed
Thankfully he left it alone when John yelled at him and the cat got away unharmed.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is still chasing the cats, but we have eyes on him when they are about. Thankfully (at the moment) he is stopping when we shout him if we dont manage to distract him in time

Something to work on long term I think...tis only early days lol
shirley c
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww his wee diary page on Dogster is great Laughing

I think if you just keep an eye on him and correct him when he does chase the cats he will eventually learn. My lot leave our cats alone but the instinct to chase is too much outside, so if a cat gets into my garden its out of luck, luckily they soon learn which garden to avoid Laughing
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cats have chilled out a bit which is great. Greebs just hasn't bothered since day one. Ash can now go up and give him a sniff and he just meooows at him.

Rainy is still on edge but she will now come into the house for something to eat. Grim finally came back into the house for a fuss and something to eat. In fact I think she sat at his den gate and tormented him.

The dogster diary is brill. It gives me opportunity to try and think like dog so I can understand him better. I could have it completely wrong of course but there ya go lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: