Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Girls are fighting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lindy
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Girls are fighting Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Dora and Lizzy have had a couple of fights over the last few days and have been food gaurding from each other and just generally being grumpy towards each other, we have had to seperate them twice over the last two days. I recon this is a dominance issue between them just wondered if any of you have experienced this and how you dealt with it?

Lindy
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny and Jack have always had their moments. When I investigated I was told to do everything with Danny - the older one - before Jack. Out of the house first, into the house first, bowl down first, lead on first etc etc - this is supposed to reinforce Danny's status. I was also advised to get them neutered.

Unfortunately Jack doesn't get it and he is a pushy and occasionally I forget and then the growling starts, this sometimes leads to physical fights resulting in nibbled ears and the occasional sore leg. I have a spray bottle close at hand and am quite a crack shot these days - right between the eyes if either of them start.

When I go to work they have their own water bowls, bed areas in the kitchen as my neighbour used to tell me they had been barking and growling at each other - not been mentioned lately though. I think their spats are territorial as it happens in the house, garden, car but never on walks where they are the best of pals.

Boys will be boys I guess and they wouldn't be without each other.
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ............. as you know that's something we've had to deal with lately too. Confused Whichever dog appears to be the most dominant, treat her as the dominant one. Hopefully the other will accept her place and they will calm down a bit.

............. if all else fails............... sit on them! Very Happy Wink
Eleanor
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy

I think Lizzie has got to that age and is now challenging Dora, no more accepting mum knows best................it's now hand bags at dawn. But I do agree with what Marcella has said..............whether it's your choice or not you have to give the more dominant dog it's place, which will push the other one further down the pecking order, and make for an easier life with some harmony thrown in. Hard for us humans to do sometimes as we want to treat them equally, but this sometimes upsets the balance and starts a war.

Good luck and be strong

Eleanor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: