Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
I have a little problem with Jaws

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patricia
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: I have a little problem with Jaws Reply with quote

Hello there. I have a little problem.

When I walk Jaws, I often meet a man who plays the saxophone, the trumpet or the bagpipes while he's walking his little dog Buck. I'm sure many of you know who I'm talking about. Smile He's always really nice to Jaws.

My problem is, every time Jaws hears him playing his music, he goes crazy and runs away to that man, even if he's miles away. As soon as Jaws hears the bagpipes, even ever so slightly, I don't exist anymore. Eventually he comes back to me, but I get a fright each time.

What can I do?

Thanks for your help. Smile

Patricia
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, the man down the glen!!!!!
You'll have to make yourself more interesting to Jaws than he seems to be Laughing
Try taking treats out with you, something Jaws loves! When out walking off lead, call him back to you every now and again and each time he comes back reward him with a treat and tell him he's a good boy. If you keep doing that he'll get the hang of coming back for something nice ........... hopefully then in that case if you hear the bagpipes/sax in the distance when you call him he will come back for a treat, when he does pop his lead on and give him his treat.

Does the guy with the sax give him a treat or anything when Jaws runs to him? If so, ask him not to, tell him you're in training with the dog and it's best if it's only you who treats him!!! Wink
Lindy
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh Marcella is right, also try not to get upset or angry with him when he does this as he will sense this in you and mess about even more, what about taking his favorite toy out with you and save it for the walks only so he is interested in what you are doing and not the music man Laughing
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a long line when you're out - Eleanor recommended it to us and it's been a God send. Otto wasn't that interested in us when we were out - too many smells.

It's about 10m long and Otto just runs about with it on, but it slows him down a bit and we can pick it up or stand on it when a potential distraction is looming and keep him nearby.

We used it to train him to the whistle ie whistle goes, tug on line, back and treat.

But it's more than that - when it's on, he knows he's under control. I don't think he knows it's not attached to us. So now he will run on ahead, then stop and wait for us and he will come back to the whistle even if there are other dogs about (most of the time).

We're gradually working without it, but it goes back on if he starts playing up.
Patricia
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm... I already give him treats when he comes back, and most of the time, he does, even when there are other dogs about. I also have his favourite squeaky ball with me, just in case. He's not that bad at coming back. It's just when he hears the music. Lol !

When he runs away to the bagpipes guy, I just put him back on the lead for the rest of the walk as soon as he comes back. But I don't yell at him or get angry. I can't really punish him for coming back.

I haven't seen the guy giving him treats. He just pets him.

This is quite difficult... I can't really ask the guy to stop playing music, can I ? Lol ! Shall I just start playing the pipes to be more interesting ? Smile

Patricia
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play pipe music around the house so he gets sick of hearing it.

Would work for me Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the answer Patricia - you need to start playing the pipes!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Suzanne made a good suggestion - a very long line! We have long lines that we have used in the past for training the dogs. Lindy also has a long line she uses on Dora, because Dora the Explorer is off at the slightest whiff of a rabbit! Shocked Means you can put your foot on it if he starts to go too far ahead. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: