Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Watery eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiona
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Watery eyes Reply with quote

Hi

Jake has had constantly runny eye for the last few days. They aren't green and goopy just watery, it is like a constant stream running down his face. I have checked his eyelashes to make sure they aren't annoying him. He doesn't seem bothered and the eyes aren't red or inflamed.

Any one any ideas what could be causing it?
kirsty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he just has a wee chill in it Fiona. Dodge sometimes gets a runny eye.

though both of mine are sporting conj. again despite the antibiotics.
Fiona

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its both eyes at the same time Kirsty, think I will pop up to the vet with him and see what they say.
Nicola

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly had one runny eye at one point a couple of years back. I tried everything including bathing her eye and checking it regularly. It was driving my mad as it was discolouring the hair under her eye, and it didn't look nice at all.

I took her to the vets who said it could be blocked tear ducts and that a procedure, which included a general anaesthetic, to unblock them may stop the running. The vet said there was about an 80% chance that the procedure would stop the running, so I decided to have it done.

Thankfully the procedure was a great success and he managed to unblock them fully. The vet was delighted and said that the running will now stop - which it did immediatly. No more runny eye, and eventually after a few days the hair under her eye started to lighten again and was soon as white as it should've been.

I think the operation was around £160 - the insurance covered it although obviously I had to pay the excess.

Not sure that's what the problem is with Jake but I thought i'd let you know about Molly's runny eye.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe hes crying coz his shoulder is sore????

x
Nicola

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have added aswell that Molly's eye wasn't inflamed and didn't particularly look irritated, it's just the that liquid in her eye couldn't be drained through the tear ducts and so overspilled her eye and on to her face.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago Jodie had surgery to unblock a tear duct, and it was successful. However, it only affected one eye, and I would think possible but rather unlikely that 2 would be affected at the same time.

She now, however, has misaligned tear ducts, which means that her tears do not drain into either duct and run down her face. I have to clean the area under her eyes at least once daily. Her colouring is such that the staining is not particularly obvious. Surgery is available for this, but at her age, I am not inclined to have it done - the fewer anesthetics the better!
Fiona

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took him to the vet tonight and she put dye in his eye. Now what should happen is within under 1 minute the green dye should run out of his nose. With Jake it took around 5 mins to run down. She seems to think its just his age and the fact he is growing so quickly that the tear ducks have yet to catch up. She called it growing in to his face Laughing

I have eye drops for him and he has to go back next Tuesday for both a leg check and eye check Very Happy Wonder what else can go wrong before then Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting, Fiona! Obviously, their heads and faces do grow, but I had no idea this could affect tear ducts and things!! Laughing Hopefully as he grows it'll stop. Keep us posted. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: