Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Walkies.... help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashley
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Walkies.... help! Reply with quote

Righty,

Well we picked up Holly last night, and the 2 hour journey back to The Village was fine... she slept curled into my neck all the way home and didnt pee or be sick! Phew.

So we tried to get her to go for a little walk before getting inside but she was having none of it... wouldnt move!

So we set up a litter tray in doors and have kept placing her in it... although she's just been wormed again and her poos are rather squishy - what I woke up to this morning was LOVELY!!! Shocked Confused

She was fine during the night though.... could hear her whining a few times but we just completely ignored her and she settled down fine!

This morning we tried to take her out for a walk and she was having none of it again. We plonked her on the grass and tried to get her to walk, but no no... she just sat there shivering!! I tugged her a bit and stood for about 5 mins and still, she sat shivering. Then I noticed a woman walking two big Alsatians, crapped myself and brought her back into the flat!! Shocked
When we got back in she was just shivering and went over to lay by the heater....

Other than that, things are fine... she's a little jittery and is unsure of our wooden floor as she keeps slipping.

Its weird, I read sooo much about bring your puppy home and what to expect and what to do, and now I feel like I have no idea.

Ramble over!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Rolling Eyes
marcella

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awww, glad you've finally got her! Very Happy
Lots of puppies refuse to walk on a lead at first, most of them do infact. Just keep positive encourage her as much as you can and when she does walk praise her. She'll get there.

As soon as she wakes up (every time) take her outside onto the grass and wait for her to pee, when she does again make a fuss and treat her. She'll quickly get the hang of doing the toilet outside. If you watch her you'll get to know when she's needing. Puppies will wander around sniffing, that's usually a sign that they need.

Keep persevering with the lead, she will get there. Perhaps try a little bit of cheese or hotdog (both are strong smells and dogs love them!) give her a little and then move forward on the lead and call her to you for another treat ........... worth a try. Very Happy

Can't wait to see her!!!!!

As for 2 big Alsations ............... don't worry, loads of them are big wusses!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
Isabel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we first got doogle he was petrified of going outside (you'd never think so now!!!), you just need to do it little steps at a time, we got him used to being in the front garden first then moved onto a little walk down the road, i used to carry him up and down the road as well when he was little just to get him used to it. Lots of gentle coaxing with treats should help. She's just had a big upheavel leaving her mum so she is probably feeling a bit wary. I used to think that doogle would never like going outside cos he was such a wuss but he loves it now, don't worry she'll get there Very Happy
Eleanor
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ashley

so glad Holly has arrived home, life will never be the same again

if she was whining during the night it may have been that she was letting you know she needed to toilet, this may have saved you cleaning up this morning (lovely)...............it could be a while before she is clean all night, so it may be an idea to take her out even if it is 3.am and raining (the joys of being a puppy owner are never ending Laughing)................been there, honest

When my dog was very young I crated her over night beside my bed where I could hear if she asked out, and yes I asked myself many times during the night when standing in the garden 'what have I done', but this doesn't last too long and is worth it in the long run as she will only make a noise if she really has to go and it will help with the toilet training.

It will take a little time for Holly to form a strong bond with you and learn to trust you, take it slow with her outside with lots of praise and encouragement. Confidence plays a big part, she has had the company, protection and leadership of her mum up until now and you are now taking on the role of her pack leader, but she will get there with time and patience.

You may wish to get Holly used to walking on the lead indoors before you take her for a lead walk outside, really frustrating as I'm sure you want t show her off as a proud new owner, but again it's time and patience.

Enjoy the joys of dog ownership, it is fun

Keep us posted on how she is getting on

Eleanor
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just been going through all this for the first time with my wee Rufus, so I totally know how it feels! I did loads of reading, but when I was actually left with him I panicked over EVERYTHING, from feeding, to training, to whether he was too clingy!

With the walk on the lead, at first I just let Rufus into our garden to go to the bathroom without a lead on, but after he slipped through the fence and up the street I stopped it! I kept him on a lead, and just stood in the middle and let him wander, which was fine. Before he had all his jags, I would try to walk him in the garden and house, to get used to the lead and he would roll, and fight the lead and try to chew it! I got a really good piece of advice from the schnauzer forum, the woman there said not to worry about training him to walk on the lead, as when he actually gets out for his first 'proper' walk, he will be so excited that the lead will be the last thing he thinks of! And that was how it was with Rufus, from the first walk he has been no problem on the lead. He will sometimes pull a little bit if there is something desperately exciting that he wants to get too, but generally he is no problem, and trots along happily beside us. (though beside us is still nowhere near 'heel' which we are struggling to learn!!)

Good luck with the wee one!
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!
Well I had success with her today (this was possibly the 100th try). I put on my high pitched, super happy voice and 'trotted' along the path, and she followed, on the lead! I kind of jogged, enticing her with cheese the whole way and she done it. Granted, she did give in eventually and wouldn't move, but at least it was progress!

Got an appointment at the vet today to get her registered and just for a general check up as she has already had her vacs.

Also managed to get her to pee on some newspaper! So lots of cheers for her there Laughing

She still tends to not 'do anything' outside on our walks, but wait until she gets back into the flat!
That is the other problem, we don't have a garden so i'm certainly getting fit running up and down the stairs haha. Thankfully we've got lots of space nearby, we're right next to a football pitch and lots of grass (don't know if you know where I mean, in The Village).

At least we're making progress i guess. Cool Cool Very Happy Smile
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that great Ashley. Very Happy
Persevere with taking her out as much as possible, she'll get it sooner rather than later if you do!
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley you just need to be patient and have lots of perseverence in you Laughing Good luck
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. She is doing better and will walk on the lead for a bit. I think the problem just now, is that she doesnt like the rain and cold... just sits shivering. Dont think we'd have a problem with her walking to heel, as she tends to stay close - but im sure if I were to let her she would grow out of it when she is more confident - so we're not going to let that happen.

I was going to pop into the training last night with her, but she still has diarrhea so will wait til that clears up!

She did hold on all night last night, so we woke to some pee, but no poo... she waited til John-David got up to let her out.

Thanks everyone!

Very Happy xx
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like she's doing good Ashley! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: