Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Walking to heel - help pleeeaassse!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Walking to heel - help pleeeaassse!! Reply with quote

Guys, Rufie is so quick normally, but he is not getting this walking to heel!
He is by far the worst in the class!

Do you have any good tips for teaching him to do this? He is fine to walk on the lead and doesn't pull or anything (unless he see's something particularly tempting!) but to do the actual 'heel'..nah just not having it!
StuartW
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't offer any specific advice.. Doogle isn't exactly the best trained Spaniel in the world Rolling Eyes ... but he will heel like a demon when I have his food bowl in my hand, or when he's following me out to the back door for a pee. Very Happy I suppose it depends on how strong the motivator is, and how focussed he is on me.
Karen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan I was always taught that when walking to heel you keep your back straight and face looking forward, left hand in close to your side and not flapping around distracting your dog, some dogs pick heel work up faster than others so it is practise little and often and lots of praise even if they walk to heel only for a few strides to start with and remember try and finish lesson on a high not negative, if you feel yourself getting frustrated at all then leave lesson for a while dogs pick up on your feelings quicker than you do yourself and good luck....
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan i agree with what Karen says! that is roughly what i did when i had my spaniels years ago! my two now are still not great at walking to heel but kendal has taken to training them and as Karen says again it takes practice and every dog learns at a different pace than others!

just keep practicing and you will get there! Smile
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the dog close to your left hand side on a short lead (not a retractable lead). Keep the lead loose and when you feel him pulling forward, gently pull him back again in to position beside you. Try and get his attention and reward him with praise and a treat for looking at you and being beside you. Just say something like "good boy" quietly, but cheery while slowly and gently rubbing down his left side, as the louder and happier you say it might get him excitable! If touching him get him going then leave that bit out! Laughing You'll know what he likes and what he responds well to. He should get the hang of it eventually but it does depend on the dog. Also, make sure the treats you give him are high value treats, again, you'll know yourself what he likes! Try not to bamboozle him with too many words, this will just confuse him.

I wouldn't concern yourself too much about him being close to you at first when he's walking on lead, although try to keep him as close to you as possible but concentrating more on him actually being beside you and not away in front (or behind).

I also found that just walking briskly, with the dog on my left on a short lead, pulling it back gently but keeping on walking and not slowing down, helped with dog picking walking to heel up very quickly. Some dogs just get the hang of walking beside you on a lead without putting much work in, other dogs require a lot more time and effort put in to keeping the dog beside you to heel on lead!

Good luck Susan, let as know how you get on with the wee terror! Smile Wink
amandawhitelaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: walking to heel Reply with quote

No way is rufie the worst walking to heel in the class. Remember Yoda the choc lab he defo has the power of the force with him when walking. I have the exact same problem. However, people gave me great info. after long deliberation i decided on the use of a A halti at least just for a while. I put it on yoda on sunday and she was walking to heel on the monday without the halti. dont ask how she done it i have no idea. She must have decided i am not having this halti. Dont get me wrong the moment she sees someone or another dog she goes streight to pulling again. I supose it is baby steps.
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for all the suggestions guys!

I have read them all, and will take tips from them. I have been thinking though, I think that the main issue is that right now, he doesn't understand 'heel', he doesn't really know what I am asking for, so I need to really concentrate on that and spend a few evenings with him. I have neglected his training the past couple of weeks, and it is up to me to make sure that he does his homework from class!

lol, Yoda is lovely!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: