Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
trimming hair.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: trimming hair. Reply with quote

Any suggestions as to the easiest way to trim Rosie's fur especially behind her ears where she scratches it into dreadlocks. I always dread it as she hates it so much and for all she is a very chilled out lady there are some things she really detests and me trying to trim her hair is way up at the top of the list.
Once she scratches that's it , the only way to remove the tangles is cutting. They do NOT brush out. Confused
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried treats?
Dale didn't like the long hair under his tail being combed, but just doing a very little every day with plenty of treats and praise has helped a lot. At first it was one treat for every stroke of the brush. I mixed smelly sausage with some of his usual food so he didn't get too fat! Also try running your fingers through that bit and get him used to you handling that area.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Janice - treats should certainly help. Don't do it on your own though, get someone to help - they can hold the dog gently but firmly while you do the dirty work!
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny you should ask this.... I was thinking of posting the same thing.

With Holly being a spaniel, then the hair at her bum gets very long.
I've been touching her all round there since we got her, and that she doesnt mind... but as soon as i put a pair of scissors there, then she is having none of it. Is it that sort of thing you mean Gaelle?

I just trimmed Holly's bottom hair (since poo was getting stuck there Confused ) just before her bath, but waited until she was sleeping. That worked for me.

Its very frustrating though, so i can completely sympathise with you Gaelle. The treat thing is a good idea, might give that a go myself with more treats than i have been trying Very Happy
Eleanor
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree that treats are good for distracting the puppy while the other person does the cutting, you really need two people as scissors are dangerous with quick moving puppies.

Gaelle, I have two spaniels and I use a metal dog comb on their ears, and they don't get matted, grooming should be done little and often, especially with the ears. The hair around the ears can also be kept short which may be help Rosie

Girls, it's a good idea to start getting Holly and Cuthbert used to having their paws checked and the excess hair on their paws trimmed as they will have hairy feet as they get older.................Ashley you're right it is much easier to do this when they are sleepy.

have fun

Eleanor Smile
Gaelle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley,
Yes that is pretty much what Rosie's like, she will take petting and getting her ears or anywhere else touched gently (she has severe arthritis so gently it always has to be) but the instant I get scissors out or even start to identify the areas that need attention, no that is not on!! So it is a bit of a trial to say the least. Today I'll venture out again into PAH this time to but some decent scissors. All the scissors I have used in the past are now so blunt that even I squirm when I feel them trying to saw at any hair! What would be ideal would be scissors with one round point and one sharp one. (Sorry don't know how else to describe them.) but I can only see 2 sharp points. Suppose I'll just have to be extra careful when using them!!! All the advice given seems very useful and I'll definitely try it and once I get the hair the way I want I'll try to keep it that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: