Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dogs in season, any advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan McK
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Dogs in season, any advice? Reply with quote

We think Tess is about to break down and have her 1st season, does anyone have any advice? We dont intend getting her dressed as we are going to breed her when she is about 2-3.

How long does a typical season last?

Can you get something from the vet to stop other dogs paying attention? Does it work?

Can you get things to cover her, to stop stains? ( We have a cream carpet in living room and a new suite getting delivered on Wednesday)

All suggestions are welcome!!
Lindy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Dan the joys Laughing Basicly cover the carpet in blankets not nice looking but keeps it clean. If you put the pants/covers on the girls it can cause infections in the vagina as you should let the bloon flow, also it's not so bad with the wee dogs Laughing thank god, both my girl have been quite easy to deal with and we have wee cream carpets too and no mess so far (Dora has had 3 seasons and this is Lizzys 1st). Lizzy is in season just now and she has been very good keeping herself quite clean. Try and keep out of the way of the boys so you don't get them at the door or hanging about (not that common anymore but you never know with a persistant boy) I know not that easy just keep her on the lead, try not let her pee atr the door so as not to attarct them. Also don't let any of the old moaners get you down as they will all moan about you taking her out inseaon!!! like you sould keep her in NOT she needs her walks and exercise and if you keep her on the lead then nothning will happen to her.

I have agreat book called " Book of the Bitch" a great book if you intend to breed my bible, pretty much a step by step guide worth getting if you are going to breed a good investment for £6.
shirley c

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you intend breeding from her I would advise you to avoid suppressants from the vet, they have been known to stop a bitch coming back into season...not commonly but a risk I wouldnt take if I intended breeding.

I mostly keep Moya and Pixel restricted to the garden during seasons, but I do have a big garden and they dont need the same exercise as JRTs anyway...they like it but just dont go stircrazy if they dont get (and its cruel not to give them any walks Smile )
Dan McK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Lindy, I'll check that book out.

Shirley, Janey had been talking to someone who works in a vets last night at keep fit and had been told the same thing about the jags to stop it, that they can create problems in the uteros, so we will be avoiding them.

I couldnt keep her in for 3 weeks, she would be demented, and so would we be with her!!! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: