Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Transporting your dogs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
denis
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Transporting your dogs Reply with quote

I got to quite a few dog shows and I'm dismayed to see folks with vans and estate cars with cages in the back.

The most common types of accidents on our roads are rear-end shunts, every car or van has the fuel tank located below the floor just behind the rear bumper, in the event of another motor hitting yours the fuel tank could rupture and burst into flames.

In such an event, if you don't have another escape exit for your dogs that are in a cage how are you gonna get them out, remember, another vehicle crashing into the back of yours will probably make it impossible to open the rear doors.

I never transport my dogs in cages, they're restricted to the back of the car with a guard and partition, however, in the event of a rear-end accident I can open the side doors to let them out quickly.
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two go into the back of my car as it's a large 4x4 they have enough room and sit there with no need even for a dog guard. They never attempt to come over the back of the seats. But when travelling in the van (LWB Transit) they are crated for their own safety.
denis
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the cages secured to the vans floor Marcella ? do you have two exits in the cages ?
Magz
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand your thinking on this, but generally alot of thought goes into safety nowadays in cars should rear ending occur, I drive a zafira and usually have to use all 7 seats when traveling with my brood, there is very little space between the back row of seats and the boot if i was to think about someone driving into the back off me all the time I would probably never drive again or drive a tank.
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denis wrote:
Are the cages secured to the vans floor Marcella ? do you have two exits in the cages ?

The rear of the van has two exits and each crate has two exits. No they are not secured to the floor. They are extremely large and heavy crates and sit at the top end of the van. The inside of the van is designed for carrying goods we use for work and it has removeable sections that go across the width of the van that would stop any movement of the crates should something major hit the van. Simply braking hard doesn't move them!

I also agree with Margaret, cars are better designed nowadays anyway. If anything hits hard enough chances are crates could possibly save them!
linsey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how often do petrol tanks actually explode into flames during/after crashes tho?

I'm just wondering because I remember watching a program once about it and the premise of the program was that it very rarely happens apart from in the movies where they do it for dramatic effect! They were trying to engineer crashes to see if the petrol tanks did explode... might have been something like "brainiac - science abuse"

Thing is, if your dog wasn't in a crate surely there is just as much chance of it getting hurt, unless you have a dog seatbelt? Cos it could fall into the footwell, fly forward and flatten you or god knows what...
Nikki
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right Linsey it doesn't happen very often!! I have been in 6 serious crashes and it hasn't happened so far!! Shocked (Not that I'm hoping it ever does) It is very rare!!

I couldn't not have Millie in her crate if we are going anywhere that takes longer than 5 mins because she gets bored and wants to come sit on my knee or she's sick!! Crying or Very sad Laughing So a crate is a necessity (sp)!

Nikki x
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think the wee dog harnesses are a good idea?I have one for Rufus, but I don't use it, I just let him sit on either the passenger seat/someone's knee/the back seat! He's just a small dog, but I'm not sure if it is safer or not for him to be restrained? I know there are the horror stories of them going through the windows!
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought a car crate recently because he was getting thrown about in the back of the estate and just wasn't happy. He's much happier in the crate, as he's used to one.

We could easily get him out though by dropping the back seats.

I think what's far more dangerous is people who drive about with their dogs loose in the front/back seat. That dogs going through the windscreen or cracking the driver's skull.
linsey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan wrote:
Do you guys think the wee dog harnesses are a good idea?I have one for Rufus, but I don't use it, I just let him sit on either the passenger seat/someone's knee/the back seat! He's just a small dog, but I'm not sure if it is safer or not for him to be restrained? I know there are the horror stories of them going through the windows!

I have one for Leon... sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't... I know I should tho. Embarassed

He hates it tho - stops him looking out the window! Wink

In saying that, a lot of the time he is just in the boot (no crate)... he can't really do much in there and he just lies on his blankets and sleeps.
denis
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks, in no way was I trying to alarm you Wink I've seen a few rear-enders in my days, I must admit I've never seen one in flames though, but there's always that possibility.

Some cars have plastic tanks nowadays, I think Renaults are plasic, but it's not just the tank that could rupture, the fuel lines and connecting clips could do the same.

Re: harnesses, not a good idea IMO, either your dogs back or kneck could get broken.

We all try to do our best safety-wise but I try and consider the best options for my dogs safety.

Here's a pic of my solution to the potential rear-end shunt, the partition stops the dogs being thrown around side to side, the guard behind the front seats is welded to the floor and secured to the roof. I can fit padding on the lower part of the front guard to protect the dogs should they be thrown against it.

Barry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denis wrote:
Wink I've seen a few rear-enders in my days,

Going sligthty off track there Denis! Laughing Only kidding mate...
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linsey wrote:
I'm just wondering because I remember watching a program once about it and the premise of the program was that it very rarely happens apart from in the movies where they do it for dramatic effect! They were trying to engineer crashes to see if the petrol tanks did explode... might have been something like "brainiac - science abuse"

I watched that very same program. I think it was 'Mythbusters', but if not then it was something like that! Watching movies has just never been the same again!!!

To be honest, we do the same with Holly as Susan does with Rufus.... we've never travelled 'really' far with Holly, and if we were to, then I think i'd maybe use a harness, but Im not sure! Like Leon, she loves looking out of the window!
The whole 'car safety' thing is something I've been wondering about though!
denis
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
linsey wrote:

I watched that very same program. I think it was 'Mythbusters', but if not then it was something like that! Watching movies has just never been the same again!!!

To be honest, we do the same with Holly as Susan does with Rufus.... we've never travelled 'really' far with Holly, and if we were to, then I think i'd maybe use a harness, but Im not sure! Like Leon, she loves looking out of the window!
The whole 'car safety' thing is something I've been wondering about though!

Ashley, on hot days I also wind the rear widows down a little to let the dogs get a bit of air.
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denis wrote:
Ashley, on hot days I also wind the rear widows down a little to let the dogs get a bit of air.

Yip, Holly loves that too!!! Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: