Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
At The Vets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claire/Mark
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: At The Vets Reply with quote

Took Tara to the vets for the 3rd time to see if am able to get her dressed yet but there is still some milk there from the phantom pregnancy so they feel she is still going through it Shocked The vet has now told me that I can get the nurse to check her free off charge after the 3rd visit Laughing They gave me furosemide tablets to see if that will help, got home and checked the furosemide tablets and it was the exact same as the one's my mum takes wish I had knowing that before I went. Rolling Eyes Does anyone else have anymore suggestions the vet says I can still have her dressed even altho she is due in August Confused only if the phantom pregnancy is gone Smile
Emma*

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused wish i could offer you some advice, sorry. Good luck with the medication though fingers crossed it works!
alisonD
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope Tara gets better soon! Smile i really don't have a clue about anything like that sorry cant be any help Sad
shirley c

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ideas at all, sorry....hope she finishes her false pregnancy soon. Moya never went on as long as that and she never really produced much milk either...wish I had better ideas Sad
Allan Campbell
Trainer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire as soon as her false pregnancy is over .. get her dressed the time the vets prefer to wait is the ideal time( 3 mnths after a season) but its not the only time to get it done .. when Shirley and i both worked with the retired greyhound trust there were 4 dogs a week into the vets at Clydebank ever week throughout the summer.. there was little notice taken of their last or next due season ... and never to my knowledge was there any problems arising from it .. even a few times ... there were dogs that only during the procedure were found to be in pup .. (horrific) but this was not known before the procedure took place ,and they came to us in that condition .. your vet should be able to get tara dressed at any time .. after her false pregnancy .. and before her next season ... incidentally .. if you were to wait until her next season theres a good chance she would have another phantom... and that is definitely not good for any bitch ... also ..her seasons may be thrown off ..out of sync because she will not be ready for her season at the time she normally would .. after being in a phantom for so long ...

alternatively ...because she is lactating .. does not automatically mean phantom pregnancy ... many bitches lactate on and of all their lives my old dog bess gone now for about 6yrs .. lactated for the last 5 yrs of her life .. no problems ... in fact i was sick with shirley running to vets to get blood tests to tell me what i already knew .. she was fine .... dont worry too much claire ... with you and mark looking after her and attending the vet regular .. she will be fine

never typed so much in my life ... O_o
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks Everyone
Gaelle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't advise you one way or another but I can tell you about what happened with Rosie. When I first got her she was about 5 years old and unspayed and we had no medical history for her at all. When she went into the first season a few months after coming to us, she became to all appearances, depressed afterwards then went into a false pregnancy. This lasted until shortly before her next season (despite vet treatments), then the same things happened again only worse, she started to lactate and was so miserable. We decided that getting her spayed at the first opportunity was a good idea for her, and like we were advised tried to hold off until the optimum time, the only trouble was she was showing every sign of going straight from false pregnancy into a season and the vets wanted her milk to have dried up before even contemplating surgery. At the end of the day the vet decided that despite her not being completely free of milk , even with treatment for it , it was sufficiently reduced to go ahead. The op went well and for a couple of years she was fine but gradually she started to develop other more generalised "off colour" type symptoms which when they were all put together pointed to hormone imbalances. This included urinary incontinence which can often affect spayed bitches in later life. Despite homoeopathic treatment which was ongoing throughout the rest of her life , we never cured the problems, just managed them. I'm not saying that spaying her caused these problems (except perhaps the incontinence) or that these problems wouldn't have happened anywaybut were I faced with the same choices now, would I make the same decisions? I would try homoeopathy sooner but surgery at that point? I just don't know. All you can do is do your research,listen to veterinary opinions and make up your own minds. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: