Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Toilet Training

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colin
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Toilet Training Reply with quote

I am sure this is likely an old chestnut but I don't know if we are just being a little too impatient or not being firm enough or...

Tried the toilet training mats and Buddy likes to pick them, chew them, sleep on them or take them into his crate, everything but pee or poo on them!

Followed Marcella's advice in the post below, but with little success and the success experienced seems to be more fluke than anything else. I think I can spot the signs before he needs to go, I will take him out, he sniffs about a lot, it looks promising but no dice. I then take him back in the house after, sometimes as much as 20 minutes, and he will do one immediately in the house.

It's not always in the same place (or room for that matter) - so I dont think he has a favoured spot.

Any tips on where I could be going wrong? Embarassed

Colin

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:45 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, I think what you need to do when house training a puppy is to watch them closely. When they wake up, take them straight outside for a pee because they always need when they wake up and keep them there until they do it, then loads of praise. When they are moving around the house there are usually tell tale signs when they need, you can usually see when they are thinking about it. Pick the pup up and get them straight outside ASAP and again wait until they do it followed by 'clever boy/girl!'
Ashley
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww Colin... you're really not having much luck are you? lol

Carry on doing as you are, and you will get there... it does just take longer for some dogs than others.

What I would do though, is when you see the signs that he needs to go and take him out... dont talk to him or look at him or play with them or ANYTHING, until he does the toilet. I used to do this with Holly. I would also stay in the one position and not move until she done her needs. This worked great, and she now does the toilet as soon as she goes out, before we properly begin our walk.

Hope that helps.
kendal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try when he does 'go' out side say a word like pee pee, be clean, tinkle, toilet etc. it is a word that he will learn to associate with going to the toilet.
we used Pee Pee the girls now do it on command when they need, you just take them out say pee pee and the squat almost instantly.

but i saying this Inca was the hardest to toilet train, hence why we nick named her stinky, Laughing

best of luck.

charlene

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendal wrote:
you could try when he does 'go' out side say a word like pee pee, be clean, tinkle, toilet etc. it is a word that he will learn to associate with going to the toilet.
we used Pee Pee the girls now do it on command when they need, you just take them out say pee pee and the squat almost instantly.

but i saying this Inca was the hardest to toilet train, hence why we nick named her stinky, Laughing

best of luck.

haha yeah thats exactly wat i done with tina, just say the word pee pee and she goes right away Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin,
we have the same problem, but seems to be weather permitting!
If its raining outside Giles is having none of it and cant wait to come in and pee all over the floor.

He also will not pee or poo outside on a walk yet - so don't expect the walkies milestone to answer all your problems! (as thats what we thought!)

however, he has been getting better over the past week - we have halved the amount of training pads we use now as he has now started telling us he wants out. Makes it easier to confine him in the room you are in - we have on occasion just let him get the run from the livingroom trhough to the kitchen and the conservatory. Often unable to see his very subtle signs of need the toilet.
We have been close to nervous breakdown - but the outlook is improving as we were talking about bringing down the Rug for the livingroom again!!!

I reckon he will get it in time - you just need to be consistent and it will fall into place in time.
Janis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm just going to strengthen what the others have said.............about 15 mins after eating or drinking get him out and encourage and then when hes successful praise him and give him a treat liver cake in my case!

also as soon as he wakes get him out and repeat!.........................gypsy our first was almost clean in about 5 days and thought we would have the same success with inca Rolling Eyes ..........how wrong were we..............it took months! Shocked .............as kendal siad she earned the name stinky inca! Laughing Laughing

keep up the good work it will all fall into place in time!...............honest!
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, just to echo pretty much the above here's the method I've employed with all of mine (it also helps if you have an older already toilet trained dog because pup will follow their example:

...start as you mean to go on. After EVERY nap that he has pick him up and take him into your garden and start using the "toilet phrase" of your choice. Ours is "do a wee wee" ALL of ours "go" on command now having learned the phrase. After every meal, within 20 minutes of him eating, take him outside and use "the phrase". EVERY time he stoops to go pick him up and take him outside and say the phrase. If he shows no signs of stooping STILL take him outside every hour or so (he's got a tiny bladder) and encourage him to go. You will be amazed at how quickly he picks up this routine and will soon start to "tell" you he wants to go, either by body language, verbal signs OR as in our lots case little pony like trotting routine towards the back door . I'm not a fan of the training pads, I think it encourages pup to go indoors and he'll look for something soft and comfy to go on when you decide to stop using them. By all means use them if you are going out but whilst you are there follow the above and you'll find it a much quicker and more effective method of toilet training. Don't forget to praise him to the heavens EVERY time he does his business outside - dogs love NOTHING more than praise and attention from their adoring masters

Hope that's of use to you - Good luck and remember - perseverence is key Wink
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup all the above worked for us....he now pee pees and poo poos on command. Though we got him at 3 months and he was already used to going outside so we had very few issues.

You soon know when they will do it ie after sleeping, eating, playing and just pre-empt it and make it part of the routine ie don't just wait for signs, though if you do spot the sniffing, whip them outside..

If they do it inside, don't react to it, just clean it up. Also, if you can try to get him to walk out himself rather than carry him, that way he gets used to walking to the door if he needs out. though that is easier with a big galoot of a puppy.

the crate will also help - he won't want to pee and poop in there, but it will happen a few times.

We also didn't give liquid after 9pm....if it was hot a few ice cubes are enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: