Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
meg bites when she is happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan and Lynsey
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: meg bites when she is happy Reply with quote

Hi All,

This is my first post so please bear with me.

We bought meg from her previous owners when she was 9 months, she apparently was not trainable according to her previous owners, this I have learned is a load of rubbish, we have only been come to training classes at 12:30 for the last 4 or 5 weeks and already she is doing the sit, stay and down no problem. My main question is Meg will do a gentle bite when she has not seen you for a while or if you are someone new, she will put her mouth over your hand but not bite down completely. Is there a way to get her to stop this? Or will she grow out of it?

cheers,
Alan Very Happy
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi alan and meg and welcome!

i have met meg over the last few weeks and she is just lovely ......i'm the lady with the liver cake! Rolling Eyes Laughing ............from what i have seen meg is coming along just fine however we only see her for a sort time and you are the one who lives with her 24/7

i know what you mean about the mouthing and there is no definite bite however i would discourage it!..............a sharp 'NO'.......when she does it so she knows what she is being told off for!..............i doubt it will be someting she will grow out of!....................a key training tip is praise what is good ............ignore or correct what is wrong!

for example if you walk into a room and for instance she is wanting your attention and jumping just ignore her and keep turning away from her and she will soon get the message.

when she goes to mouth or bite when meeting someone pull her back by the scruff of the neck and a sharp 'NO' ..............i personally would give a tap on the nose but not everyone agrees and that is fine ! it suits me and my dogs are fine !

i'm sure john and others will have advice on this!
Alan and Lynsey
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS JANIS,

All tips are appreciated.

Alan Very Happy
Ann, John JJ and Kyle
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dexter our 5 month old lab who is in the same class used to do this frequently. We used to let out a high pitched squeal right at the point of contact of his mouth with hand and then ignore him for a few minutes and it has all but stopped. only a few repetitions required from each of us in the house. Only happens now when some of our visitors or John are playing slightly rough with him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: