Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Loner Dog
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ann, John JJ and Kyle
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Blessing in disguise as I don't have company in the loo. John is in tonight and we have called him through to join us. He was with us when I started this post but has now left the room to be on his own. This after an evening on his own.
Jack
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's obviously not John he's waiting for then! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

He obviously likes his own space and company - he might become more social (for want of a better term) but maybe he'll always wander off to have time by himself.....out of interest...were you in the Conservatory together? Mine for some reason aren't overly keen on being in ours with us either but if we're in the lounge they don't leave us at all except to trot to the kitchen for a drink then straight back again......just a thought....maybe it's the room itself that he doesn't like and goes into guarding mode by the front door Confused
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he have a bed in the conservatory? We've trained Otto to "lie down" in either in his 2 permanent beds (crate and bed in living room) or the moveable cushion.

He will lie down where he's told, but depends where everyone is - he has to see what's going on so often the cushion moves to him if the position isn't strategic enough for pack monitoring.

He often hangs out in a room by himself, usually because there is warmth involved - either the sun or a radiator. But they are creatures of habits, I've noticed he lies in the same places at the same time of day.
Ann, John JJ and Kyle
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have had a breakthrough, I sat on his bed in the conservatory tonight with a bonio for him and a coffee. I called him through spoke to him and petted him and he stayed for 15 minutes, left for a drink and then came back without being called. He has now returned to being at the door, but only after I sat back up. I am now more of the opinion that he has it in his head that when I am sitting he gets ignored and will have to hope that we can have this behaviour situationally. Will have to request a comfy floor cushoin from Santa for me as the tiled floor gets quite hard and I don't think we should be sharing his bed. does that go against pack order?
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As YOU are the pack leader YOU choose who sits where. I regularly snuggle up with my pooches on the floor, sofa, chair bed, THEIR bed....wherever I want in fact. Wink GREAT news that you have had a breakthrough with him coming back in voluntarily!!! Cool

They just love attention so don't mind where we are. If I don't want them somewhere such as if they are hogging the bed then they get sent down onto the floor. I never back down they DO!

Santa definately needs to bring him that snuggly bed for the conservatory and you'll find he voluntarily comes in there with you much more often - I wouldn't want to sit me bum on a cold floor so I can't blame him for not wanting to Laughing Laughing Laughing
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably is the floor - I have never seen Otto lie on laminate or tile.

if you got him a cushion or a bed he'll probably lie in it - specially if you put it somewhere warm. Otto knew what it was right away and prefers the big dog cushion to the vet bed (as would I!!) - course this means if he finds duvets or cushions on the floor he automatically assumes "mmm bed".

He doesnt have much hair or fat to cushion his bony legs so makes sense.
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendal wrote:
Gypsy is the same, when mum is out she will sit in the hall and watch the front door or just sleep there till mum comes home or i show interest in playing hen she will more often than not go back to 'her spot in the hall'.
Inca on the other hand will fallow me from room to room and settle where ever i do. he is obviously happy sitting at the door.

lets face it you would be complaining even more if he wouldn't give you Peace and kept barking at you or dropping toys on your lap when you are busy.

do you ever get that where as soon as you tell someone about something that normally happen with out fail and then as soon as you said it the exact opposite happens.

well for me this is one of theas times, since i posted this Gypsy has barley left my side when mum is out and sometimes even when mum is in. she has also been spending evenings on my lap both before and after mum has gone to bed Rolling Eyes im not knocking it though, its just typical that this always happens to me. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Lorna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't they always make you out to be wrong. I was complaining about Basil being anti-social and then he goes round the Glen with the other dogs and is as good as gold...
Poppy is usually all over John when he is home and yet tonight she is in her crate playing with toys by herself. He keeps asking if she is in the huff.
Ann, John JJ and Kyle
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, the cushion was for me, Dexter has a lovely comfy bed and rug in the conservatory which is what I was sharing. He has again joined us both tonight. Loving it. Unfortunately, John has drawn the short straw to go out in this awful rain. Don't know if I will love it as much when he comes in soaking wet. Thank goodness for his new man about town coat which was debuted on Mondays walk.
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw - well I wouldn't want me bum on a hard conservatory floor either so can't knock you for that! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm so glad that with a bit of encouragement he's spending more time with you......and don't blame you in the slightest for handing on the walking duties to hubs.......he's a man.....doesn't matter if his hair gets wet/windswept! Wink Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Ian offers to do the morning/wet walking then casts it up to me at a later date, so I try to do my fair-ish share.

I don't need asked twice if I'd rather stay in my bed, though I do feel better for it if I do the morning walk.
Ashley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ann, it has to be better than tripping over your dogs because they insist on following you everywhere lol Laughing Laughing Laughing (I love it really).
Our Murphy is a bit like that... he is quite independant and will just wander off and lie in the hall or in his bed in the living room or sometimes he will go to the spare room and lie in his crate. He does love his cuddles as well, but is that bit more independant than Holly... Who has to be literaly touching you all the time! Shocked Laughing Rolling Eyes
Kendal, holly definitely does the pestering thing sign5 Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: