Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Worming putting puppies off their food

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allie_jane
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Worming putting puppies off their food Reply with quote

Hi there,

On Monday I wormed Jake and Tess (8 weeks old) with some powders I got from the vet, I was meant to give them 2/3 each for 3 days.

Day 1 went fine, but on day 2 they wouldn't eat anything, they they will still drink but they have runny bottoms and look really sad and lethargic..

Today is day 3 and so far they have each had 1/3 of a 3 day dose (only day 1) and haven't really eaten for a day and a half.

I've got an appointment at the vet's for this afternoon (first time puppy owner) but I wanted to know, is this normal?

Cheers

Allie
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest allie i have never had worming powders or tablets from a vet i tend to buy from the local pet shop!

i currently have echo who is now 16 week and i worm her with my other two every month ......now that might seem a bit too often but that's just how i do it.

i like to worm them monthly on a smaller does and know that they are fine and that my family particularly my 5 year old son is ok two as we all get down and roll around with the dogs!
i have never found them to be lethargic or troublesome!

if fact all my dogs were just wormed yesterday........echo took hers in a piece of meat without any trouble!

just to add another thing is that i find it cheaper at the pet shop and does the same job.....you don't have to worm them monthly like me.......every 3 months or so would be fine...............if you are looking in the pet shop look out for one for puppies and one that covers both round and tape worm!
allie_jane
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the puppy worming syrup from the pet shop, but the vet offered the powders when they got their first jags so I thought it would be better to go with that.

I just hate seeing them so down in the dumps, I know it's probably because they have no energy because they are not eating but it's such a worry.

I forgot to add that this morning I found 2 worms on the floor in the house, I don't think they came from the "back end" as they were clean, I'm guessing that one or both of the pups have thrown them up..

Anyway - better safe than sorry, the appointment with the vet is for 4:40 this afternoon, I'll let you know how it goes.

Allie
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Allie that when I tried to use the sachets many moons ago the dogs refused to eat point blank so I switched to Panacur tablets but for very young puppies I used the Panacur paste which you syringe into their mouths - highly effective and I've never seen any evidence of worms in any of my pets. Cool

Worms themselves, if pets have a fair few, WILL bring about the symptoms you describe above not the treatment. I'd recommend switching the product you use to clear them up and the dogs will be right as rain in no time Wink
Margaret J
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same as Janis .....i worm my dogs using off the shelf tablets and have found them just as effective as the vets choice...only cheeper

my lot are quite greedy and will take the tablet and eat it like a sweet Very Happy and my youngest like Janis's is only 16 weeks...... Laughing

good luck with it all........go with whatever you are more comfortable with using
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my worming tablets from the vet, some new thing they have brought out, I don't remember the name but it was only £2. Tilly was fine after it, was a little off her dinner but was back to normal the next day.

I've never heard of a worming powder
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna wrote:
I get my worming tablets from the vet, some new thing they have brought out, I don't remember the name but it was only £2. Tilly was fine after it, was a little off her dinner but was back to normal the next day.

I've never heard of a worming powder

The worming powder is actually like crystals Anna and tastes very bitter to dogs which is why they're supposed to be well mixed in with only a little food to try and guarantee the puppy eating them - my lot weren't fooled however and refused to touch anything with the stuff in it. Back to Panacur for me. Highly effective and dead easy to administer Cool
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tilly knows when she is getting medicine, we take a small bit of ham, spread it with some dairylea and roll it up with the pill in the middle, Taste dog medicine
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I favour the hand down the throat routine myself Very Happy It's the most efficient method for me. I've done the whole wrapping stuff up in food but they just KNOW there's something in there even if I've prepped it without them being in the room with me and washed my hands afterwards so no scent remains - little sods ALWAYS pick the item with the tablet "hidden" in to chew (instead of immediately swallow Rolling Eyes ) and spit out.

So I just do it, no nonsense but non threatening then they get a teeny treat afterwards Smile
tricia
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Allie,
I have found over the years of owning dogs that worming powders are the worst and most difficult
way of worming your dog... the dog /pup knows they are there and will not eat there food!
So if you have been told to give these powders over 3 days, you could find that your pups just wont eat and will feel off colour. It sounds like the powder that you got them to take the 1st day ,did maybe work if they threw up worms....
It sounds like they may have quiet a high worm burden though, I have never experienced a pup/dog bringing up worms.

Pups get worms that are passed on from their mother... the bitch should be well wormed before becoming pregnant and then once the pups are born the breeder should treat the pups for round worm at 2 to 3 weeks and then every 2 weeks until they are 12 weeks old. After that a dog should be treated for all worms every 3 months.

I always use drontal or panacure worming tablets and find the best way is straight down the back of the throat, then hold their mouth shut for a couple of minutes while rubbing the throat to encourage them to swallow.
You can get these wormers from your vet or on line is cheaper.

Hope your puppies are eating again and feeling a bit better Smile
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaah - thanks tricia - was wracking my addled brain to try and remember the other brand I've used - it was Drontal!! Smile
tricia
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also meant to say... that you should treat you dog for fleas at the same time as worming
because the flea carries the Tapeworm egg!

And its not just in the summer time that you need to think about fleas.... with
homes all having central heating these days fleas and pupae can survive all year round.

Here are a couple of links to sites I use to buy animal medicines... a lot cheaper than the vet!
and usually free delivery Smile
http://www.animalmedicines.co.uk/search_results.asp?sec=29&category=Wormers

http://www.petprescription.co.uk/
allie_jane
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips,

Jake was very poorly last night so off to the vet we went, he suggested (as you did) that he probably had a high burden of worms (we wormed him 2 weeks ago and he was fine).

The vet - The Lawrie Practice, gave Jake a very small steroid injection and some gel to help bind him and stop the leaky bottom.

I was so worried about him, when we got him home he was floppy and listless, but we syringed some water into his mouth and let him sleep.

Wonder of wonders he woke up 2 hours later, starving and thirsty and hasn't looked back since. He is still passing worms but is much brighter and is starting to play with his sister again.

They are a little wonder, if it was me I'd stay in bed for a week.

Oh the stress...

Allie x
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy to hear jake is getting back to normal..............sadly you will discover that doggies are like kids and a constant worry Rolling Eyes and keep us on our toes!
Gaelle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janis wrote:
happy to hear jake is getting back to normal..............sadly you will discover that doggies are like kids and a constant worry Rolling Eyes and keep us on our toes!

Couldn't agree more Janis! Laughing Laughing
I'm very glad Jake is getting better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: