Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Ear mites/infection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawnQuinn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Ear mites/infection Reply with quote

....had Sasha at the vet today, after her bath last night when I was drying her ears I noticed a little blood inside her ear.

Since we have had her her ears have been very dirty, a dark brown wax with an unpleasant smell.

I've had dog's b4 but never had this. I didnt really think much of it as she doesn't really scratch them or seem bothered.

Ive just been cleaning them using a damp cloth.

When I noticed the blood I went straight onto the net, it suggested 'ear mites' Shocked

Phoned the vet and got appointment for this morning, she took a swab and looked at it under the microscope. She said there were no mites, but didnt rule it out.

She has given me ear drop's to use twice daily and ive to go back next friday. I also got a 'spot on' treatment called 'advocate' which helps prevent mites, fleas etc as well as worms.

Just thought id post this to let others know to watch out for this problem, apparently it is very common Rolling Eyes
Jack
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very common Dawn in some breeds more than others, my girls are always getting ear infections/mites. The drops I use from the vets are called Canaural and the ears clean up in only a few days. I've got Canaural on repeat prescription at the vets and always make sure I have a bottle stored in the fridge to save on vets consultation fees. Smile If dogs/cats are allergic to steroids however these drops won't suit them and you'll need to try an alternative.

Never heard of the drops you got, the ones I use are called Advantage, though I haven't needed to treat my cats/dogs for fleas in about 4 years Cool
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto's had them twice - they can catch them from long grass and they lespecially love big lugs!

The drops work a treat.
Louise13
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy Thornit Powder and you won't have to go to the vets the next time..this stuff is amazing..(remember and put it on their paws too..shake some into a small food bag or similar and put their paws in the bag and shoogle.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doogle used to get ear mites when he was little, they are more susceptible to them when they are young, ear drops wil sort it out. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: