Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
help with puppy biting and playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: help with puppy biting and playing Reply with quote

Can anyone help please? Murphy our 4 month old rescue pup is a right little live wire his puppy play biting is becoming an issue now both to us humans and his canine companion. We have a 3 year old Old English Sheepdog who is very good natured and lively too. They have always played well together but again that has become an issue with Murphy launching himself at her and pulling her ears and fur ( resulting in clumps of Maddi's fur in his mouth) We had hoped she would sort this out and tell Murphy off but she just seems to take it all then decide to play bite back. We have used firm tones and the command "no" which Maddi responds to instantly and Murphy will back off but only for split seconds before he is straight back in there. We have tried removing Murphy ( not to a different room) from Maddi and making him sit and stay which he does but again only briefly. This isn't a constant problem just when we have the "mad" playing times. Is this just a case of patience and keep trying? I've had dogs before together and don't remember this being an issue for this length of time.
Alison Crying or Very sad
Jack
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allie persistence is key - sorry love but yep - yo HAVE to correct the behaviour EVERY time he exhibits it. Play is fine but once it gets to the pitch you don't like you HAVE to tell him. You could also introduce a squirty bottle or water pistol and give him a dousing whenever he goes OTT using the word NO in a very firm , deep, loud voice - NO exceptions and the whole family has to do this so he gets the message - it's no good one person correcting him if the others let him get away with it when you're not there.

I have Staffies and their play often looks and sounds horrifically OTT but they rarely get to the OTT level as I always have and always do intervene - if Ella has hit her RedZone - not aggression BUT the point at which she is so over-exited she hardly hears commands it's very easy for me to overcome - I just get up and put my hands over Rosie's ears - THIS is the focus for ALL of her play - is Rosie's ears are inaccessible she loses interest PLUS it shows her I am claiming those ears as my own so she backs off - works every single time and she has never ever even attempted to nip my hands to get to Rosie's ears - she knows that's the point she has to calm it or risk my displeasure.

Sykes is a bit of a pain - he's very very vocal in play - he also has no sense whatsoever - as he gets carried away his playbites become very hard and I have had to step in numerous times in the past to prevent the girls from biting him back properly as he has hurt them and they are about to respond and put him in his place. As he has the pain threshold of a gnat even the slightest serious nip off them would have him squealing like a turkey on acid Rolling Eyes

Now I just say "HEY" in a loud voice and the play stops - it starts again shortly after as I never prevent them playing but it gives vital cool down time so when the play re-starts it is again at an acceptable level for all of our sakes. If Sykes starts off getting over enthusiastic again I say "hey" again and make him come and lie on his bed next to my chair - the girls are allowed to continue playing but he is not allowed to rejoin whilst he's still hyper.

Good luck - you'll get it sussed in time and all you will need will be the command word you use to break it up in the future. My "hey" command is the best I use - it gets their attention immediately and they respond to it incredibly well.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good bit of advice we were given about puppies is that it is like trying to cut a path through the jungle...takes a bit of effort and youre probably have to keep going over it until you can get from a to b smoothly and quickly.

Don't despair, they get it in the end as long you are patient and everyone does the same thing.
allie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Thank you for the valuable advice. Murphy seems to have so much cheek, confidence and determination guess we all just need to have more ha ha! Will come up with a key word to use, like you Jack when we move Murphy away we make him sit and keep doing that until hopefully he gets fed up. Even if he hurts Maddi her response of a snap doesn't seem to put him off.Fortunately our daughter is old enough to help us with consistency so we will keep at it and hopefully our wee treasure will get the message. Thanks again
Alison
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleasure Allie - pups are little monsters Very Happy and even the most sharp corrective nip from an adult doesn't seem to stop them. You're so right - this is a battle of wills and your will HAS to be the strongest - he'll get the message eventually, til then just keep us posted with his antics as he drives you demented OK? Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
allie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers again Jack. I will keep you posted either that or i'll be the one you see covered in scratches ha ha. It certainly is a battle of wills but i work in social work so i'm sure i can win Laughing It's so nice on this forum as a newbie to "talk" to so many nice people Cool Laughing
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of puppies I always seem to get Supernanny in my head....."that's just not acceptable behaviour. Get to the naughty step"

Ok so puppies aren't children, but as Supernanny always says = its boundaries, consistency and calm authority and assertiveness that wins out, not slapping, screaming and shouting Laughing Same principles.

I'm quite strict, I must say. There is very little human food consumption, no getting on beds and sofas and he has to sit before he gets anything, but he's also a cheeky chancer and I hope he never loses that.

It's so hard to be firm when you're laughing tho.
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think raising a puppy is akin to raising a child - I KNOW they're not human and I don't credit them with human emotions, reasoning or logic but I do think much of the same philosophy should apply. You teach your children acceptable behaviour and boundaries and so it should follow you do exactly the same with your dog - OK the behaviours and boundaries differ slightly but they should be there from the very beginning in each case. Just think how many times you have to say "no" to your child who's begging for something you don't want them to have - you stick your ground there and so you should with a pup or dog - it's the ONLY way they will learn and become the wonderful companion you want them to be. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: