Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Bad behaviour on walks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Bad behaviour on walks! Reply with quote

So just as we feel we're making progress with the biting and jumping on the furniture Dexter finds new ways to misbehave!

He has recently started barking and jumping at passers-by when we're out walking. He was really good before but he now growls and lunges at random strangers. We've tried to keep his attention with food, our voice and both long and short leads.

Any suggestions welcome!

Cat
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you see him gearing up to bark or jump at someone or does he not do it to every passer by. is it anything in particular about them that you think triggers him to bark ie man, woman, hat etc

how close does the person have to be before he with star to bark or try to lunge.

have you tried stopping and putting him into a sit and telling him to stay, giving him a sharp lead correction, or turning sharply in the opposite direction meaning he can no longer see the person coming and walking away, then turning back to pass them again.

lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfie went thru a stage of trying to run up to every person we passed when he was younger. We used the leave command which we were trying to teach for other reasons too like picking things up he shouldn't (18 months now and still ignores that one at times!!) I would put him in a sit when I saw anyone approach and say to leave. Id then use a treat/toy to hold his attention and usually kind of put myself between him and them so he couldn't do anything. Once they'd passed I'd make him walk on calmly, then he'd get the treat. But it took a few weeks of doing that every time to get him better.

We still hvent mastered the walking past dogs without lying on his back or dancing around. He's a bit of a scaredy. Anyone who saw him attempt the agility equipment will know that!!!!
mum of rambo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i obviously am in no position to give advice!!! but when rambo did or occasionally does this i noticed it was only when i had put tension on his lead(collar, especially using the prong collar) (i was trying to refrain him from jumping by shortening his lead and holding him back) but i was actually causing him to do it!!! when i eventually left the lead loose and 'trusted' him he doesnt do it.

i also practised the 'down' and 'stay down' command with willing and not so willing members of my family and friends that u can get away with doing it too!!!! so that it wasnt stangers he was practising on hahahaha

i couldnt find any other similaries in the people he would jump on except that it was the people that i was wary of!!!! and therefore tense.

sorry not much help just thought id say anyway lol!!!
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your advice, again!!

We have been adopting the sit down and let the people pass approach. Bribing him with cheese has also been a small success.

I've had him at both Strathclyde and Chatelherault parks this weekend and he has had a bit of off lead time. I had my nephews and niece with me both times and it seems to be that when he was distracted and playing with them he couldn't care less about people. He still hates cyclists and runners though and will jump at random people with a reduced frequency so there is still work to be done! There doesnt seem to be a strong pattern as to who he'll jump at. He ismore likely to jump at night or at people who have particularly pristine clothes on....

I do agree with the trust and freedom approach though as he was far better off lead than on.

Cat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: