Google Search
Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dragging us across the car park to get to training class!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carrie's-Mum

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Dragging us across the car park to get to training class! Reply with quote

Hi

Carrie appears to love her Thursday night training class SO much that she pulls really badly all the way from when she gets out the car until she gets into the waiting area. She hears the dogs barking from inside the hall, and sees other pups on their way in and it's just all too exciting for her.

I have thought of arriving early, so would have time to (try to!) correct her every time she pulls, and not allow her to proceed unless the lead is loose, but that would probably mean coming about 30 mins in advance(!) and, even then, I'm just not sure if she would ever respond to commands under these conditions.

Should we just accept that this is an unusually exciting situation, and that pulling is inevitable (at this stage anyway)? Or should we try to work on improving matters? If we don't, then we are being inconsistent, as are working hard at getting her to stop pulling on her walks. At the same time though, we do need to get into class EVENTUALLY, and not be at the end of our tether with trying to get her to behave, and therefore end up totally stressed by the time we arrive.

Any advice?! Does anyone have a similar problem?

Thanks

Jane
alice and susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

We have been going to Sunday class since 10 weeks old, Tia is now 17 months old and she knows when its school time , in fact we cant even say the word school without her getting excited, and she still pulls from the car to class, I do stop her and make her sit but she just voices her opinion until she can get in to see everyone.

I am sure Carrie will be fine ..

jeanie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz hi
its jeanie here...
keira is the exact same when she knows its class time.......but i try to keep her in check.....she knows she s meeting all her buddies so i m not too hard on her..cant wait till next day out walking with them all to see how she reacts......x
Carrie's-Mum

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're maybe fighting a losing battle with this one! A room full of dogs must be about as exciting as it gets. Can't ever see Carrie wafting into class like a dignified girl!

Jane
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep working at it, even just turn up 10-15 mins early and spend time working with her.

lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfies almost 2 and he still pulls to get into class once he gets to the corner and realises where he is. He walks well everywhere else but think it's just the excitement of all the dogs. I tend not to be too bothered about it. But making sure she's had a good walk first, and giving yourself some time to try and settle her might help?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: