Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
No eye contact

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carrie's-Mum

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: No eye contact Reply with quote

Hi

From time to time, and almost always when we are outside, Carrie (15-month old GSD) completely avoids all eye contact with me. This can make it very difficult to get her to respond to commands, and she isn't even interested in treats at these times.

She can "snap out of it" very suddenly and for no apparent reason. On this morning's walk, for example, there was no eye contact or rapport between us for the first 20 mins, then she suddenly starting to take notice of me, was looking up, taking treats and responding to commands, and remained like this for the rest of the walk.

Does anyone know what this is about, or had a similar experience with their own dog? I find it really unsettling and frustrating. At last night's training class, for example, she "zoned me out" for the entire 30 mins, and would do absolutely nothing for me. I was wrung out by the end of it!

In the house, she is the exact opposite. Following us everywhere with her eyes, and wanting cuddles and attention.

Thanks, as always!

Jane
Elaine3011

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jane no advice for you just want to sympathise, I had the walk from hell this morning with kadey. First off she growled at a spaniel when she was on the lead (never done before) then off lead a jogger and her JRT ran by us and she ran away to follow them. The JRT was not friendly but she just kept following them right out of sight again never done this before. Then for the rest of the walk totally ignored me, seems like a totally different dog today she usually never leaves my sight and is always checking I am there and comes back to me a lot but not today.

Elaine
Carrie's-Mum

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sympathy is good! Specially this week - I am feeling pretty sorry for myself, as each day seems to bring a new Carrie-related issue!

I know exactely what you mean - it's like another dog has taken your precious pup's place, and there seems to be nothing you can do to bring them back. And you wonder what on earth is going through their head at these times.

When something "new" (and horrible!) happens, I tend to think "Oh no, is this going to happen every time we're out, what am I going to do?", but am trying to learn to start each new walk afresh, and not be thinking about how difficult the last walk was.

It's early days for both our pups though, isn't it, and they are young girls, with lots still to learn! Also, how great that you are able to let Kadey off the lead! I think it will be months, if not years, before Carrie could be trusted to come back. She was doing quite well with recall, and I was letting her off for short periods and she was coming back every time. Then she did her disappearing act in Cumbernauld Community Park and, ever since, has just been looking for any opportunity to run off and explore! My previous GSD was a great herder and stayed close to the "flock" - i.e. me - at all times, whereas Carrie seems more of a gundog at heart...

What kinds of things do you do to encourage Kadey to come back?

Jane
Elaine3011

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jane

She was quite a shy pup and would never go off on her own and was always checking to make sure I was there. Whenever she came back to me I would give her a bit of chicken or cheese and when I saw her coming back to me I said come. If she did go further than I liked and wouldn't come back I would turn and walk away and she always followed.

She has always been great off lead even when playing with her friends she has always come back when called.

I think she is getting more confidence now and is just pushing her luck!!

Elaine
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried the 'watch me' game, you sit with your dog in front of you, take a treat and hold at your face so the dog is looking at you, and tell the to 'watch', 'look', 'me' or what ever word or phraze you want her to associate with looking at you.

you then move the treat to the side away from your face slowly saying watch me or whatever word you want to use, if the dogs eyes fallow the treat you bring it back to your face and start again, you want the dog to ignore the treat moving and keep it eyes on you. once you have moved the treat away not necessarily to full arms length you give the dog the treat.

once you are able to do it at fill arms lenghth you can have two treats one in each hand.

try it in you house first then in the guarden or at the frount door, etc

lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrie's-Mum wrote:
Sympathy is good! Specially this week - I am feeling pretty sorry for myself, as each day seems to bring a new Carrie-related issue!

I remember these days well. Every time I got over one problem he'd start another. Then I think when he'd run out of bad habits he went back and unlearned the ones we'd got over!! Just keep at it and try and focus on all the things she is doing. As far as class is concerned, they all have days where they act up but just try and remember it's just fun and the following week she'll prob be back to doing well again. It will all be worth it in the end! I still think ita much more rewarding when they're more difficult to train and they finally get there.
Carrie's-Mum

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendal wrote:
have you tried the 'watch me' game,

This sounds really good, and I have started trying it out. Carrie isn't that keen on looking at me when she's asked to do so, but I guess it just takes time.

Thanks Kendal. Advice much appreciated.

Jane
Carrie's-Mum

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lesley wrote:
It will all be worth it in the end! I still think ita much more rewarding when they're more difficult to train and they finally get there.

Always helps to hear that other people have been through similar things with their pups, and come out the other side. I will probably laugh about this in years to come, as I do about my last dog's antics in the early days! Spending a fortune in Pets at Home at the moment though, looking for instant solutions to our various issues. Probably a bad thing that they now have a store in Cumbernauld - far too convenient for me to pop in and hang out in the collars and leads section...

Thanks for your support Lesley!

Jane
Carrie's-Mum

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine3011 wrote:
I think she is getting more confidence now and is just pushing her luck!!

Yes, I think that's what's happening with Carrie too. In one way I'm really pleased, as I guess it means she's happy and settled and no longer thinking that her home with us is just a temporary thing, but it's also stressful and exhausting...

Kadey sounds like a real sweetheart! How has she been the last couple of days? Any more spaniel-related incidents?!

Jane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: