Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
chasing recall
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took Otto on a forest walk up near Aberfoyle and mostly just let him run loose with the long line trailing behind him.

Just trails between his legs and very rarely got tangled up.

Recall was 100% even when he was off having fun, but also what it seems to do is make him pay us more attention ie he'd never run too far ahead and would stop and look back and wait to see what we were doing.

Whether it just slows him down a bit or he think he's still attached to us, I don't know.

But also Eleanor's tip to throw the treat on the ground so he's coming back for that seems to have worked.

Still turns a deaf ear when he's being called out of the living room to go to bed haha.
kirsty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne, it sounds like its going great.

My two definitely have 'selective hearing' - may be worth a go for me too.
kirsty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola,

You are soooooo lucky with your dog/cat situation. I introduced my dogs into the house, and the cat has lived under my bed ever since. I thought the situation would improve with time but every time we take a step forward we seem to take two back. They have both stopped chasing the cat, but Dodge has such a strong prey drive that she when the cat darted across the hall a couple of months ago - he had her, she was dangling from his jaws. When I yelled he dropped her immediately and ran off, he knew he was doing wrong. but the damage is done and the cat is terrified to come out of our bedroom.

We have been on holiday for two weeks, and someone came in to feed the cat. Two weeks without the dogs in the house has given her a bit of confidence The current situation is that she will now stay on top of the bed and refuse to move when she sees them, just sits and hiss's - Bob was six inches from her today and I was clapping both of them at the same time - so that's an improvement.

The big problem was that the cat 'ran' at first and the precedent was set - they chased.
Any advice would be welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: