Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Rufus the ruffian
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Rufus the ruffian Reply with quote

Rufus must be entering adolescence, he has been a wee horror this week, and I think he really needs his Friday run around with all the other dogs! Twisted Evil

So far this week he has:

*ripped up the linoleum on the kitchen when left on his own (he is left every weekday from 8.30 till 12, and has never made any fuss before!)

* managed to get the cat's dinner twice and my Mum's yorkie's once - cue yucky runny poos! (I know, strictly these are my fault, not his but he is sooo fast!)

* got through a hole in our garden fence and ran away from me up the road - never been so scared in my life!

* attempted to put every dog he meets in a headlock, and has had several dogs from Border Collies to Labradoodles roll over and submit to him!!! He is a ruffian!

* had two hyper 'fits' where he ran around mad biting!!!

* discovered that he hates horses and will bark and snap at them!!! Especially when they have a rider on top!

lol..and I was boasting a week ago that I had the perfect puppy!! Think I need to take a firmer hand with him from now on!
Elaine
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some times you have to sit back and take stock of whats changed it could be some thing really simple that is your fault for his behaviour, I remember when I was first training the boys into their kennel and because I felt guilty at leaving them I decided to have a cuppa with them in the living room before I put them out, problem was this was our routine on their days off from the kennel so Kain started barking when he was put out cause he obviously thought because we were having a cuppa it should have been his day off lol.
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bless them!

I can't really think of anything that I have changed with him, his routine is pretty set. I thought maybe he was just starting to 'push the boundaries' and that I need to work more with him on his general obedience and level in the pack. I also think that my Mum spoils him a bit (she has him every weekday from 11.30 till about half 5, which is a lot of his life. She knows 'the rules' but still.....

Think I need to really focus on rewarding good behaviour!
Fiona
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried crating him when you are out? I like you have a list as long as my arm of what Star has destroyed but since he has been crated he is great and all three love their own little place to chill out. I just leave the doors open all day and they swan in and out as they please.
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fiona

I haven't tried to crate him...am considering it but it feels quite a long time for him to be in there, it is 3 and a half to four hours that he is on his own for. He hadn't caused any problem or even chewed anything before. If this is going to be a habit then I think I will need to get a crate, is that an OK time to leave them in one?
xxx
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rufus the ruffian Reply with quote

Susan wrote:

* attempted to put every dog he meets in a headlock, and has had several dogs from Border Collies to Labradoodles roll over and submit to him!!! He is a ruffian!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing now that I'd liked to have seen! A miniature Schnauzer headlocking a Border Collie!!!!!!!!
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Its so funny, but I do worry he will try it on with the wrong dog and end up with a sore one!
With Roxy the BC, he barely reached her shoulder when he stood up on his hind legs, but he made a valiant effort! He will no doubt try it on tonight with someone!

What's happened to my wee Teddy Bear who cried for his Mum when the big dogs came near him?!!
Fiona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately ok! I crate mine all night and for at least 3 hours Monday to Friday. Its like a routine to them now and they love it. Its there time to chill without anyone bothering them. Smile
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Fiona says crating him for 3-4 hours is fine. What to do is buy a crate and use it now and again whilst you are in the house. Give him a treat every time he goes in and he will associate it with something nice. Smile Leave the door open and let him wander in and out, closing the door over from shorter periods to longer periods of time and he will soon settle into it. They do in fact like them! I have 2 large crates that sit in my back garden with the door permanently open for them to wander in and out of when the back door is open. When it's dry and pleasant outside my boys will go in and lie down and sleep in them whilst I'm cleaning my floors Very Happy
kirsty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rufus the ruffian Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
Susan wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing now that I'd liked to have seen! A miniature Schnauzer headlocking a Border Collie!!!!!!!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

You have not had a good week - it can be funny when they are young, but more serious when they are older - and even more serious I suppose when they are the size of my two Shocked Shocked You have my sympathies.

Working dogs are crated for fairly long periods of time i.e military and police dogs, when they are in the back of the van, as long as the crate is big enough for them to move around it should be ok.

Dogs natural pattern should be to hunt(walk), eat and sleep - so he should be sleeping a good part of the day anyway
Fiona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star hated it at first honestly you have never seen anything like it. I have a massive crate and a Medium one, I put two in one and one in the other. Star always wants to be in the one by himself Smile he loves his own space and if Jake trys to go in with him he gets a telling off Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A crate was the best thing I ever did for Molly. It helped her settle at night and made her feel safe and helped us toilet train her, she was fully housetrained by almost 7 months. (A few of weeks after she had been spayed). I would highly recommend crate training for any dog, big or small, so long as you have the right size of crate for the dog, bearing in mind that it will grow.
Fiona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
so long as you have the right size of crate for the dog, bearing in mind that it will grow.

Nicola my GSD puppy, Jake, keeps trying to go in to our medium crate, its sooo funny he is almost to big for that at the moment Shocked Its the perfect size for Star and he is fully grown so that's ok. The other size I have is a Giant size so hoping that will be big enough Confused
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add that crates stop them from destroying the house aswell! Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiona wrote:
Nicola wrote:
so long as you have the right size of crate for the dog, bearing in mind that it will grow.

Nicola my GSD puppy, Jake, keeps trying to go in to our medium crate, its sooo funny he is almost to big for that at the moment Shocked Its the perfect size for Star and he is fully grown so that's ok. The other size I have is a Giant size so hoping that will be big enough Confused

My god, Fiona...you could probably live in the Giant one yourself! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: