Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
A Good Groomer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: A Good Groomer? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

As usual, I am on to try to pick your brains!

I'm intending on taking Rufus to the groomer just before Christmas *weeps*
I'm not sure that I want to, as I love him looking like a scruffy wee Teddy, but at the same time, I can't wait to see him as a 'proper' schnauzer. No-one knows what he is anymore, bless him!

I want to have him hand stripped, not clipped, and I wondered if any of you could recommend a good groomer? I looked on the schnauzer website, but there aren't any listed in the area - the closest is Perthshire!

Thanks!
Susan x
Phoebe
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sound bit like an advertising Embarassed but my boss Danna is a professional dog groomer. Just google AtSasilasy Pet Hotel.
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danna at sassy has groomed my big bob - he was lovely - a bit pricey but very good.
kendal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know how much it is but i have heard that they charge extra for hand stripping, as it is a strenuous proses which hurts the arms and upper body of the groomer.
my work dose it. not seen it done though and we have a long waiting list.

Suzanne St
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan why hand stripped? i was told it could take up to 4 hours
linsey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Avalon in Bishopbriggs for Leon - I don't know if they do the stripping, but you could call and ask: 0141 772 7198

Lx
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I will try Sasilasy and also the Avalon one and see what they say about doing it!

Suzanne, I want to at least try the stripping, as I like the idea of him keeping his wiry coat, and I just like how it looks I suppose! Your girlies are gorgeous, so if it doesn't work out I'll have no qualms about just getting him clipped, but I want to try the stripping. He is suppposed to be showing standard, and I am tempted to try it out with him, and he needs to be stripped for that. Once you clip you can't strip them after that, so need to strip first before making a decision!

If the stripping is stressful for him (though I have been told it won't be) then I won't carry on with it.
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's stripping? having never owned a dog that requires clipping etc I don't know! Embarassed
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella, this is a really good site!
http://www.harborside.com/~laurelt/handstrip.htm

Also..just pasted this from the schnauzer site!

The Miniature Schnauzer has a double coat: the hard, wiry outer coat and the soft, dense undercoat. The recognized colors are salt and pepper, solid black and black and silver. The same basic grooming is used for all three colors.

The more popular salt and pepper color is distinctive and unique to the breed. Although the overall color is gray, it is produced as a result of "banded" hair. Banding occurs when an individual hair has one color at the root which changes to a lighter color, and to dark again at the tip. A properly banded salt and pepper coat can only be achieved by stripping or plucking the hair. This is also the only way harsh texture and correct color can be maintained. If the coat is cut or clipped, the main body coloring becomes an overall slate gray, varying in tone from light to dark, with the true salt and pepper color being lost.
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile thanks Susan.
Arlene
Chatty Junior Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoebe do you work at Atsasilasy ? Rusty goes there when we go on holiday Cool
Phoebe
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do Arlene and I know Rusty! Very Happy He is a cute wee boy. He´ll have a nice Christmas with us! Smile
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan,

I handstrip my Westie Molly - it is far nicer than clipping - there is some scissor work involved in grooming Molly, but I now never use clippers except to clip away the hair on her pads and her bum. If you find a good groomer who will handstrip Rufus they will be worth their weight in gold, I assure you.

What about Rufus' breeder? Do they show or groom? Are they near you? If they show their dogs they will most definately handstrip their dogs.

I have seen some Miniature Schnauzers who look fabulous after they've been clipped, the don't tend to look as nice if they are unclipped or not handstripped.

With Westies, I absolutely hate to see them clipped in - clipped in Westies look horrific, in my opinion - they are much nicer and natural looking when they are handstripped.

Schnauzers, however, always look lovely clipped in. However, I don't mean full clipped in. I like the furnishings to be kept, such as a skirt, the feathering on their legs, and of course, their hallmark eyebrows and beard! They have fine coats so handstripping them is much easier and quicker than handstripping a Westie.

I really hope you will find a groomer who will handstrip Rufus, preferrably. If not, a good groomers that will clip him nicely.

I'm sure Enid could give you more info on Schnauzer grooming, her two always looks lovely.

Good luck in finding a good groomer, do let us know how you get on with your search. Smile
shirley c

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mum used to strip her own Schnauzer the 1st one she had, I think the groomers did it the 1st couple of times, then she got the stripping come and just kept it up herself.....she doesnt have time now with Rhanna so she just gets clipped and I dont think her groomer does stripping

Schnauzers shouldnt have a skirt like westies if they are done to the standard but I think generally groomers just clip it all anyway
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley,

You can't assume that "generally" groomers just clip it all away - they don't - It depends on what the owners want, the don't "generally" just clip all the hair away.

If I was ever in doubt about clipping a dog that traditionally had a skirt, I always left a bit of skirt, rather than just clip it all away. I always made sure I had clear instructions though and most of the Westies I groomed the owners wanted the skirt left, the odd few wanted it off, and it just didn't look as nice.

Generally, if a groomer is in doubt, they will not clip off the skirt and furnishings, they will most probably trim both, but not clip all the hair off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: