Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dogs living with cats
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
Linsey,

I'm deadly serious when I say that if my dog killed cats that I would have them put to sleep. Touch wood that it never happens.

I'm not after everyone agreeing with me - I don't care if nobody does - is that not obvious?

I defend my own corner. I don't care if i'm not popular.

I find it incredulous that on another thread Nicola you are minding the virtues of your dogs origins as earth dog, bred to dispatch vermin and foxes, and in this thread you would condemn it to be destroyed for doing what a terrier is bred to do.

I agree that its not acceptable for one domestic animal to kill another under normal conditions, and its up to us as owners not have them running loose outside of our property so as not to allow them to menace other peoples animals. However if a strange animal ventures inside your property then its fair game to the dogs and terriers being terriers inevitably, if it is small and furry and it runs, then prey drive kicks in and its game. Its not nice in the case of a neighbors cat and we should all do what we can to avoid it happening by de sensitising them to cats the best we can, but lets face it, these things do happen.

To destroy a terrier for being a terrier is disgusting, and you don't deserve to own a terrier if you think that way.

Sam
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

That's like saying that all dogs who were specifically bred for a working purpose should always live the way were originally bred to. What rubbish.

For example, all Collies should work as sheepdogs? And if a pet Collie herds sheep in a field then that's ok because that's what they were bred to do? No, I don't think so. If a farmer caught a pet dog doing this the dog would be shot dead, as you know.
Fiona
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola

For someone who thinks we are all a bunch of cat killing, dog beating hooligans you seem to spend a awful lot of time on the forum! Is your aim just to contradict other members to get a reaction? It sure seems that way.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola, just a question for you?
Do you enjoy fighting against everyone, coz it cant be nice for you!

Chill out a wee bit everyone knows your passionate about what you believe in but theres a way of putting it across and in some of your comments your really aggressive, not sure if your aware of this!!

Regards
Sheryl
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
Sam,

That's like saying that all dogs who were specifically bred for a working purpose should always live the way were originally bred to. What rubbish.

For example, all Collies should work as sheepdogs? And if a pet Collie herds sheep in a field then that's ok because that's what they were bred to do? No, I don't think so. If a farmer caught a pet dog doing this the dog would be shot dead, as you know.

I don't think that's what Sam was saying at all Nicola. I think she was simply making a point about being a responsible dog owner but at the same time dogs have natural instincts and prey drive.
linsey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know... I mean we get that you want to stand up for what you believe - totally... but not everyone agrees with you and that's the crux of it really.

You could go on and on and argue black was white til the cows come home, but ultimately it just gets out of hand, and to be honest, a bit tedious.

I think at some point you need to just let things drop... no one will think less of you or think that you have been "beaten" in an argument, just because you say "OK, let's all agree to differ here"

What is the alternative? Going on and on until everyone just gets bored / offended and ignores you?

It gives the forum a bit of a bad atmosphere and that isn't why we are here as far as I am concerned.

So come on, let's leave it there, eh?
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
Nicola wrote:
Sam,

I don't think that's what Sam was saying at all Nicola. I think she was simply making a point about being a responsible dog owner but at the same time dogs have natural instincts and prey drive.

I think it is, Marcella. It's there in black and white. Basically, she states that I shouldn't have a Westie (terrier) because I wouldn't allow her to go hunt and kill vermin like the origins of her instincts tell her. They weren't originally bred to kill cats.

Also, if she's taking it in that way, you could also say that the Shar Pei should be allowed to fight and also hunt? As originally that's what they were bred to do and owners who don't allow them to behave in that way, or people who believe they shouldn't behave this way don't deserve to own them. I don't think so.

I could go as far as saying those who hit dogs shouldn't have them.
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linsey,

As i've said, i'm not the least bit bothered if nobody agrees with me. However, Sam mentioned me in his post and I felt the need to reply.

You don't have to read the tedious posts if you don't want to.
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheryl wrote:
Nicola, just a question for you?
Do you enjoy fighting against everyone, coz it cant be nice for you!

Chill out a wee bit everyone knows your passionate about what you believe in but theres a way of putting it across and in some of your comments your really aggressive, not sure if your aware of this!!

Regards
Sheryl

Some of my comments are aggressive, Sheryl? Perhaps you should have a look at some other posts aswell. One in particular was aggressive before it was edited by the mods.
linsey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it seems to me that you come across as being pretty bothered.

I'm getting to the point of being beyond caring now anyway.

Tell you what though, as Sheryl and Fiona quite rightly state, you really need to chill out, and I really wonder why you are on this forum too.

You don't seem to like several folk or have a very high opinion of most of us, you spend so much time arguing coming across as rather offensive, and yet you are back again this morning. You say you don't care what people think about you, but perhaps you should take some of their comments into consideration as you only come across as self-absorbed and rude.

While we would never strive to make anyone feel like an outsider, many of us know one another outside of the forum, and even having known these people only a short while, I would consider so many of them as friends already. They are all good and decent and caring people. So if it seems to you that "everyone is against you" then perhaps you need to ask yourself why that might be.

But you know what? It is really boring now, so you can say what you want, either in reply to my post or to anyone else... (as I am SURE you will) but I won't be reading any more of this subject - it is beyond tedious.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that as though your pleased at yourself....?

All this negative energy it cant be doing anyone any good!!
You are getting peoples backs up Nicola and its not nice to see or here, your defence barriers are right up and your letting no one see any weakness's, in fact your biggest weakness of all is not being able to just walk away from a point of view!!

You've made your point its in black in white for everyone to see yet you go on and on. Why?
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola, you keep coming back at people again and again and that is why you draw the negative responses that you do. I think you ought to learn to agree to disagree with people instead of going over old ground repeatedly and causing people to get upset at you. You always have to have the last word!
Unfortunately you have an uncanny knack of making people angry with your very one sided opinions. If you look at any thread that has become angry you will see that it is something you have posted that has started it off every time. You have to learn to respect other peoples opinions, it would make you a happier person. It is obvious you have personal issues you have to deal with, so perhaps dealing with them instead of taking your grievances out on people you do not know would be a wise move.

For your own sake please chill out and stop force feeding people your opinions, we are all entitled to have our own and that means you must be prepared to accept that everyone is different.

On a positive note, you have brought lots of valuable information to our forum, why not put more energy into being positive? I think you would find that it would make your life much more pleasant and happy. Smile
Lorna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys. I agree. I will not respond to the negativity on this thread again.
Happy Hanukkah! Merry Christmas! Here's to the party tonight with lots of good friends and caring dog lovers.
Lindy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I've just caught up with this post, the ast time I read it it was simply a nice discussion about cats and dogs living together now it's WW3 hilarious I'm loving it Laughing Laughing

To be quite honest i thinks it's a ridiculos idea that you would willing get your dog PTS becasue it killed a cat, bird pet rabbit etc, it's a dogs instinct to hunt and do things like this, i do believe we shold try our best to avoid this but sometimes nature takes over and thats the bottom line. i work in a team of nature conservationists and we reguarly have to expaline to people that if a fox has caught a rabbit, or another bird is worring the ducklings at thire local pond there is nothing we can do about it it's nature. I'm am afraid and worried that we live in a world that we think we can control i.e. other animals killing other animals, it is nature and thats is it, we try to hard to change the world to suit us and it is doing us and our environment some monumental damage,leave nature to do it's thing it has been working efficantly for thousands of years.

I for one have wintessed one of our dogs when i was a child chasing a sheep into the sea and ultimaley drowining it, we never got the dog put to sleep we just made sure from that point on that he was never put in a situation he could do that again, it was his terrier nataure that drove him to do that, and to boot he got a good sake by the scruff of the neck by my dad and quite right too as he ignored his masters commands and he got into trouble just the way an alph leader in his pack would have shaken him by the scruff for not doing as he was told.

Sorry if you think i'm barabric I don't give a **** if you do i train my dogs in a manner that suits them and me and it works well, i would be happy for a vist from the RSPCA any day as i am not cruel to my dog i just treat them like dogs.

Nicola I would love to see how your softly softly approach would work on either of my two or indeed any hard agreesive dog, i think you would be made an utter fool of by the dog as it would have you round it's paw in seconds! Possibly you should take off your rose tinted glasses and have a good look at the world around life is just not as straight forward and cut and dried as you think!, you are obviously a good trainer with your dogs and have got two lovely well trained obedient dogs but not every dog is a cute and submissive as yours and some must be dealt woith in a harder manner than yours.
Sam
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it is, Marcella. It's there in black and white. Basically, she states that I shouldn't have a Westie (terrier) because I wouldn't allow her to go hunt and kill vermin like the origins of her instincts tell her. They weren't originally bred to kill cats.

That is not what i said at all nicola. Go back and read it again if you want to make sure Rolling Eyes

If folk don't want to have their dogs hunting an killing other small furry things then thats their choice, and you do your best to make sure the don't get put into that situation. However to destroy a healthy terrier for being a terrier is disgraceful.

Sam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: