Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amandawhitelaw
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: season Reply with quote

Yoda has came into season does this mean that she has to stay in for 3 weeks. I take it she cant come to class. I bought the spray for her however, if it is like any other thing i have bought it wont work. Does anyone know if i can get her seen to after her 1st season and do they have to stay in hospital.

Any info would be fab

thanks amanda
Steven
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda, I don't have a bitch yet but as far as I know you won't have to keep her in for 3 weeks just be sure that when you take her out that she is on lead and not out of sight don't want her getting caught. As far as spaying goes you can get her done after her first season and she will be in and out the same day no need for her to stay in hospital.

Stevie
Janis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've always had bitches and i have had them spayed before and after their first season so it's up to you! as for keeping her in during her season then that's just not practical, however steven is right keep her on a lead and just watch for male dogs!

if she has done all her pee pee's and poohs then it is possible to pop a baby nappy or old knickers on her, (you'll just need to make a hole for her waggy tail!) and an old pair of tights ! you may get some odd looks as i did years ago but i didn't care as long as my pup didn't get caught and she still got exercised!

if you are not planning to breed from her it is more convenient to her her spayed by the vet! she will be taken in the morning around the 8.30 to 9am and you will get her back around the 4pm mark! the cost is generally around £150 mark but every vet varies!

she could be a bit groggy and sore and may need a lampshade collar to stop her from going for stitches. a few days rest and she will be back to normal in no time! stitches are generally removed withing 2 weeks or so!

http://www.dog-nappy.co.uk/?gclid=CJn-_7KW1ZACFSG8Ggodt2ETXA

http://www.ardentpets.co.uk/dogs/grooming-and-healthcare/simple-solutions-disposable-diapers-12-pack/prod_313.html?gclid=CPGh24SX1ZACFQmgGgod70SIXQ
Eleanor
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda

while Yoda is in season you will not be able to bring her to the training classes.............can you imagine what effect this would have on our intact males............it would drive them nuts and no training would be done Laughing

3 weeks sounds a lifetime, but it passes quickly (believe me I have a bitch)

I would recommend exercising Yoda in quiet places where there are very few to no dogs, if you chose to exercise her where there are alot of dogs and she attracts a lot of attention you may not be able to ward off any determined dog's advances...............after all reproduction comes high on the priority list for some dogs..................call it a mission Laughing Laughing .............and sometimes this no stopping a dog on a mission

please also remember that there will be a time in her season where she may make a point of escaping to have her way, as I said earlier it depends on how strong her instinct is and reproduction is part of life, so you will have to keep a close eye on her and make sure she cannot escape or you may wake up one morning to lots of little Yoda's

I don't think sprays etc really work, dogs are too clever for that......................Janice I agree with the pants, good for in the house as well as it keeps any mess at bay..................you can buy Mikki pants at the pet shop, they are quite good, not sure if anyone else makes them.

have fun and keep smiling

Eleanor Smile
Sam
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't hold your hopes out for 3 weeks either. Thats the absolute minimum safe time an its still not 100 %. It's not unknown for bitches to get caught on day 21.
Dogs will still find her very distracting up to day 28 even. Do day 28 an give her a good bath afor you risk upsetting all the lads in class Smile

Tis a pain i know but such is the joys of an entire bitch.

Sam
amandawhitelaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: seasono Reply with quote

thanks so much for everyone to get back to me. I have not had a bitch before. I have the pants for her already i got them made to her size on ebay. it does not seem to bother her being on season. I will defo get her booked in to be spayed asap.

thanks everyone for the info. i dont know what i would do without the help of everyone at class and on the site. it is a life saver
carol
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Days 11,12, & 13 of her season are the days when she will want to chase the boys, if you were breeding these are the days she would get mated. Give her a bath at day 14 will help and again after the end of her season. You will be able to get her dressed immediately but most vet recommend waiting 2/3 months after the season finishes. Smile
shirley c

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont take Pixel or Moya out at all when they are in season, it only encourages dogs to hang around our house.....BUT it is easy for me, I have a big garden and a couple of lurchers, they arent as stir crazy like labs etc who need their walks, so I would just be careful when you take her out and def. no off lead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: