Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Bathing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny is also a short a**e as he seems to be able to cover his whole belly and sides, whereas Jack just usually needs his feet dunking in plain warm water. Danny is a longer process and often ends with me soaked as well. Danny is also the one who makes an absolutely superb job of covering himself with cow poo, fox poo and anything else that smells real bad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

This is where the short memory for dogs seems to kick in - Danny does not seem to associate the delights of rolling in anything fecal or dead with the resultant HOSE!!! Wink
Lorna
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slicker brush is good for Beagles. Basil has long legs so you would expect to only have to clean the legs when he's been out. However, he has learned to play in the water and roll in the mud from his Newfie friend, Kiera. I am glad he is short-haired. I towel him in the garage to get him a bit dry and clean off the worst mud. He then lies on his vet bed until dry when he gets a quick brush.

He has had a couple of hydro baths last year at Trish's. Great to clear his skin.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in Arbroath and our dog used to do an occasional runner and roll in fish guts.

Take a sniff of some Thai fish sauce if you want to know what that smelled like.
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:
I grew up in Arbroath and our dog used to do an occasional runner and roll in fish guts.

OH GROSS!!!!!!!!
shirley c

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that does sound bowffing Laughing
Isabel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doogle gets a shower down most times he goes to the glen, which is every day, just with water to get the mud out, he's wet anyway so don't think a bit more water will do any harm? It's funny cos he'll happily jump into a cold muddy pond but put him in a nice warm shower and he makes a drama out of it, men Rolling Eyes Very Happy
shirley c

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Pixel was always clean but last night while she was on the couch ( I know, John Rolling Eyes ) she was lying upside down with her legs in the air, very ladylike and her underside is all muck spots and hard bits of dirt Embarassed
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During our total chill out holiday in North Yorkshire by the sea, (dogs welcome) - we do a walk along the disused railway line to a pub and through the woods to a waterfall of clean clear water which tumbles into a sea rock pool. Danny wet and extremely keen to retrieve a tennis ball launched himself onto a floating, bloated, dead, wet, rotting seal! The smell lasted for months on towels, in the car, on Danny. his bed, his lead - I can still smell it. My sympathies to all with dogs of similar tendencies. Rolling Eyes
geri carroll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: dirty dog Reply with quote

Thanks for these posts. I also am left wondering how Orla who has a soft coat is constantly filthy and very difficult to get clean. Yet Buddy who is a border terrier short oh I swore is no trouble at all to keep clean.
I am beginning to develop selective blindness to dog dirt, and just try to live with it-at least until visitors are coming. The girls cause as much dirt with shoes and pens etc.
Geri
linsey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiya... I have the same problems with leon - very fluffy and very close to the ground!

When I take leon from the car I wrap him in a towel, take him straight into the kitchen and close the door. I keep an old basin under the sink and I fill it with tepid water. I sit it on the floor on a towel, the he gets his back and front legs dunked and I splash down his belly to get the mud off, or the worst of it anyway! after that I pat him down with a towel (not rub as it makes bad mattes) then once he is dried in I can brush him if need be.

Lx
Janis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could put gypsy on stilts and she would still end up filthy!!!!!!

thankfully after it dries off on her coat it falls off and then with a brush she's not too bad so a bath is maybe about 4 times a year approx!
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our family dog, Penny (JRT) used to roll in dead things, or just generally anything that smelled foul. The best thing is to put a little tomato ketchup on it, then wash it off.... smells gone! Shocked Weird isnt it?!
Robert Baskerville
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our other dog Finn the lab likes to roll in dead things to, I would need the squirty Ketchup bottle as there is no way I go near her after that Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't heard that one before! But hey if it works it's worth a try! Very Happy
Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asley, I had forgotten the tomato sauce trick. It really works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: