Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Neutering
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Neutering Reply with quote

Otto goes in for his neutering op at the end of the month. Sure the vet will advise, she said he should be able to walk out afterwards, but what's the recovery like? We've taken time off to keep an eye on him.

Any tips?

Put a lot of thought into it and decided it was for the best - no intentions of breeding him, better for his long term health and will stop them getting snagged on the brambles.
Janis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have always had bitches and they can go out walking the day after but on the lead and not excitable! not always easy! one of my bitches did as she was told whereas the my other was a nightmare! they called before the collection time and said she was fine and yelping to get out and home! i could hear her over the phone!

she was jumping about and running up and down the stairs! i was terrified she was going to burst stitches but she was fine!

so i think otto will be fine! he maybe a little groggy but will be back to his normal self in no time!
linsey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Suzanne,

We got Leon done last year... the vet said he would "walk out" when we collected him... which he nearly did - but he kept stopping and sitting down and looking between his legs (can't blame him really)

So we had to carry him out to the car and into the house. He was a bit rough the first day, and staggering about with a bit of a gait. He did whimper a wee bit, but we just cuddled him up with a blanket and gave him some chicken and things. He'd been given some kind of painkilling injection that lasted a while anyway. We just kept an eye on him in case he tried to lick the stitches, but he didn't really bother too much with it.

The next day he was obviously still a bit sore, but he was quite happy to wander about the garden... and the following day he was pretty much back to his normal self. He wanted to chase his tennis ball and charge about though, so we had to try and keep him calm in case he hurt himself! He never touched the wound and it healed up really well.

It is well worth getting done and he is a much happier wee dog for it.

Good luck Otto!

Lx
Steven
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiser was done when he was 6 months old and like Linsey says, after a day or two they are back to their normal self, they do feel a little groggy on the day they come back and the vet told us just to keep an eye on him to make sure he wasn't licking his boll...s, (sorry they were lopped off) the area too much as this could lead to infection. Kaiser didn't have any stitches though as our vet now uses super glue so he did not need a return journey to have them removed.

Stevie
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt much will dampen his spirits - as you say more a case of maybe just keeping him (and Ian) calm for a few days.

He soon lets us know if he's not getting enough exercise - sits and stares at us. But just stick to walk around the streets rather than tearing about the woods.
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny and Jack were done at the same time. Danny was fine but Jack (who can remove a plastic collar in under 5 minutes) got to his 'wound' and licked it, it got a minor infection which cleared up with anti-biotics. I took them out in the fields for walks rather than woods as it was the summer and dry. Otto's 'wound' will be lot further from the ground than theirs so he should be fine, even if the mud is as bad as now!!!
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary wrote:
but Jack (who can remove a plastic collar in under 5 minutes)

that sounds like Jodie and bandages! She now has "No Bandages" in big letters across the top of her file!
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handed Otto over today for the cruellest cut and felt so bad for him, standing there wagging his wee tail and chatting up the nurse.

Just as well I don't have kids - I'd never cope with the worry!

I do think it's the right thing to do, but is a bit of me thinking "It's not as if testosterone is life threatening."

Just be glad when I know he's come through it ok.
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure he'll be fine Suzanne - let us know when you get him home again Smile
Dan McK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Neutering Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:
and will stop them getting snagged on the brambles.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

OOYAH!!!! Sounds nippy!!!
Lindy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll be fine Sunzanne, I was watching a Ceaser episode lsat week and he said you should droip them off for the snip in a positive and happy manner and pick them up the same way like nothing has happened as they pick up on our feelings and if yhour happy and clam they will pick that up and think everything is ok Very Happy
linsey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Suzanne,

Don't worry - your wee lad will be fine... home again and back to his old (or new improved) self in no time!

Just keep reminding yourself that the testosterone might not be life threatening but it can make life a whole lot more bother*! Leon is a much happier and settled wee dog now... and he doesn't try and bite me any more!!!

*In fact, I'm considering getting Steven "done" Wink

We'll keep our fingers crossed for him. And the guys can keep their legs crossed at the thought of it.

Lx
kirsty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! - good luch otto
Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto will be fine. Basil recovered very quickly and seemed to hardly notice the sack was empty.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This takes a lot for a guy to say but its for the best he will be fine i got our two done and it made an huge improvement plus its really off puttin wen your sittin down to your sausage supper and the dogs humpin away at the chair or a visitor!! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: