Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
The 'op'
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim & Geraldine
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: The 'op' Reply with quote

We are thinking in having Buster nutered in the next couple of weeks, but we are worried that it might change his cheeky wee personality. We have asked the vet and he said it was up to us to decided. The various members of the family all have different ideas on wether it should be done. So we thought we would ask the forum what they think.
Thanks
Jim
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well since i was little my mum has always had girls and they were always done, so i don't know about boys
but she says that it can calm dogs down and could stop him getting sent of a female in heat and running off after her.
but i do remember that woman form it's me or the dog saying

[quote]how would you feel if you had all thees hormones and never allowed to have s#x

don't know if that's any help
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are probably going to have Ash done. This is because of something Janice told me about her last dog running off to sow his oats.

We already noticed Ash seems to be keen to 'have a go' I have had to knock him off my leg at least twice Embarassed
So with that, I reckon we will have his op done. I don't want to risk loosing him and no matter how well trained a dog is I don't think it would stop him if he got a whiff of a bitch in season.

As Billy Connelly put it in reference to the withdrawal method of contraception - a heard of elephants couldn't make my oh I swore go that way (pointing backwards)
Alison

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, we had Wallace done at the beginning of April (he was 14 months old) and it was the best thing we could have done. He is still cheeky and full of life, he just isn't a pain anymore with every dog he meets on a walk.

I don't know how old Buster is and I know it is a hard decision only you can make. (I has nightmares when I had to have my last dog, Blue, neutered at 11 years old due to a problem with his prostate.) Just thought you'd like to know that Wallace's character is still intact even although a part of him has been removed.

Hope all goes well whatever you decide. Smile

Alison
kendal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is something i am queries about, i know that when bitches are neutered they can put weight is that the same for dogs.
Alison

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Wallace has put on a bit of weight but not a great deal.

Alison
Janice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

we've had three male dogs. The first was a setter and not done. We had lots of problems that I think would have been improved by the op. Mounting visitors, ME, cushions etc.and running off every chance he got.

Then we had Sam a Border collie and a completely different character. He didn't have any behaviour problems and we wouldn't have thought of getting it done but by the age of two he'd prostrate trouble.
It didn't change him at all and he didn't put on weight but he was very active and not food motivated. We were reluctant to let Sam have the op. but it was right for him. Apparently it cuts the risk of prostrate cancer later on.

We decided to get Dale done because we've no intention of breeding and from our past experience there didn't seem to be any disadvantages and hopefully it will avoid other problems. He recovered very quickly from the op. but it does mean a general anesthetic which is always something to think about.

However I think it depends on the individual dog and maybe the breed. Setters are maybe more pron to running off. I don't know. I'm a bit stunned that Cassandra would do something like that because of my experience.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
I'm a bit stunned that Cassandra would do something like that because of my experience.

its the same as your experiences with the westies and raw hun Wink
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: the 'op' Reply with quote

Just a thought. I like dogs - or I would not have one. I confess I was a wee bit surprised to be 'claimed' by Buster. It did not worry me - but someone else might not take his approaches quite so calmly. I've always carried baby wipes in the car in case of accidents.
Eleanor
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

I have a booklet on 'the behavioural effects of canine castration' , I am happy to let you borrow it and hopefully you will find some the answers to your questions

if you ping me an e-mail with your address I will pop it in the post and get it back from you when the club starts back

don't post your address on the forum, send it to me at am011a7708@blueyonder.co.uk

Eleanor
Enid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendal wrote:
there is something i am queries about, i know that when bitches are neutered they can put weight is that the same for dogs.

Bitches only put on weight if they are overfed. I guess it's just the same for dogs!
Ros
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim
We got Jake (x collie/lab) neutered 2 months ago and he has really calmed down around female dogs. He was a stray and his hormones drove him crazy trying to run after female dogs! He used to pull and bark if he wasn't allowed near one but now he's far quieter! (He only really barks now at big dogs if he feels threatened)
After the op he was a bit dozy while the general anesthetic wore off and he moped around the house for a week or so. The stitches healed perfectly and there were no complications.
I guess every dog is different but I would do it again if I had a male dog I didn't want to breed from. He hasn't put on any weight and he still runs round the field full of energy.
Ros
Marie & Norman Scoon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: The "Op" Reply with quote

Experience says "If you are not intending breading from him get him done". Its the fairest thing for the Dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sheryl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
I'm no expert on this dog thing at all!
I have two males there a Jack Russell cross. We've had one done and one not! And the difference is so much so that we are going to get the other done!
Coby is much more obedient than Keano and when people come to the house Coby has a sniff jumps about then settles Keano's up and down and round about them, he only mounts certain people (not sure why this is) but its not fair on him and to be honest its not just female dogs he likes he took and fancy for one of the other dogs at the club, Bob. He is a beautiful dog Bob, But still...... Laughing

x
Fiona

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same dilemma with Star. I have always had my dogs and bitches castrated but after discussing Star with my vet they suggest I just leave him and see how it goes. He has never mounted any other dog or any one and he has a very laid back nature. If I didn't know any better I might think my vet to be right but experience tells me other wise. I am going to go and get him done sooner or later so might as well be sooner.

I had a dog when I was younger that died from testicular cancer and I always remember the vet saying at the time if he had been castrated it would have saved his life. So I agree that if you are not going to breed from your dog you are as well getting him done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: