Google Search
Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
How often and how far do you walk your dog?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashley
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at about 7 or 8 in the morning Jaydee gets up and takes Holly for a 10 min walk, then she gets about 10-15mins around 11, then she gets around a 1.5-2hr walk in the afternoon, about 1pm.... longer depending on where i go... and then she gets out for 10-15 mins again at about 4, then the same after dinner at about 7ish, and then a walk before bed! Maybe one or two little quick trips outside amongst all of that.

Since she's still a puppy with a little bladder, we need to take her out regularly to pee... and we dont have a garden Sad
denis
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of mine are exercised every morning, I don't walk with them though, I jog with the boys on flexies, the girls are allowed to run free.

I do about a mile at fast pace and the lads are quite happy with that, the rest of the day, weather permitting, they're in the back garden, it's quite large and all fenced in. Wink
Emma*

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I average about 1-2 hours with the girls but they would go for longer Shocked

This is where it becomes confusing for Great Danes as they will walk quite far, it is the pace i find is the problem as long as they go at their own pace they will walk for ages Confused
All my other Great Danes have walked for miles and not had any joint problems but i seem to be very protective of the girls. Rolling Eyes

Tonight i will take them down to broadwood for an hour or so, in the mornings i try and get as long as possible to walk them before John goes to work usually 20-30 mins longer if i drag my lazy ass out of bed earlier! Laughing
Steven
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiser and Gizmo get out first thing in the morning for toilet about 10 minutes, then in afternoon mostly Glen or Croy about 45 minutes to an hour. Again in the early evening Brenda takes Kaiser out for another 30-45 minutes.Before bed they both get taken out for a last pee for about 10minutes. If I am home they have access to the back garden anytime. At weekends Kaiser gets to go on the longer walks with me while Gizmo usually goes to the Glen with Brenda, Norma, and Tara.

Stevie
Arlene
Chatty Junior Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty has loads of energy. Every morning at 5:30 for me before school for one hour or so, I run and he follows quite happily, then about a half hour walk at lunch, then an hour walk when I get home then 15-20 mins at night before bed. He has access to the garden at all times though Smile
At weekends he has a big walk both Saturday & Sunday for about 2 hours.
I like to do a lot of walking and running so he is happy to join in. I walk 1 hour to school so when my dads not working he brings Rusty too.
shona

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no where near as much as they should get Embarassed Embarassed some very unfit dogs here at the moment, {its a winter thing}
its funny most folk see my dogs and think they look great,, but in all honesty, they are still very unfit at the moment. They are not over weight, they have ok muscle tone, but they lack stamina at the moment,

I should be shot,,,
Emma*

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shona wrote:
no where near as much as they should get Embarassed Embarassed some very unfit dogs here at the moment, {its a winter thing}
its funny most folk see my dogs and think they look great,, but in all honesty, they are still very unfit a the moment. They are not over weight, they have ok muscle tone, but it really shows in stamina,, that is what lacks if I get lazy,

I should be shot,,,

I wouldn't feel too guilty Shona, i think we are all guilty of that. Me included Wink
lynn 01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbles gets between 15-30mins when I come home in the morning, then 1-2 hrs when I wake up and then another 15-30mins at night.

I also play fetch and catch games etc for about an hour in total during the day
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hektors typical routine is out for a pee in the garden at 6.30 - 7am, a 20 minute walk mostly on lead at 9ish, a bigger walk of 45 mins at lunchtime and out again for 15 mins on lead at dinner time. The rest of the time he gets out in our garden, which is a decent size. If he doesnt get at least one decent walk a day his behaviour deteriorates!!!
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale gets an hour before breakfast, another hour in the afternoon and a shorter lead walk after tea.. Only his hours are getting longer Rolling Eyes Today I was working in the morning and took him out at 2 but it was
4.20 when we got back. Well he met a gorgeous you GSD , then a Rottie puppy and a few others who wanted to play. Tonight he'll have to settle for the garden Twisted Evil
shirley c

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one should feel guilty after what I do Embarassed

My dogs get out a quick pee ans poo at 7am morning before I go to work then they get out in the garden at intervals during the day then out in the garden few times at night Rolling Eyes

2-3 times a week the oldies get a stroll along the road for about 20mins whenever I can fit them in.

Pixel got a 1hr half walk Sat and hr walk Sunday after class, need to get our more with her, she is missing her walks

The thing is with these type of dogs, 2 walks of about 20mins each is sufficent (but will take more)and all this lot apart from Pixel are aged with Misty 14, scooby 13

moya is around 11 which although not too old has had god knows what kind of life before we got her and is probably 'blown' which may mean her diaphram is damaged, which happens with some racing greyhounds or lurchers worked hard young
amandawhitelaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't have a set routine. Depends on what i am doing. Yoda has access to garden all day. We play all the time. I take her out first thing in the morning for about 20 mins. We do the glen in afternoon. We also usually try in late afternoon to go to the grass area of glen and we do fetch for about 30 mins. We go out in the evening twice for about 20 mins each.

I feel it is so easy to slip into a bad routine when the dog is unwell. I have not took Yoda to glen since her two ear infections. She does not stop drops until Tuesday. Hopefully we will get back to it. She misses it and her behavior is a lot to be desired when she does not get out.

I do feel that Yoda would walk and run all day as long as she has company, human or canine. I find her bladder control is to long. If you get distracted Yoda can easily go all day not going to the toilet from the first pee in the morning to about 5pm. Is that normal?
Martin and Claire
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadbury gets two walks. First thing in the morning and then before his dinner. about 45min-1hour each.

The days he goes to the glen or croy that is his only walk. since hes off the lead I think he covers at lot more distance than I do!

plus me and cliare play football and fetch when we can, which is usualyy when cadbury tires us out. Laughing
Martin and Claire
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda.

Cadbury is peeing regularly. usually first thing in morning and after walks and any other exercise. usually bout 2 or 3 "number 2's" a day!!
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda nothing wrong with that. I have seen my two go for 14 hours without a pee!!! Not because I've not let them out but because there are times if the weather is horrific they lie and sleep and if I open the door they think 'nah ...... I'm not going out there'.

Be worse if she asked out all the time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: