Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
more Glass causing havoc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: more Glass causing havoc Reply with quote

this happend the other day to an agility dog on an other forum

Quote:
Aero got a serious leg wound on his front left leg just about the dew claw area about 2pm today. He was operated on right away

(Vet has just phoned with update). He has severed all his tendons, a nerve and 2 arteries. He is recovering ok from anisthetic and is on a drip. The vet is happy with the work he has done but has concerns about the long term effect of the injury. The nerve damage is only sensory which may mean he lacks some feeling in the paw but it does not control movement so that is good, the tendons are difficult to predict - there is a possibility they may not be the same again, but the immediate concern is the blood supply to the paw due to the arterial damage. I have to call back tomorrow mid morning to find out how he's doing and I'll keep you updated.

I know the vet is giving worst case scenario, but he is genuinly concerned for the long term. As am I.

I can't tell you how gutted I'm feeling at the moment!!

Quote:
To those who asked, we were out as usual for a walk and because our normal park was busy went to Langlands moss, but unfortuanately parked at the back of a couple of industrial units. On the way back Aero past over a small area that unknown to us some lazy B#stards use for dumping. (When we went back to the spot where he got injured we found the couple of pools of blood and dicovered nearby amongst other things a shattered plate glass window and several bicycle wheels. Although we couldn't find exactly what caused it I'm pretty sure it was one of the many lethal spikes of glass that were sticking up.) Fortunately I was only yards from the car and managed to carry him and try as best I could to make a tournique out of a scabby old towel I keep in the back of the car. Hopefully this prevented him losing too much blood. I dread to think if we had been 30 -40 minutes from the car.

I was enormously proud of how Craig coped with seeing a wound that was through to the bone, and watched blood spurting all over the road and car, and still managed to stay as calm as he was asked for the sake of Aero who also never made a sound. Isn't it typical how you always get stuck behind someone who wants to drive at 20mph when you're in a hurry!

Anyway the good news is that they had him up for a small walk to go for a P this morning. Vet phoned me at 12 to tell me he that so far so good. He was looking Pinky again (whatever that means) and seemed to have recovered from his blood loss. They had managed to get a good pressure bandage on him yesterday when he was out, so he wanted to wait till tomorrow to remove it and assess the wound and see whether the blood flow had returned properly. If it's looking good and I have a cage for him (which Auntie Janie has kindly loaned me) There is a slim chance i may get him home tomorrow. Fingers and toes are all crossed.

Emma*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad That's awful, poor dog. Damn Lazy B*****ds for dumping!! Evil or Very Mad Mad It was bad enough that was a dog what if it had been a child!?!?!?
kirsty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just awful.

I have posted before that my GSD Zara almost died due to a cut artery while out walking with her. It happened very near our house and the vet was a couple of miles away. Stuart, my husband lifted her to stop her heart pumping quickly through unnecessary exercise and was able to put her in the car immediately and be in the vets - all within 5 mins. She was operated on immediately - but the vet told us that she was really lucky had we not got to a vet immediately she would have died. The blood was actually spurting out of her leg.

but after this, her paw was always cold and she had a problem with circulation to the paw for the rest of her life.

Look at how many of our dogs on the forum have had bad cuts in the past few weeks. I worry for what the future holds, is this problem going to escalate? I can't see it getting any better.
GraemeCurrie
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats terrible Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil That's terrible makes me so angry. Twisted Evil
shirley c

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, poor dog and owner

Evil or Very Mad how difficult is it to take your rubbish to a tip
Barry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh what a shame, hope the dog recovers! Rolling Eyes
Lindy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendal that is awful, I work in the Park in which this area comes under could you please post on the forum you copied this from to report this to the Senior Ranger at Calderglen Country Park as these things need to be reported so we can help stop people dumping, that particular area is Local Nature Reserve of great value to the community and which we as a group have taken to dogs walking to once last year.
Isabel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezo, that's terrible, hope he is going to be ok. It's worrying how much glass is about the place Evil or Very Mad
kendal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was talking about the plastic whiskey bottle that my papa got as a gift from a friend from America, and the guy with this injured dog said this
Quote:
We were on Holiday in Majorca last year and all the shops had nearly all the major brands of spirits in PLastic bottles.

Why? - because you can't carry duty free in your hand luggage anymore , and most people won't put glass bottles in their cases.

Result - sales are down. PROFITS are down.

Remedy - sell everything in plastic bottles. I bought a bottle of Glayva (not a cheap drink) in a plastic bottle. No problem with taste.

If Glayva can sell a quality drink in a plastic bottle and still make sales then I'm sure your average Buckie drinker won't noticethe difference. But then again an empty plastic bottle of Buckie won't make as much of a dent in someones head at the end of the night.

will do lindy

Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was terrible news re the poor dog.
I am doing some research to put together the petition re glass problems. Please keep posting any incidents so they can be listed as evidence.
Twisted Evil poeple who dump dangerous rubbish *****.
kendal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

Just got Aero back about 5.30pm. Everyone is so thrilled to have him back. He was so excited to see us again. As you can see he has reluctantly settled in his cage. With the help of some yummy liver cake. Vet reckons maybe a month of cage rest. This is going to be fun!!! Kiz has already offered some toys which we should get tonight from Dawn :partyroll:

Vet says tendon repair is still holding well and his paw was feeling warm so blood supply has hopefully returned. He said he was so good for them that they didn't need to sedate him to change his bandage and that helped them decide to let us have him home. I'm off work for next 2 nights so will be able to keep a close eye on him. He is able to walk about but we have to keep it to a minimum hence the cage. Go back on saturday to get bandage changed and will give you all an update.

Aero says thanks for all the wonderful support and kind wishes he has received over the past couple of days. He can't believe it's only 4 days since the CRA competition. Feels like an eternity.

Think I'll go out tomorrow and get some pictures to send to the council and the rangers at Calderglen Park to let them know what happened. Vet bill so far £719 - thank god for pet insurance or we'd all be eating liver cake and cheesey biscuits for the next month. Laughing

Love you all

marcella

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awww look at that wee face Sad
Lorna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he recovers well. He is lovely.
kendal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the photos taken and the aria where the dog was hurt, it is shocking Shocked the tennis ball shows the scale of the aria covered,
it make me sick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: