Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Cuthbert off to the vets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Cuthbert off to the vets Reply with quote

Ah well .Time to go to the vet again. Cuthbert has had an upset stomach all week and has started having "accidents " overnight despite getting out at 1.30.a.m and having Kaogel for the last couple of days. Its becoming quite a regular occurrence now, about every 6 weeks or so. The only thing out of the ordinary has been on Sunday he got some other doggy treats from someone but I would have thought that would have been out of his system by now! Never mind I'm sure it'll get sorted.
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers x for cuthbert, hope all goes well, let us know how you get on, Smile
Nikki
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww!! Poor Cuthbert, Hope he feels better soon! Sad

Let us know how you get on!!

Nikki x
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poor Cuthbert, hope his tummy settles soon
Magz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope cuthbert is ok
Gaelle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind wishes folks, we're not long back from the vet's and Cuthbert has a touch of colitis probably due to the treats on Sunday, so he got an injection of anti inflammatories and some Canikur tablets to give with his food to help settle everything down. We're going to have to be even stricter with his food and make sure that he gets nothing else apart from his " Chappie " to eat. Here's hoping! I also mentioned that he seems quite er .. "interested" in everything a bit more at the moment which I assumed to be just his stage of development(unfortunately I often seem to be his heart's desire !) and the reply was that the hormones could be adding to his stress level and just generally upsetting him as well. I hadn't considered that but there's really not much I can do about his hormones for a good while. The breed advice for Clumbers is not to get them neutered before 15 months of age otherwise they will not mature emotionally and his vet recommends for him at least 2 years old.
Oh well I guess I just keep telling him "No" and make myself unavailable.
Hopefully his GI tract will settle soon but if he gets one more bout then I'm going to get a homoeopathic referral for sure. Thanks again. See you on Sunday.
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaelle,

Sorry to hear about Cuthbert. Holly has colitis too and it can flare up every now and then - particularly if someone gives her cheese!!! So thats maybe one to watch out for.
We have had it under control now for quite some time. She gets James Wellbeloved Lamb and Rice (the only one that agrees with her), or we give her completely raw. Mainly this is mince that she gets. Both of those keep it under control! Just watch out for things like chicken and cheese though - they dont seem to agree with Holly, so im not sure if thats the case with all dogs suffering from bouts of colitis.

With regards to Cuthbert "toying with the boundaries of normal social conduct" Wink .... that is a dominance thing, and you can eradicate that by reinforcing pack order. He should not be doing this with you, and you need to show him who is boss again!! Not easy when you are maybe feeling sorry for the poorly pup, but it is a pack order thing.

Hope Cuthbert recovers soon. Smile
linsey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Gaelle,

You might remember back earlier in the year, Leon was having serious GI stomach problems.

Since then he has had two recurrences, but luckily they have been relatively minor.

Like Cuthbert he is on Chappie, but as soon as I see him trying to eat grass / showing discomfort / hear the stomach "grumbles" that herald another bout, I switch him to the ultra-bland diet the vet recommended when he was unwell. This consists of:

Breakfast: one egg, whisked with a wee bit of water and "scrambled", then cooled slightly
Dinner: plain white fish (Tesco sell boxes of 6 frozen Coley steaks - he gets two of these, cooked in micro and cooled) mixed with a small handful of cooked pasta
Bedtime: large tbsp plain live bio yoghurt

I tend to keep this up for three days, during which time he doesn't get any other snacks or treats, and it seems to have worked so far. I also try and make sure he takes it easy and rests.

Seems the quicker you act, the better the result.

Good luck with Cuthbert.

Linsey
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yip... egg is good too. Very Happy
Emma*

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Cuthbert hope he is better soon. So glad my 2 don't suffer with colitis Shocked
Barry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope he recovers soon Wink
Gaelle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully Cuthbert's colitis is mild in comparison with Rosie's. The poor wee soul used to bleed for a few days until the medication could calm it down but that was due to a culmination of factors including probably ulcers, so I had to be very vigilant with her and phone the vet immediately she seemed off colour. I do NOT want to go through that again with Cuthbert so as you all say , catch it early. The slightly worrying thing for me ( and Ashley I promise I don't mean this in respect of Holly) is that he is like this now with recurring bouts since he was very small, I just don't want it to keep recurring. I know you might think I'm a bit neurotic but just Rosie was so ill with so many different but inter connected things for such a long time I would hate Cuthbert to get the same way. Anyway sorry , rant over I'll just not think that way! He'll be okay and that's the important bit. Embarassed Thanks for the advice.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto had a bout of this, but fortunately there has been no reoccurance. The vet reckoned he'd ate something rank and it was a bacteria related, but that GSPs are also a bit hyper.

He is prone to the odd soft poo, and sometimes its excitement (ie playing with dogs) and others its certain foods, eg packaged treats which we just dont give him now.

But on james wellbeloved lamb (the chicken upsets his stomach) he is perfectly fine. We just keep his diet bland and as unprocessed as possible. Treats are cheese or kibble or plain dog biscuits.

But big difference between soft poo and colitis I know - that was awful. Poor dogs.
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaelle wrote:
The slightly worrying thing for me ( and Ashley I promise I don't mean this in respect of Holly) is that he is like this now with recurring bouts since he was very small, I just don't want it to keep recurring. I know you might think I'm a bit neurotic but just Rosie was so ill with so many different but inter connected things for such a long time I would hate Cuthbert to get the same way.

Oh Gaelle you're just getting yourself all worried! If you get it under control then he'll be fine! Holly had it when we first brought her home, and only once again before she was going in to get spayed.... we've managed to control it!
I'm sure you'll do the same.

I know a lot of vets say that it is not brought on by stress... but I believe it is. I was soooooo worried about Holly going in for her op that I had worked myself up into such a state, that she must have sensed something. So try not too worry too much about Cuthbert. Smile
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching between threads a bit.

But I definitely see a link with stress, but not bad stress necessarily - even just being a bit hyper.

If Otto is playing with other dogs, he gets the runs - he's just excited and his system is going faster because he's running about. Poo goes back to normal very quickly.

He's not a nervy dog in that he's not shy or scared of anything, but he is high energy and very easy to excite - so we just try not to and to keep him knackered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: