Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
kiss
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: kiss Reply with quote

i know that dogs lick each other as a way of showing affection and to communicate. my to love to give kiss especially to our cats and us, but my step dad and brother seem to have a problem with this as they see it as disgusting. i understand that this is a personal thing and you either like it or you don't. but when it comes to an animals tongue particularly dogs they are cleaner than ours and contain healing properties which is why sometimes it is better to let your dog like its wound.

i was wondering what any one else thought about this. Confused
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kendal,

I let my dogs give me a 'kiss' but Murphy in particular likes to try it French style shaking ...... disgusting!
Their tongue, as far as I am aware, has antiseptic healing properties - but only on themselves - not us!!!!!
Just remember where else they put their tongue!!!!! Confused

But I have no objections to a dog licking my chin!
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
Their tongue, as far as I am aware, has antiseptic healing properties - but only on themselves - not us!!!!!!

i disagree with you there, i don't know if you watched that wolf man documentary where the guy got hurt by the pack he was working with just through ruff play. after getting stitches he went back the pack and they took out the stitches and cleaned it themselves, his wounds healed in half the time.

my mum allows new a dog when she was wee that liked he skint knees when she fell and they healed faster than they had be fore.

i believe it will work on and animal or person.

yeah that what my step dad says Laughing
Marie & Norman Scoon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Kiss Reply with quote

Dog Kissing humans is not a hygienic practice and should be kept to a minimum.
Dog tongs have no healing powers whatsoever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are a possible source of infection at all times.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After surgery dogs are normally supplied with Buster Collars to prevent them licking wounds thus avoiding infection or removing stitches.
If wounds get inflamed they normally require a course of antibiotics to remove same.

When our Collie pup was spayed last year she wore a Buster Coller post op but after 3 days her wound became inflamed and we had to take her back to the vet who reckoned she had been licking it and had to prescribe antibiotics.
We insisted that she permanently wore the collar and could not possibly have licked it.
We then constantly monitored the situation and 2 early mornings later we caught our long term boarder a Flat Coat Retriever in the act of licking the Collies Wound.(Further Antbiotics)
Sheryl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marie & Norman,
I'm not saying that you are wrong but i disagree with your point.
I saw that programme Kendal and you are exactly right, that's what the wolfs did!
If my 2 get in a fight again (which they hopefully wont) there will be no vet unless really serious!
After talking to someone from the club I have my own first aid box for the dogs!
Anti-biotics are no good for us! They clear the infection yes, but the also lower your bodies own immune system I would imagine its same for the dogs! DIY!!! (unless like I sed its bad!)

x
Sheryl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby loves giving kisses and would give the Evil or Very Mad a kiss where as Keano is a bit more selective! Laughing
I'm sure Dodge would get one!
I love giving and receiving kisses from them both!! lol
x
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Sheryl - lets be honest here........... Keano would give Daka in particular, more than a kiss if you gave him a step ladder!!!!! Wink

I personally have been on the receiving end of a Coby kiss Very Happy
Sheryl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes a great kisser but sometimes he gets so excited that he ends up giving you a little nip as well!
As for Keano.....yeah what can I say?? It must be love4
Fiona

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think dog kisses are a essential part of bonding with your dog! OK I wouldn't want him sticking his tongue in my mouth but on the cheek etc is fine by me. As you say Kendal its how they show affection within the pack and to try and stop or limit this I think would be away of pushing your dog out of the pack.

If I told Star to stop licking me he would think he had done something wrong and I was giving him in to trouble.

Also Star has a large cut on his paw and I wouldn't dream of stopping him licking it after I watched that program! It seems to be healing nicely at the moment without any intervention from the vet.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essential I'm definitely with you on that Fiona! la ha ha ha
I think if there's no stitches then they can lick but if there are stitches the area may get inflamed and coz infection but that's just what I think...I'm no expert as you all know! ha ha
The other night Chris and I were messing about while cooking dinner and I managed to poke myself in the eye by mistake (it was quite bad killing me for ages)
I was pretending to make a dog sounding cry and the 2 dogs where up round my neck trying to kiss my eye, which I thought was sweet!!! I am part of there pack there part of mine (I'm alpha of course john! Laughing )

x
Lindy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think it depends on the dog aswell, Dora had a nick on her paw and I was happy to let her lick it until it became itchy and she started nibbling, it then become infected and even more itchy so I had to put the buster collar on and use the good old savlon and TCP to keep it clean and free from infection.

As for kissing I know it's disgusting and not good idea for children as it can pass on the toxins from worms and cause blindness, but I am guilty of letting the girls kiss me and Lizzy is known for giving you a frenchie if you are yawning, which alan thinks is horrible but makes me laugh everytime Laughing
Sheryl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with you there!
x
kendal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when it comes to stitches i don't let the like them cos as you say the nibble and pull which cause the infection but other than that i let them.

when i comes to kiss its mostly when i come home from work or I'm sitting on the stairs. but it has never bothered me but i think my mums dogs and grans dogs did the same when i was wee i don't tend to let them do it if they have been out for a run and i relay don't know what they have eaten.

i also get a lot of kiss at work in the grooming room, i was bathing a big Rottweiler and when i was drying her all she did was lick and nobble my ear. Laughing
Sheryl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is it you work? do you get paid or is it voluntary?
x
kendal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crowbank kennels and cattery. and yes i get payed for it. it good fun i love it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: