Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Bowen technique
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janice
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Bowen technique Reply with quote

I just wondered if anyone had heard of the Bowen technique or knew anything about it. I've met a dog whose owner claims it helped his arthritis a lot.
marcella

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of it ........... can you explain a little about what it is Janice?
Gaelle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall it is a form of energy /body work which incorporates gentle massage of soft tissue. It is remedial for injury pain etc and is very gentle, using light finger pressure which can be applied through clothing.
Janice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is I've no idea what it is. That's why I asked Confused I thought it was like chiropractics but that only works with bones, I think, and this seems to some thing else. Dale is definitely not putting weight on his back leg when he runs now and x-rays haven't shown anything so I was interested, but I'm wary of things that cost a lot and may not do any good.
norma giannotti
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bowen technique is a remedial therapy that is applied by the therapist applying gentle pressure to soft tissue with fingers and thumbs. There is no deep tissue work or high velocity thrust movements as in chiropractic and there is no massaging of area, so therefore no friction. I have tried it, it was relaxing but did not help me but I would not say it would not help someone else. Norma
Janice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I'll stick with Ttouch I think. At least I can do that myself and he enjoys it, though he's definitely wary of having his hips done some days Confused
norma giannotti
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is impossible to cure arthritis when it has started, but its progress can be limited. The aim is to repair the subchondral bone and joint cartilage and improve the lubricating properties of the synovial fluid, while decreasing joint inflammation.
REST : This will decrease the speed with which this disease progresses-but it is usually not sufficient on its own.
DRUGS : Corteosteroids. A single injection into the joint at the early stages of DJD (degenerative joint disease) with a forced lay-off 3 months has proved beneficial. However, repeated joint injections damage the joint and encourage a more rapid development of arthritis.
NATURAL PRODUCTS : Cider vinegar : Often added to the diets of animals suffering from arthritis and may help improve the metabolic processes occurring within the joint.
Cod Liver oil : Added to the diet to improve the consistency of synovial fluid thus helping to lubricate the joints.
Devil's Claw : An in-feed preparation that helps to decrease inflammation and reduce pain.
Keeping the joints warm, dry and gently moving will also produce beneficial effects.

Hope some of these tips will help
Good Luck
Norma
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice I had looked into it when my grandaughter was diagnosed with poly articular arthritis, but felt she was still too young for it but haven't heard of it for dogs. ( NO help whatsoever I know but I have heard of it Rolling Eyes )
Janice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is I don't what Dale's problem is. The vets just say keep an eye on it. It seems some dogs can have 'play on the joint' that doesn't show on x-rays and other dogs can run around happily when the x-rays look really bad. I was interested in some of the alternative treatments to see if there was something that would help before he got arthritis.
Gaelle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosie had severe arthritis and I found several things which all helped to some degree
(a) A magnetic collar or a copper collar (not as inflexible as it sounds, threads of copper on the back of a fabric collar
(b) Dietary supplements like glucosamine or a product recommended by her homoeoeopathic vet
called Corta Vet HA (glucosamine, chondroitin,MSM, and hyaluronic acid ) which also is a dietary supplement. Turmeric is also recommended as it has anti inflammatory properties.
(c) Homoeopathy
(d)Healing /energy work.
(e) Hydrotherapy (although I never tried that with Rosie , I believe it can be very beneficial )
(f) Good diet (honest I'm not in any way casting aspersions on whatever you feed your two on) but that's common sense anyway.
(g)Acupuncture.

Not to put too fine a point on it the vet described her joints in a concise , clinical expression as "c--p" so if arthritis is the condition you are working with, these are tried and tested and as I say have all helped mange it to a greater or lesser degree. Good luck and I hope it isn't arthritis.
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
The trouble is I don't what Dale's problem is. The vets just say keep an eye on it. It seems some dogs can have 'play on the joint' that doesn't show on x-rays and other dogs can run around happily when the x-rays look really bad. I was interested in some of the alternative treatments to see if there was something that would help before he got arthritis.

There is a therapy swimming pool out Motherwell way that you can take them to. Don't know where exactly or how much but I could find out for you.
shirley c

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vets have one out that way for the greyhounds, think it may be Wishaw
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shirley c wrote:
The vets have one out that way for the greyhounds, think it may be Wishaw

Think that might be it Shirley. Very Happy
Gaelle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there is one out in Hardgate /Clydebank that is also used by vets but I wasn't aware of the Wishaw one. That's good to know about.
Lorna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley do you have any details of the Wishaw one. It may help Poppy gain some strength in her legs. I would appreciate any info. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: