Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Vaccination
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kirsty, Cuthbert is due his 1st boosters at the end of the summer and before I got him I weighed up all the pros and cons and decided (with the input of our normal and of our holistic vet, who both agreed) that the best thing would be to get his puppy vaccinations and 1st year's booster done and then review the situation. I believe the idea of getting a dog's immunity levels checked prior to deciding if vaccinations are necessary is a sensible one and I wish that it would be more widely recognised in this country. I too would prefer NOT to have to give unnecessary vaccinations which could in fact have health implications of their own.
Lindy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven wrote:
Lindy wrote:
to be honest and IN MY OPINION after reading everyhting I have I feel that annual boosters are a rip off made up by vets to get you in and take money from you

Embarassed

Couldn't agree more Lindy, we always got our last two dogs boostered every year, that was until our GS developed a form of Lukemia and was on steriods for the last 3 years of her life. The vet informed us that as she was on these she could no longer get vaccinated but not to worry as there was very little chance of her contracting anything. I only get my other two done now because we have to, to get them in kennels or for training etc. I remember ( yep in the good old days) the young ones wont remember, but a dog used to receive their initial injections then that was them for life...what changed?

Stevie

Thats exactly how my family have vaccinated their dogs Stevie they get their initial injections and thats it. Like you the only reason I get my two boosters is because you need it for kenneling, training and insurance. In fact I suspect that it probably does no harm at all if not some good to only vaccinate once as puppies, all our dogs have all lived to a good old age without any serious health problems (however that again is MY OPINION)
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing lol.... is all this YOUR OPINION, Lindy? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing sign5
Lindy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
Laughing Laughing lol.... is all this YOUR OPINION, Lindy? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing sign5

Laughing Laughing Laughing yeh don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to influence others with my consipirecy theories Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get the annual boosters for the same reasons I get jabs before I go abroad - just in case.

I have never had a mosquito bite in my life, but I still took anti-malarial drugs and smeared myself in poison (aka DEET) before I went to Africa.

I do agree thought that vets will sell you stuff you don't need. I thought Otto had ear mites as he had the symptoms (he's had them before) but the vet couldn't see any, I may have caught them early and wiped them out myself. But I still found myself with £30 ear drops and being advised to give him more Frontline even though he only had it a month ago.

I didn't use the drops - they have a shelf life to 2011, so will just store them - and didn't put any more Frontline on.
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I never got all my jabs before Africa... and only took malaria tablets for one week... they made me ill.

I dont like the idea of getting these annual boosters. I would like the testing to be done here too... titre level testing, I think its called!

I will take my two each year for them to be 'boosted' though... but only for the purpose of training them and I understand others may not be ok with the idea of unvaccinated (is that a word?) dogs around!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: