Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Cockapoo Pricing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirley c
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought Very Happy

I paid less for my pony than Luka Laughing but then again Jazz was 7 mths old, I cant ride him till nearly 4 Shocked Laughing
Janis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi colin

my two are almost 2 years of age and i paid £650 for each of them!

i agree that they are not pedigree and crossbreeds but it's what i wanted and i am delighted with what i got!..................i can only speak for the breeder that i dealt with and i know as i have watched her for nearly 3 years that she changes her blood lines frequently and checks for defect whether it be eye hip etc no matter what breed of dog..........and she doesn't just breed cockapoo's!

she also only breeds a maximum of twice from any bitch if a second time at all and then has them dressed..................finding them forever homes!

over the past 2 years i have also watched the market and found more than several people offering cockapoos and i have inquired asking if they are dew clawed front lined wormed all the usual questions including if the parents have been eye tested etc...................in some instances i have been given pleasant answers but they do little or nothing and some have never even seen a vet!.....................and they still ask for £600 or so ....................others have offered to meet me at a service station charging me for their fuel and 4 folk came back to me with the wording..............."you either want the f*cken dog or you don't!"

i know my breeder has a good relationship with her vet and all her dogs are also tattoed...............it is entirely up to you if you want to follow the registration through at the cost of about £20.

i am still looking for a third cockapoo and doubt very much i would go elsewhere but that is my choice!
shirley c

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin, that is a scary thought that people are treating live animals like this Shocked poor dogs, but then again maybe no dog and gaining £200 was the persons idea too Evil or Very Mad

Glad you never fell for that one Twisted Evil
colin
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janis wrote:

asking if they are dew clawed front lined wormed all the usual questions including if the parents have been eye tested etc...................

Hi Janis,

I am not just a newbie to the site but totally wet behind the ears with dogs...

What does Dew clawed and Front lined wormed mean?

Janis wrote:

i know my breeder has a good relationship with her vet and all her dogs are also tattoed...............it is entirely up to you if you want to follow the registration through at the cost of about £20.

Erm... she told me this too and I just responded with 'oh right'! So the cockapoo has a tattoo in its ear what does this actually mean and what is the difference between that and a dog being chipped? The registration process? I take it means registering the pup with me in case it gets lost! Who maintains this register?

Janis wrote:

i am still looking for a third cockapoo and doubt very much i would go elsewhere but that is my choice!

Janis, so that you know your previous correspondance was not in vain - I will be using the same breeder as yourself.

You really ought to get in touch with her and tell her you should be on commission Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I just think when it came down to the nitty gritty and talking hard cash with I needed a bit of reassurance - which I've got through this forum.

Colin
Janis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin most dogs are dogs with dew claws which is a claw just around the ankle!....................it's a personal thing but some breeders like to have them removed at around 2 days old!............if they are not then they can cause problems such as get caught and get ripped out which can't be nice for the animal!

frontlined is a flee treatment and as for the tattoo.............all her dogs are tattoed with an individual number on one ear...............when i got the puppy home and all her paper work i completed the tatto form and sent it off with £20 to the NATIONAL DOG TATTOO REGISTER................i also took the choice to micro chip and paid £48 to have this done at the vet! i now know that my local council does it free of charge so look into it where you are and save some pennies!

they also come with the dates of when they have been wormed and when to worm again and 6 weeks insurance which i duly carried on but changed company that suited me!.....................this is something i would not do without and for around a tenner a month it is well worth it!

inca my black cockapoo swallowed a dummy found in the house and ended up being operated on to remove it the week after she was dressed/spayed and it cost just over £470 of which i had to pay £75 excess!

i can only speak from my experience with sylvia and yes she is a business woman but she puts her pups and dogs health priority!.....................i was also asked that should i need to re-home the dog i gave her first refusal...............not a chance ! Rolling Eyes Wink .............she was mine and still is! Very Happy
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dewclaw is an extra claw that the dog doesn't really need and can cos problems latter on in life, as it can get caught on things and get torn. it can in some cases mean the dog damages the leg its self and might not be able to use it. but that is taking it to the extreme
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewclaw

front line and worming is something you will probably do for the rest of your dogs life. it is just designed to stop them getting Flees or ticks, that are little insect things that you don't want on your dog(i can almost promise you will have to deal with one of them at some point) if you goggle any of thees things i have posted you will find almost all the info you need on them.
ticks are most common this time of year in long grass and where you fine deer, hedgehogs, etc

the Tattoo is a line numbers and letters on the inside of the dogs ear. it dose the same as the chip but we got that as well, just to be safe.

unfortunately most police stations do not have the wee gadget you need to detect the chip, it is only the vet that has them or the dog Worden as far as i know.

you are the one who decides if you want to register the tattoo, and you hold all the paper work for it.

will try to take a photo of the girls one so you can see it, you will find for your wee one that you will need to trim around the number as the hair grows over most of it, on the droopy eared breeds.

hope that helped.

Emma*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add if you want your puppy/dog micro chipped the local dog warden does it for free
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma apparently its only our council that does it, its not an around thing, unfortunately.

jackdeb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shirley c wrote:
Another thought Very Happy

I paid less for my pony than Luka Laughing but then again Jazz was 7 mths old, I cant ride him till nearly 4 Shocked Laughing

I paid less for my first car than some of the figures being discussed.

I had no idea that puppies were so expensive.

Good luck on the Cockapoo search.

Hope you have been saving up.

Jack
Lindy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack I just found out the Jack Russells are selling for £1000 down in Somerset and the home counties as they are now the dog of fashion they want to take them out on hunts with their horses and generally just pose about with them. This really worries me as JRTs as all breeds should be bread to improve line and with the animals health coming first and foremost when dogs become fashionable and reach these silly prices potential bad breeders pop up and only care about money making, not forgetting the poor pup who ends up unwanted when the buyer realsies it's a wee menace and bounces off the walls and gets nippy cause it's frustrated.
Dave Rowland

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really, the place which I am next door to lindy? I am in North Devon. I don't hear of that here, we are very hunty based down here but the ban has put a stop to a lot of it. Livelyhoods were destroyed with the hunting ban etc., people trying to find new ways of living etc.... the problem is finding homes for lots of blood thirsty dogs that no-longer do what they are brought up to do... shame, but that's evolution for you.
linsey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just caught up on this thread...

Hi Colin, welcome to the forum!

I know exactly what you mean, I have a pedigree Lhasa Apso which cost me £475 about 4 years ago... I have been considering getting a GoldenDoodle - Golden Retreiver X Poodle - at some point next year (just need to convince the other half first!) and I was amazed that they can be selling for as high as £900! Nearly fell off my seat in fact.

But here's the rub, like Ashley said, not only are they "fashionable", and have the bonus of less health problems, but they are less common / easily available, so the breeders know that there are plenty of folk out there who are willing to pay the prices.

If you are lucky, you may get a family who are having a litter, who have taken care with the dogs and done everything right, but are charging less simply because they aren't a professional breeder. If not, you will need to pay a bit more. But like the guys said, stay well clear of anything too cheap - you could end up buying from a puppy farm or just getting ripped off...

At the end of the day though (hate that phrase) although £750 is a LOT of money, you are getting a wee companion for life here - many many years of love and amusement (and puking on the carpet).... So if your average doggie lived for 10 years (and most live longer!), that would be a mere £75 per year, or £1.44 per week!!! Trust me, it is well worth it for all the companionship that your dog will bring you and your family!

Good luck with the pup,

Linsey x
Lindy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Rowland wrote:
really, the place which I am next door to lindy? I am in North Devon. I don't hear of that here, we are very hunty based down here but the ban has put a stop to a lot of it. Livelyhoods were destroyed with the hunting ban etc., people trying to find new ways of living etc.... the problem is finding homes for lots of blood thirsty dogs that no-longer do what they are brought up to do... shame, but that's evolution for you.

possibly just a rumor? It was JRT folk I was talking to that told me all about it and they were pretty annoyed as it would send the proces of the dogs soaring when they normaly go for no more than £200. It's a shame about the hunting ban (IMO) I'm going to get stick for this but however it is my opinion and I'm not in any way forcing it upon others. I can't see why they had to ban it completey? They could have course the ban i.e taking a humanly killed fox or rabbit over a course to scent it which would attract the dogs and they would carry on just like a normal hunt. To be honest the fox is a pest to many farmers and I know it was to do with the way in which the fox/rabbit was killed by the dogs but it is also a cultre/historical thing and I think it's shame it has been banned.
Ashley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy wrote:

possibly just a rumor?

Maybe not. A quick search of epupz showed some JRTs being sold for £600! When people start labelling things as "teacup" (I HATE that!) etc then the price goes up! Rolling Eyes
When we were looking for a Cavalier there were so many branded as teacup because they were really small! I didnt pay near what those people were asking... and somehow ended up, unintentionally, with a tiny Cavalier anyway! Rolling Eyes Definitely think she has stopped growing now! lol.
Lindy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh the teacup" thing is a con these dogs are not intentionally small in many cases it's just nature and in some they are simply the runt of the litter or even worse have been ill when very young. Lots of stupid, greedy cruel people exploit this and sell puppies at 3 weeks old claiming they are a so called "teacup" variety Twisted Evil and the pup can end up very ill and die as they new owner has no idea this puppy cannot eat dog/puppy food and only formula milk on a hourly basis for the next 2 - 3 weeks of it's life will let it develop correctly and ultimately live.........ahhh rant over
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: