Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
innoculations for pup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ross/Ali
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: innoculations for pup Reply with quote

ok,
whats the script with the puppy innoculations?

Giles has had the 1st one at 8 weeks and we're due back in 3 weeks time for the next one.
Ive had him out in the garden, but Ali is telling me he cant go out until he gets his second jag.
Is that correct?
Lindy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technically yes whilst he is waiting on his 2nd jag he is not fulling vaccinated against some serious diseases, however it's a commonsense thing, the majority of dogs have their vaccinations as puppies and right through their life so there are not many dogs with these diseases to pass on so the risk is low however that is my take on it so don't quote me. I took my puppies out for walks in a bag with me at 5 weeks as their mother my dog Dora was wanting to go long walks and I thought that her pups would enjoy and benefit from getting out and meeting other dogs and people and lots of new things, they got out the bag for a wee 5 mins to run about the grass with Dora and my friends dogs but they mainly stayed in the bag. I also had friends over with their dogs who have all been vaccinated so no risk, so they could get used to other dogs and vice versa so they could get used to them. Bottom line is it's up to you if you decided to take your puppy out just be aware of the small risk stay away from dogs you don't know, try and keep him away from poo etc and just do it in small doses.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The garden will probably be exercise enough for him for a few more weeks so I wouldn't worry about not taking him out for a walk.

But as Lindy says, you can if you're careful.
Ross/Ali

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
yeah only reason i was asking was that at the weekend we went to the stables for lunch and i kept going out to the car checking on him every 20 mins as he was sleeping.
I kept taking him out of the car and sitting him on the grass to see if he needed a pee.

We also took him up to the horses to get him used to the smells and noises of them, but didnt let him down from our arms.
The sooner i can take him out for a walk/ training classes the better - he was a bundle of energy last night! He's worn me out! Laughing
Gaelle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Cuthbert was at that stage I asked the same question and the answer depends on your vet. I was told by my own vet that so long as he was walked on hard surfaces in an area where I knew most of the local dogs and kept him off grass and away from other dogs and dog poo, there would be a small risk but no more so than what he could already be exposed to by bringing in germs etc on my shoes anyway, but another vet in the practice disagrees and advises the usual keeping indoors/ garden etc until all the vaccinations are in place. I followed my own vet's guidance and Cuthbert did fine but I would say go by your vet as it may depend upon the type of vaccine used and he/she is the only one who knows that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: