Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Kennel Cough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Kennel Cough Reply with quote

Just to make you all aware that I've been told by a vet that there is kennel cough virus around in Cumbernauld area just now. Thankfully Cuthbert doesn't have it.
kendal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the kennels if we have a dog that starts coughing we use kennel cough drops, 10 drops in there dinner or on some kind of treat for them to eat. you do this for about 6 days i thing and then the symptoms should be gone, i have seen it work by the third day.

yeas Gaele you are right there is kennel cough going about, we have had a couple of dogs over the past fortnight that have shown the symptoms. kennel cough is not all that serious, and it is not restricted to kennels you could have your dog for 12 years and the dog has never been anywhere near a kennel and it could still catch kennel cough, its just like our chicken pocks we don't get it from chickens do we.

i will admit it can escalate and can be a problem in very young or very old dogs but overall it is easy to treat. look up kennel cough drops on the net. cant find the one we use at the kennel but will find out where they get it from as i know that one works.

pleas dont panic, you dog coud pick it up from anywhere, its not all that big a problem.

Gaelle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if I scared anyone, I didn't mean to. I just wanted to let people know that it is about in case their dog started to show any kind of symptoms. I know it can be treated fairly easily and that your dog does not have to be in kennels for it to happen and if I gave that impression I'm sorry, it was unintentional. It will be interesting to find out the name of these drops you are talking about Kendal. Is that the same as the nose spray at the vet's do you know or is it something different?
kendal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaelle wrote:
It will be interesting to find out the name of these drops you are talking about Kendal. Is that the same as the nose spray at the vet's do you know or is it something different?

the nose spray is a live vaccine, it is the kennel cough virus, that is why you are to leave at least two weeks after receiving the vaccine before booking your dog in to kennels.
the drops are herbal, i don't know exactly what they do but i have seen it work.

Gaelle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kendal. Useful to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: