Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
tail docking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deborah Hamilton
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isabel wrote:
I think that if it a working dog then prob should still be allowed at long at is done by a vet, otherwise its prob better not to.

I would agree with the working dogs and being done by a vet. Very Happy
kendal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Nicola wrote:
I think the docking of dogs' tails is totally barbaric and the sooner it is fully banned, the better, imo.

Nicola,
I thought it was banned a few months ago.......after the cut off date, docking, owning a docked dog or even importing a docked dog from overseas carries a maximum fine up to £5000.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can clarify this? Confused

no it is only if a dog is docked after the cut off date, if a dog has been docked before then they are considered legally docked and can still be shown in competition, any dog done after that date can be disqualified or refused entry.

i think it was a few of years ago that a law was passed that a dog could only be docked by a vet.

dose any one have an answer to my question about how the think docking is done, as many people have misconceptions of how it is done.

Marcella doogles bum does not wiggle so much because his tail is docked, it is because he it a typical cocker spaniel and like most of the spaniels he is considered to be one of the merry dogs as they are daft but very intelligent. you should see Inca when she gets exited.

shirley c

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my mum bred the schnauzers, the vet she had at the time didnt agree to the practice but it wasnt illegal so he did it, but he made her hold the pup and tail while he snipped with snipper things. I think he thought she wouldnt do it if she had to hold the tail but my mum isnt easily put off.
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Nicola wrote:
I think the docking of dogs' tails is totally barbaric and the sooner it is fully banned, the better, imo.

Nicola,
I thought it was banned a few months ago.......after the cut off date, docking, owning a docked dog or even importing a docked dog from overseas carries a maximum fine up to £5000.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can clarify this? Confused

John,

No, unfortunately it has not been fully banned as yet. Tail docking in Scotland has been banned unless docking for theraputic reasons. I want to see it banned in this way south of the border, and also world-wide.

Have look at these:

http://www.bva.co.uk/policy/issues/docking.asp

http://www.vetsagainstdocking.co.uk/VAD-home-page.html

http://www.bsava.com/newscomment/animalwelfare/taildocking/
Sheryl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mum and dads dog Meg has been docked and it makes no difference to her as she is a pet and not a working dog but the woman we got meg from tied an elastic band round the tail and it feel off due to no circulation!!
When meg was a puppy my sis and I would try and stretch her tail to make it grow back.....it never worked

p.s we did not pull it hard we would only pretent, so please no harsh comments Laughing Laughing Meg liked it! Very Happy
Stephanie
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with Kendal tooooo Laughing Wink
Karen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad ban has happened, keep them the way they were born,,,,,,
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen wrote:
I am glad ban has happened, keep them the way they were born,,,,,,

I agree, Karen.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto's tail is docked, but it was done by the vet when he was a puppy along with the removal of his dew claw. I wouldn't have bothered one way or the other if it was left on, but the breeder had it done just before the ban came in.

Still, means we can leave bottles of beer on the coffee table without them being whacked off.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not have bought docked puppies.

I think the practice is deplorable.
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid wrote:
I would not have bought docked puppies.

I think the practice is deplorable.

Needless to say I wouldn't buy docked puppies either.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:
Otto's tail is docked,

Enid wrote:
I would not have bought docked puppies

Sorry Suzanne - that wasn't meant as a critisism of you.

I just meant that I checked with the breeders before buying as it was very important to me. It was a personal thing.

No offence intended at all.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, wasn't offended.

I don't agree with docking either - just that when we got him, it was just before the ban and the breeder didn't give us a choice as she shows hers. By then, we were so looking forward to getting a puppy, we just went with it. He was very young when it was done and we saw him just after and he was none the worse.
Janis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i know it is now illegal to dock in Scotland but they can still legally dock south of the border! however in saying that if a scots breeder takes a litter across the border to have an English breeder dock his litter he could be prosecuted!

i have always loved the docked breeds and i know it is just what we have been used to!

many many years ago i met a lady frequently down at cumbernauld fields who had a male cavalier king charlies spaniel! he was gorgeous and with full fan tail as the breed depicts! off hand i cannot remember his name! anyhow by sheer accident in the house while visitors were present someone caught his tail in the door and subsequently it required surgery and removal of the tail! now going back some 23 years insurance wasn't as popular for pets as it is now! it was an expense the owners could have done without but the vet commented that he was very much in favour of docking most breeds as he was sorry to have to perform this type of surgery when it occurred and it seemed to occur from car doors to incidents in the home!

having to amputate the tail was more difficult that if it had been simply docked as a young whelping pup! i will be sorry to see the ban come into force completely and i agree with marcella i think doogle has the perfect bum wagging tail! i have yet to meet a docked dog who couldn't communicate with their docked tail! i'm sure there are some i just have not met them in all the years i have been around dogs!

yet again it is a personal opinion such as children/babies having their ears pierced! i am against this as having worked in a jewellers and pierced ears i know what damage can be done!

from personal views when you pierce a baby's ear you place the earring in the centre of the ear! when that child grows the piercing is no longer central! so much so i once had a customer who was in her early 60's and could only wear clip on earrings as her piercing as a baby and completely grown out leaving her with almost a W shaped ear!

she had wished her mother had not had her ears done until she was much older!
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really against it...I think its cruel and totally unnecessary, even for working dogs. I mean look at hunting hounds, they are not docked and if they don't need it then I don't really see why any other breed needs it!

My uncle has Rufus's half sister, from the litter before Rufus. She was docked, so one of the last pups to be legally docked in England. I thought that she looked good with the docked tail (even although I disagreed with the practice) and couldn't imagine how Rufus would look. But I love Rufus's tail, it is so cute, and so lovely to see it flapping around!

Dew claws I don't mind coming out, they have no real use to the dog (that I know of)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: