Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Loner Dog
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ann, John JJ and Kyle
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Loner Dog Reply with quote

Get a dog said John. It will keep you company when I'm on a night shift and will be good for the boys. So we got our beautiful puppy dog and embarked on reading and watching Caesar and commenced training at Cumbernauld thinking this pack order stuff is great. Well, it is for the 1 st time from 4 dogs I can see me having a dog who lets me out first, waits to be fed and walks reasonably well on the lead. Kyle is no longer afraid of dogs and can sit on the floor eating a biscuit and gets to finish it. The only thing wrong is when John is out I sit in the conservatory and Dexter sits at the front door. If I call him he comes through all excited says hello and then casually returns to be on his own. I have tried moving his mat through with me and taking his toys through, but unless I am asking him to stay and play he removes himself from the room. Any ideas how I can have a dog who lies beside me?
jackdeb
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's best just to let him be Very Happy

Our two are very different just now Kodi is on floor in living room between Jack and i sleeping and Oscar is in bedroom floor sleeping quite content Very Happy

Normally around 9 o'clock the two of them are whining to lie in their bed which is kept in hall

I imagine every dog is different but as long as they are quite and happy i would let him be Smile

Debs
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your post it sounds as if your dog has attached himself to his master and is waiting loyally for his return. Some dogs just aren't hugely cuddly.

You could try being the ONLY one to EVER feed him, including ALL his treats. Be the one who walks him whenever you go out either alone or as a family. Be the one to find a toy he likes and play with him exclusively for at least 30 minutes a day. Talk to him all the time, much as you would a child, just inane chatter. Stroke him often, not necessary cuddling him, just touching, tranferring your scent to him and getting him used to your touch so he would miss it if you didn't do it. All of this will develop and strengthen the bond he has with YOU. Over time you should find he chooses to spend more time just the two of you.

Sometimes however some dogs, once they have picked the one they have chosen to bond with, are completely resistant to developing that same bond with anyone else. It might be that he never responds as much as you would like to you but if he is well behaved with you and comes for cuddles when called, does as he's told maybe that's all that you will ever get Confused

Dare I say it.......it might be time to get a dog of YOUR own - there's plenty out there who would be delighted if you gave them a chance. Wink Smile
kendal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gypsy is the same, when mum is out she will sit in the hall and watch the front door or just sleep there till mum comes home or i show interest in playing hen she will more often than not go back to 'her spot in the hall'.
Inca on the other hand will fallow me from room to room and settle where ever i do. he is obviously happy sitting at the door.

lets face it you would be complaining even more if he wouldn't give you Peace and kept barking at you or dropping toys on your lap when you are busy.

Ann, John JJ and Kyle
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I am the one who feeds him 4 times a day still as he is only 5 months. I am the one who does his training exercises at home and at class, he is doing well. him, I take him for his morning, lunchtime walks 45 minutes each and am usually the one who walks him in the early evening and last walks.. He also comes to work with me every day and is as good as gold. I have even had people in the clinic for 40 minutes and then they say Oh you have a dog. Maybe he has just got used to me ignoring him at work when I'm busy and having to be allowed to join me. Don't get me wrong I love the quiet temperament and lack of damage to the house that this puppy lives by compared to my others, it would just be nice to have his company. I don't think he is waiting for John as after his 11pm walk he puts himself to his crate and doesn't disturb himself when John comes in unless he is needing to do his business.
Ann, John JJ and Kyle
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely correct Kendal
kendal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
From your post it sounds as if your dog has attached himself to his master and is waiting loyally for his return. Some dogs just aren't hugely cuddly.

You could try being the ONLY one to EVER feed him, including ALL his treats. Be the one who walks him whenever you go out either alone or as a family. Be the one to find a toy he likes and play with him exclusively for at least 30 minutes a day. Talk to him all the time, much as you would a child, just inane chatter. Stroke him often, not necessary cuddling him, just touching, tranferring your scent to him and getting him used to your touch so he would miss it if you didn't do it. All of this will develop and strengthen the bond he has with YOU. Over time you should find he chooses to spend more time just the two of you.

Sometimes however some dogs, once they have picked the one they have chosen to bond with, are completely resistant to developing that same bond with anyone else. It might be that he never responds as much as you would like to you but if he is well behaved with you and comes for cuddles when called, does as he's told maybe that's all that you will ever get Confused

Dare I say it.......it might be time to get a dog of YOUR own - there's plenty out there who would be delighted if you gave them a chance. Wink Smile

i am the one who feeds and does the majority of walking and training, but Gypsy has attached herself to my mum and Inca to me. if we are out on a walk together and the girls are off lead Gypsy will follow my mum and Inca me. it staring how it has happened.

in fact the week before last was the first time i had been a away from home with out the girls, when i stayed over at a friends. mum had to feed the girls and she said they looked confused as if saying, this isnt your job. so they do know who does what in the house

graceb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the same for me, although Dexter is really attached to me, he prefers males (no jokes about this please!) I do everything for him feeding, walking etc. but if my Mums partner is about he is soooooo excited and follows him about everywhere.
jackdeb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graceb wrote:
Its the same for me, although Dexter is really attached to me, he prefers males (no jokes about this please!)

Grace i bet you had a wee laugh when you typed that sentence Laughing Laughing Laughing

Debs
graceb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I thought there is no way to put this without it sounding misleading????|!!!|!| Confused
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:

Okaaaaaaay.......Anne, kendal.......I think this is the appropriate bit for you two! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kendal, least you have one dog making a nuisance of themselves just for you Very Happy

Anne, maybe you've hit the nail on the head when you say he's a quiet chap quite content in his own company and used to staying from under your feet when you are busy, perhaps he thinks that's the way he should be all the time Confused All I could recommend here then is to just keep plugging away there and call him to you more often when in the conservatory.....perhaps he'll get sick of trotting too and fro and find a comfy spot in there with you if you do it often enough Wink

Having 3 Staffies I rarely have a minute where one or all of them aren't demanding attention Rolling Eyes most of the time I love it but there is the very odd occassion where I would just love my chair to myself Razz
kendal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:

Kendal, least you have one dog making a nuisance of themselves just for you Very Happy

Laughing Laughing my girls dont actually do the pestering thing they just seem to be content to be in the same room as me.

the only time Inca freaks out is if i pick up or put on anything dog related she gets all excited and panics like im not going to take her with me.

oh and the bathroom why do they always think there is an escape hatch in the bathroom Laughing

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh to go to the loo alone! T'would be bliss! Rolling Eyes Very Happy
jackdeb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh to go to the loo alone! T'would be bliss! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

You need a strong lock on the loo door. Laughing Laughing

Jack geek
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They follow so closely I can't even shut the blessed door Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I swear they think as kendal says there's an escape hatch in there or else some REALLY yummy treats Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: