Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Lifting his leg in the house
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ross/Ali
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Lifting his leg in the house Reply with quote

Giles has over the past few weeks has really got the hang of lifting his leg when out for a walk. He's saving some up for every bush and lampost he sees. This at first was great! Our wee boy is growing up!

anyway, over the past week he's started to lift his leg in the house - we let him out and he pees a wee bit, but then comes back in again and pees against the table, the bin, the couch.. If the cats stayed still long enough, he pee on them! Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

What can i do to stop this? any ideas?
kerry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish i could offer you advice, but Luna was doing well with the training, but the last week she has taken to peeing in the house again, just on the same 2 spots, bleached them to cover up smell but still the same problem ,so i will be reading this post for advice also Smile
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN MY EXPERIENCE HE IS MARKING HIS TERRITORY!

TRY SPRAYING HIM WITH A SKOOSHY WATER BOTTLE OR POSSIBLY MARK THE AREA WITH A DAB OF BITTER APPLE AND HE SHOULD AVOID THE AREA!
Ross/Ali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ok Janis im only here! no need to SHOUT! Laughing Laughing

Giles is peeing everywhere so I'll try the spray bottle if i can catch him.
Jack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's so many different schools of thought on this one and not every tip works with every dog.

The most effective one from my experience (based purely on advice I have given and have been told worked quickest) is to issue the "NO" command, short, deep and loud - you could combine this, if you are close enough to grabbing him by the scruff of his neck and shaking him (not violently but to replicate what his mum would do) - if you are close enough to do this make your "No" command as gutteral as you can so it sounds growl-like. Immediately place him BACK outdoors - if he continues to pee out there then praise him to high heaven immediately. Whilst he is outside and cannot see you go and mop up the mess. Forget bleach - that has ammonia in it and he'll be attracted BACK to that spot to remark his territory as it will STILL smell like pee to him but not his own so he'll want to mark the same spot again and again. Try a strong scented disenfectant OR one such as Dettox that is almost scent free - low ammonia content will ensure it doesn't smell like pee to him and he won't go back to that spot purely to mark over it again. NO product will completely disguise or remove the smell of his marking and even if it does he'll just be tempted to do it again - this has become a territorial marking issue now AND a bad habit that needs to be broken....

Sounds to me as if he's maturing sexually and if you keep him entire he might continue this behaviour long term.....if you don't plan to breed from him, having him neutered will help reverse this behaviour.

My lot were really easy to house train but my first Staff was a right sod - if she wanted to go she just went - wherever she was so I put a piece of plastic carpet protector down and covered with newspaper and she'd always go to that spot.....I didn't crate her....that's where I went wrong as if I was in the house with her she wouldn't ever go to the loo indoors she'd always run and tell me she needed the loo, bless her.

Good luck.....and if all else fails a sharp smack on the butt is always a good fall back Twisted Evil
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry ross ............i use capital in everything i do on this laptop and forget to take it down to lower case!
shirley c

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ross, you get used to Janis shouting at us every now and again Laughing

What Jack said and Janis too, I use the spray bottle for everything i dont want luka to do Twisted Evil
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have actually said in my post first remove as much of the pee from the carpet before cleaning by putting down loo roll or kitchen paper and pressing heavily onto it with either your fist or foot, get as much out of the carpet as you can first THEN clean the area. Might sound like stating the obvious but a friend of mine just used to go get the cleaning products and scrub without removing the excess first and couldn't understand why even SHE could still smell it! Rolling Eyes Very Happy
jackdeb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:

is to issue the "NO" command, short, deep and loud - you could combine this, if you are close enough to grabbing him by the scruff of his neck and shaking him (not violently but to replicate what his mum would do)

Good luck.....and if all else fails a sharp smack on the butt is always a good fall back Twisted Evil

I used both with Kodi.

She got the message.

As for cleaning I left that to Debbie.

Jack
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully I have a "new" man and he did his fair share of the cleaning! Razz

Except for the litter tray....now THAT is left for either me or Rosie....whoever is quickest to get there!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ross/Ali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not getting any better im afraid!

got up this morning, washed, dressed then let him out his crate to go to the garden for a pee. he done his business and followed me upstairs ad sat on the top step quite content to be out his crate. I brushed my teeth and he was gone.

I found him at the bottom of the stair and he was looking at me quite sheepish. went through to kitchen and he had left a poo in the conservatory and a pool of pee in the kitchen!!
He knew he had done wrong cause as soon as i seen me looking at his mess, he ran upstairs to hide!

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to catch them at it for a NO or skoosh to work...if the deed is done, you just have to sigh and clean it up otherwise he doesn't know what you're giving him a row for.

We were quite lucky, he's never marked territory indoors...still does it outdoors despite nae knackers.

We also used the word "peepee" when it was done outside and a lot of praise. So now, we can say "do peepee" and he knows what's expected of him.
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a dog is looking all sheepish and avoiding eye contact with what he has done wrong then he DOES know it is wrong and it WOULD be effective to still correct it. By NOT correcting it you have given the message that because YOU didn't SEE him do it then it's OK - keep on with this and I guarantee he'll get worse. He obviously needed the loo so the only thing to do in circumstances like these is to ensure he has been before you allow him back into the house then don't allow him out of your sight. If it means locking him in the bathroom with you then so be it - do it until he has stopped this habit. When you have showered etc - with him in your presence the whole time and therefore much less likely to indulge in this new behaviour let him out to the loo again - praise him when he's done his business in the correct place and always discipline when it's done in the wrong place. He'll get the message eventually (fingers crossed!!!!) Very Happy
jackdeb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is not getting the message Ross.

Don't let him away with it. Correct him every time.

From how you describe it he knows fine well what he has done.

So for you to correct him after the event would seem to me to be correct.

If he is going outside and peeing then coming in and peeing and pooing, are you giving him enough time outside ?

It was maybe different in our house when Kodi was a pup as we had the four of us watching her.

Whenever she done a pee or poo indoors it was noticed quickly and she was corrected and taken out side.

Trying to reinforce the place to do these things.

Keep at it. They get it in the end. Otherwise we would never have them in the house.

Jack
geri carroll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would echo Jacks encouragement to keep at it

we had a lot of trouble with Orla and even yet she will ocass pee at the same spot at back of room if left overnight out of her crate-thankfully not so often now

i am afraid to say she is now 2 ! but it occurs only very infrequently...hope this doesnt discourage you as was meant to reassure you that with perseverance they always improve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: