Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Tilly & Hyde

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Tilly & Hyde Reply with quote

Jekyll Tilly & Hyde has awoken!

Is it true that dogs can be a good judge of character?

I recently got in contact with a school chum and first time she came round Tilly was fine but this time, she had her ears up, her tail up and I mean proper aggressive behavior. I've honestly never seen anything like it. She's never been aggressive towards people and as soon as I went near Tilly she calmed down a bit. I was completely stunned!!

How do I deal with this sort of behavior?
Jack
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell her off immediately!!! She might have very good reason not to like this person (dogs instincts are usually sound) but you cannot let her get away with it even once. My Sykes doesn't really like strange men at all (who does? Laughing ) and will always growl if he's unsure - although I take his warnings on board I always correct him and never ever let him assert himself this way - I'm the pack leader and although I appreciate his warning and back up he knows it so stops straight away Wink
jackdeb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jack.

You are the boss Anna.

Jack
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I gave her into trouble at the time but I want my friend to be able to come over again without Tilly turning into Hyde again.
jackdeb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep correcting her.

She will stop.

Jack
tricia
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a GSD who was like this with any man that came into the house/garden or near me.
She was fine with women and children and even teenage boys.
I had to really put her in her place... and she did improve over the years with men....
But you had always to be aware... and keep your eye on her.
Also my first dog...a labx... who was the friendlies dog ever, once took a great dislike to a friend that came to visit... I remember being shocked by her reaction to this person because it was so out of character for her. She never reacted like this to anyone else and she lived to the grand old age of 16 years Smile I do think that dogs can sense many things that we cant... but they can probably just take a dislike to someone for no good reason Confused
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She must be corrected Anna because one teeny little growl if gotten away with WILL turn into a bigger problem. Sad If she's uncomfortable and takes a dislike to someone fine - let her walk away and not interact with them but don't let her get away with growling or worse. I'm aware of Sykes attitude problem with strangers so take steps not to allow him to get too close OR to growl without correction - even a smack (gentle obviously) on his bum if he fails to listen to me (which is very very rare) but he still tries it on - despite KNOWING he'll get told off Rolling Eyes As tricia says you have to be vigilant and consistent.

Dogs, like humans, CAN take a dislike to someone - they act on instinct picking up on things we don't. Sometimes I'LL take a dislike to someone I am assured is lovely and I can't explain why I don't like them but my instincts are very rarely proven wrong. Tilly has picked up on something she doesn't like - it might have only been a scent but it was enough to worry her into reacting so snap her out of it and make sure she knows that you have heard her warning but that she MUST stop it. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: