Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
advice needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maureenmcl
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: advice needed Reply with quote

Hi

We have only had Guinness for 2 1/2 weeks and he was 21 weeks old when we got home and never been crate trained so we haven't invested in one. Other rather a first 2 days we have not had any major issues with toilet training until now. For the last 3 mornings I have got up to bowel movement on kitchen floor during the day not even a pee on the floor.

Tried to rack my brains for reason but feeding at same time getting up same time 6.30am except this morning I woke at 5.30 and thought to be on safe side will take him out and reinforce the toilet training of praise when he poos but too late again already done.

We changed diet over a week ago on advice from vet to pure Purina and he seems to be thriving on this.

Only other thing is he is teething and we are definitely having a battle of wills on what not to bite and inappropriate mouthing of our hands etc.

I have read many of the posts trying to work this one out and although crate seems to be the solution I am unsure about the slightly older pup starting off in crate for 2 reasons toilet issue we have is during the night will he not do this in the crate? Also many forum users say don't use as punishment but will Guinness not think his sudden confinement will be a punishment? Never used a crate so forgive my ignorance.

Help as my cold will only mask the smell of fresh poo for another day or so!!!
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the very first time i used a crate......almost 27 years ago my pup them was just about 7 months and she was a cocker spaniel and destroying everything!

it was the best thing i did and never looked back!..............it got to the stage that she and her sister would go in when they wanted and not necessarily when it was bed time or i was going out!........it becomes very much their own space and sanctuary...............kendal my daughter describes it as their bedroom!....................going on from their you will find that guinness will also not soil or dirty in his crate as it is his space!..................best investment for a dog!......................you know they are safe and they are safe and can come to no harm!

i would now never have a dog without a crate!
tricia
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what Janis says.... I have owned dogs for 25 years but only got my first crate 3 years ago......
I wish I had used one years ago.... the dogs all love them.... the def help with toilet training and chewing issues...
Lucy who is 7 years doesn't have her own crate, but goes and sleeps in with the other two in theirs!! Smile
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricia,

Although I agree with EVERY word Janis has written on this issue and 100% endorse the use of crates (I only started using them when I got Ella and Rosie given Ella's appalling attitude even as a pup towards the cats, which is MUCH improved now after years of training) I have to caution you not to expect miracles from them.

A friend of mine over on our Staffies forum has had major issues with both male and female pups soiling their crates. I've never experienced this unless mine have bad tummies. It HAS come good for her in the end and the dogs rarely soil their crates now but I just wanted to warn you they won't necessarily stop this behaviour straightaway. What helps enormously is if you make the very last thing you do before you head off to bed is let pup out for the loo - no going to the loo then no allowing back in the house - he'll sharp learn, especially in this cold weather what is expected of him.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.xxx
tricia
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also very important not to get a crate that is too big or the pup will just sleep at one end and soil the other!!
The crate should be just big enough for the dog to lie stretched out , no bigger... with some big dog breeds you might have to get a smaller one to start of with and change to a bigger one at around 6 months....
They can be bought on ebay alot cheaper .... and the ones I have bought there are reasonably good quality...but maybe not strong enough for a big breed.
Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps also try not feeding after 5pm and if meal is not eaten within 1/2 hour then remove. Also just recently switched to RAW diet and soiling has reduced dramatically. Good Luck.
maureenmcl
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After another accident this morning have ordered a crate from e bay. When looking at the instructions to train using a crate this is going to be like starting house training from scratch is this correct?

While Guinness is accident free all day now this new night accident has thrown my thinking. Can anyone suggest anything I do in the meantime until crate training can be begin.

Another new thing Guinness is going through teething and is particularly restless and chewing but started also scrapping my wooden floors as if digging in the garden is this normal? I have been correcting this but seems to want to do this a lot?
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto was 3 months when we put him in a crate - and I swear by it. He has only toileted in the house a few times.

Also, as said before...limit eating and drinking. We fed around 6, so poos were all done by bed time. Even now, his water bowl is removed at 9pm. they soon get into a routine, and don't be fooled by the "phone the RSPCA" howls....we had a 4 am battle of wits with otto first night he was in there downstairs on his own.

Also if the dog bites/mouths, scream as if he's bitten you hard and walk away and ignore him for a while. They soon get the message that it's not a good thing to do...young dogs crave the attention more than they want to bite you.
DawnQuinn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Sasha Reply with quote

...we do not use a crate for sasha as at night she sleeps in the conservatory, we do not use the conservatory and recently threw out the sofa so all that's in it is a unit and the dog bed/toys. It is like a 'big crate' lol.
She is nearly 4 months now and getting used to the drill. She now rarely poo's at night but the floor is still wet in the morning. This is something I hope she will grow out of.
Her biting is becoming less but she still has a mad hour where she nips and runs around crazy, if it becomes too much (sometimes too rough on the kids) I put her in the conservatory to calm down with the door closed, after 10/15 mins when she's calm I praise her and let her out.
I think if I didn't have the conservatory spare then id have to get a crate, they need somewhere they can't destroy as well as a place to chill out.
She loves big meaty bones and some of them would turn your stomach and so she likes to go in there and chew away happily, she does try to sneak them past me but a stern 'no' and she backs up reluctantly.
It does help with training and I can see the benefits of having a crate.
maureenmcl
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dawn after meeting Sasha at class cant believe that she is only 4 months!!!

Nice to know not alone in having a pup that has a mad hour or 2 I was working from home yesterday and Guinness was a model pup letting me know when he wanted out and snoozing so that I could work in peace then when my son and daughter came home from work all hell broke loose. We use the kitchen for Guinness to sleep in and was little reluctant to give him a time out in his "bedroom" as this felt like a punishment but if you are using this for Sasha and is working might give it a try as getting him to calm down is difficult.

I think after having him be accident free for more than week I was lulled into a false sense " cracked the house training" and now a bit stuck as how to progress.
DawnQuinn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2 dog's before the kids were born, a collie cross and shepherd cross they were great dogs but very disobedient!
They were the leaders of our pack!
This time I'm trying to do it right from the start.
Exclusion seems harsh but I cant have her hurting the kids (they are 8 & 9yrs) , she needs to know that is not acceptable and it seems to work so ill stick with it.
I'm sure that the crate will be a good thing for Guinness, keep us posted on his progress

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: