Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
training questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samstewart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: training questions Reply with quote

hey there i keep thinking about the dog training classes when the pup is old enough to go out BUT just on reading the text i dont agree with how they say the dog should be treated, i am not trying to start and argument but i wanted to know what my pup and 8 year jack russell would get out of it??

pardon for the ignorance its just the bit about dogs shouldnt sleep in bedroom, everyones different and mines comfort me when they are around me
Jack
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

Everyone has their own way of doing things - best you learn all you can and pick what works for YOU and YOUR pups it's what I have always done and what I will continue to do.

I've had Staffies for over 20 years and everyone I have ever had has slept in my bedroom with us and often in our bed. It works for us and them. I couldn't bear to not have them with me but I certainly don't judge people who don't do things my way. I don't think any of my Staffies forum members share their bedrooms with their pooches but I could be wrong. Me? I unashamedly admit this is the way I do it. My lot are brought up with HUGE amounts of love and affection but very very clear boundaries. Most dog trainers and behaviourists would tell you I am wrong to allow them to share my space but it's MY choice and I have three fabulous dogs that have no issues with trying to dominate people - you can be damned sure I'd address it if they did Smile
samstewart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brill, i am glad i asked as i didnt wanna make a fool of myself if i was to go to the classes although i do have good control i would prefer if the dogs learned more tbh, always room for improvement
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask anything you want Sam, I'll always give an honest answer. I would heartily recommend the classes - you'll learn so much - just use what works best for you all. The more I learn the happier and more prepared I am and I'm sure that'll be the way for you too. Wink
kendal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a rough Gide line to go by. my girls sleep with me sometimes but most of the time they are in there crate. its kind of like giving them there own space, plus one of our girls is black so if my wee brother got up in the middle of the night and left the door open he could trip over her and fall down the satires.

i think its OK as long as the dog knows its your bed, i mean if you have watched any dog programs with dogs that wont let there owners partner into bead and they say i don't know what to do about it. i would definitely say get the dog off the bed and keep it that way, or just show the dog you own the bead and can invite anyone you want onto it.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh trust me kendal if my lot TRIED to "own" the bed they'd be given very short shrift! Evil or Very Mad I don't tolerate bad behaviour and they know it. Even going back to the days of very inexperienced dog ownership Mark and I just pulled together and made sure they knew we were the pack leader(s) - though I don't think we knew what we were doing back then it's just our instincts seemed to guide us into what was right. So glad we trusted ourselves and have learned so much along the way. Much of it is common sense - I always end up screaming at Dog Borstal because the owners seem so blooming clueless I wonder how they manage to even dress themselves Very Happy
Ross/Ali

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, we have a CKC spaniel that was bred to sit on the laps of woman in public buildings/ courtrooms to keep them warm Rolling Eyes Laughing

So instinctively, Giles loves to sit with us or at least be in the same room as us.
He gets on the couch and on the bed, but we have a crate in the livingroom and one in the bedroom for during the night. The reason we crate him at night is that the cats wind him up during the night and get him to chase them. Once they get him off the bed or his cosy place, the cats steal it. Then he gets up to no good when he's wandering around.
We cant close doors cause the cats open them or scratch the walls, carpets or door. So best solution that works for us is to crate him in our room which he reluctantly goes into, but knows he has to now.

As Jack says, do whatever works for you.
You already own a JRT, and I assume that this doesnt walk all over you. So whatever you done to raise that, do the similarly for your new pup.
Dont worry about people judging you on what you do or Dont do.

Just expect them to say... "I told you so!" when it all goes wrong! Laughing then watch Cesar!
Janis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as kendal and jack says sam it's what suits you but as long as they know their place and when you say "down" or "off" it's not met with growls or snarls with them trying to take possession of the bed!......................the same goes with the sofa!.............everyone starts off saying their dog will be this way and they won't be allowed on the sofa/bed etc but we all look at those puppy eyes and waggy tail and we melt!

the problem then lies in when they become the leader of us!..................as long as you remain boss then that's fine!

at one point many years ago i had the crate in my bedroom as the hall was too cold at night but my bedroom was warm..................repeating myself but it's what suits every individual!...........don't ever feel pressured by anyone ...........we on this forum all have great advice and tips of which a lot would work for some and not for others but then it's like some folk like their eggs boiled others poached some scrambled and some fried!............
Dave Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janis wrote:

at one point many years ago i had the crate in my bedroom as the hall was too cold at night but my bedroom was warm..................repeating myself but it's what suits every individual!...........don't ever feel pressured by anyone ...........

I thought the crates were for the dogs to go in? Twisted Evil Very Happy
Gaelle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Rowland wrote:
Janis wrote:

at one point many years ago i had the crate in my bedroom as the hall was too cold at night but my bedroom was warm..................repeating myself but it's what suits every individual!...........don't ever feel pressured by anyone ...........

I thought the crates were for the dogs to go in? : Very Happy
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
shirley c

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have our dogs in the bedroom at night, my mum has one the min Schnauzer in the bed and the ridgeback, Daka sleeps in the hall, my brother has 1 dog, Marley and he sleeps in the livingroom at night so just to point out even in one family we all do it different Very Happy and each case works for each of us, oh my sisters wee Lhasa sleeps on the bed and her partner lets it away with murder and its a grumpy we sh!t so it just depends on how good a pack leader you are
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janis wrote:
the problem then lies in when they become the leader of us!..................as long as you remain boss then that's fine!

As everyone has said, all dogs AND owners are different, you just need to find what works for you. The way I see it, the forum and the classes are places for ideas, information and advice, no one will judge you if you do things differently, but if you have problems, maybe another way of doing things is the solution. My present dogs, a boxer and a Great Dane, do not get up the stairs or on our beds. The main reasons for this are that the boxer is old and unstable on the stairs and Hektor, my lanky Dane, could fall down and break his legs. I'm finding agility is not Hektors strong point! Laughing

Another reason for Hektor not getting on the bed or the couch (apart from his size) is that I AM having dominance issues with him and need to make sure he doesnt take advantage and KNOWS that I am the Pack Leader. He HAS to know that he is bottom of the pile.

Saying all that, my boxer and previous dog, a lab called Ben, always got on the bed and I had no dominance problems from them. Its nice to confine the dog hair to downstairs too!!
Janis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lisa/Colin"]
Janis wrote:

I'm finding agility is not Hektors strong point! Laughing

oh i don't know lisa!........ http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex8QUF-SRBI

i could see the big guy doing this..............just keep the insurance payments up!..............seriously how much fun would that me !!!!!!
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic!!

What a clever dog and he clearly is having a ball!

Maybe one day, when he finally grows into his lanky legs...if you'd seen him yesterday sliding on his chin down a slope you would know what I mean about his lack of agility! Laughing Laughing
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant find Janis!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: