Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Is hitting your dog acceptable?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think that Hitting your dog is Animal Cruelty?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 23

Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
I helped with the one-to-ones at a local dog class, and also helped with the agility training.
People don't HAVE to take my advice, Cassandra....all I am doing is expressing my own opinions, just as you and others are doing, they just happen to differ.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.....Ces't la vie (sp?) and all that! Wink

You really need to check your posts before hitting the submit button Nicola. Because 'your opinion' is coming across very differently.

Its normally referred to as passive aggressive behaviour.
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
Nicola wrote:

Yes, I trained as a dog groomer so have had experience and handled many different breeds, from Chihuahuas and Yorkies to Rottweilers and Newfoundlands.

I grew up with a collie type dog and cats. The house next door had a GSD and border collie. I also have a crossbreed now. A lot of my friends have also always had dogs too.

My sister is a trained dog groomer, runs her own business down in Hastings, so I know the amount of education and experience you get from that job and its just not the same as you currently have with your westies.I am talking about dogs you yourself have been in charge of...trained...to be able to post messages in such judgment of people as you have done on this forum.

I gained a lot of experience through dog grooming...handling and otherwise...I also helped a few people with behavioural problems they were having wth their dogs, and they thanked me no end.
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.....Ces't la vie (sp?) and all that! Wink

that's it. Nothing wrong with healthy debating........... just as long as it doesn't get personal.
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
Nicola wrote:
I helped with the one-to-ones at a local dog class, and also helped with the agility training.
People don't HAVE to take my advice, Cassandra....all I am doing is expressing my own opinions, just as you and others are doing, they just happen to differ.

You really need to check your posts before hitting the submit button Nicola. Because 'your opinion' is coming across very differently.

Its normally referred to as passive aggressive behaviour.

Laughing Cassandra, I happen to like my posts, thanks. It's you who seems to have a problem with them. Very Happy

Me, aggressive? You know nothing about me. Wink

You've chatted with me on a forum for one night, and you have decided that i'm passively aggressive....I could say that what makes you "qualified" to determine the type of person I am....through a quick chat on a messageboard.... Rolling Eyes Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
Nicola wrote:

that's it. Nothing wrong with healthy debating........... just as long as it doesn't get personal.

Exactly, Marcella...I've enjoyed myseld tonight! Very Happy

Now I really am going to bed! Confused Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good night Nicola.
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
good night Nicola.

Night, Marcella. Smile
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:

Laughing Cassandra, I happen to like my posts, thanks. It's you who seems to have a problem with them. Very Happy

You've chatted with me on a forum for one night, and you have decided that i'm passively aggressive....I could say that what makes you "qualified" to determine the type of person I am....through a quick chat on a messageboard.... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Nicola hunni. I have participated and maintained message boards on various subjects for the last 5 years, participated in debates on far more philosophical and intellectual debates than just dogs, and I can...100% hand on heart assure you that I have seen it all.
That is why i feel I am 'qualified' to comment on your posting behaviour. Even if it is just your internet personality, I've seen it before...over and over and over again.
Same old replies, same ole smilies...same old same old.

If you wish to take my comments as an psychological analysis of yourself then thats your business, however your attempts to twist basic english are see through to say the least.
Janice
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a bit off topic but I wondered exactly what is meant by corrections. I assume a lead correction means a jerk but what do people mean by scruffing and alpha rolls? So far I've just tried to be positive with Dale and my last dog shook if anyone raised their voice even if he wasn't the one in trouble so it was never really an issue.
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
Nicola wrote:

Nicola hunni. I have participated and maintained message boards on various subjects for the last 5 years, participated in debates on far more philosophical and intellectual debates than just dogs, and I can...100% hand on heart assure you that I have seen it all.
That is why i feel I am 'qualified' to comment on your posting behaviour. Even if it is just your internet personality, I've seen it before...over and over and over again.
Same old replies, same ole smilies...same old same old.

If you wish to take my comments as an psychological analysis of yourself then thats your business, however your attempts to twist basic english are see through to say the least.

Oooh, scary stuff! Shocked Laughing I'm a devil. Twisted Evil

Goodnight, dearest Cassandra. Very Happy Wink
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
This may be a bit off topic but I wondered exactly what is meant by corrections. I assume a lead correction means a jerk but what do people mean by scruffing and alpha rolls? So far I've just tried to be positive with Dale and my last dog shook if anyone raised their voice even if he wasn't the one in trouble so it was never really an issue.

Janice your post got lost in the middle of the Cassandra and Nicola lovefest!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'll let John answer that! Wink
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
[Oooh, scary stuff! Shocked Laughing I'm a devil. Twisted Evil

Goodnight, dearest Cassandra. Very Happy Wink

No you're not the devil has more style

Janice wrote:

Have you ever watched a mother with her pups, or even a pack of wolves and their pups? Placing a dog on its back is putting it in a submissive position, its something the alpha in a pack would do to a lesser ranked dog within the group. This is what I think is referred to as an alpha roll.

My friend with staffies has done this on a couple of occassions...she even went the whole hog and pinned said dog with 'her' mouth...just to get the point across.

Another correction you will see, and I remember seeing this with my last BC's mum and older half brother. Is simply pushing the pup to the ground with scruff of the neck. Obviously mum has teeth and you have to be careful, because mum won't use much force...cos of said teeth Very Happy ..you are making a point rather than trying to physically hurt them...which is what I would refer to as a hit.

I only had to do this once with my old BC. I have done it once with Ash when he was getting too boistrous with the kids and he has been fine.
carol
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think hitting your dog is productive.

Why would you hit a dog?
To get it to do what it is told?
or
to stop doing something you don't want?

I have 10 dogs in my home. I have no need to hit or throw any of them on their back or to shout at them.

The way I look at it is if my dog is doing something I dislike, the problem stems from me! Im the one who is training him and I must recognize, prevent and avoid situations that lead to my dog doing something or getting himself into a situation I dislike.

marcella

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carol wrote:
I don't think hitting your dog is productive.

I have no need to hit or throw any of them on their back or to shout at them.

Alpha rolling is a practice I find quite disturbing ............... only the other day John showed me a video of this that was on youtube and neither of us found it easy viewing. Poor dog was distressed.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes back down to breeds...individual dogs and the handlers.

Laura has already posted about how normal pack mentality isn't applicable to staffies because of their breeds purpose.
Different breeds require different handling, you cannot possibly use the same techniques with ALL breeds of dog.

I think that there needs to be an establishment of what people constitute as 'hitting'.

Perhaps there is another dividing line in the debate I think. People who are happy to work with the breeds nature and those who wish to humanise the dog?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: