Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Is hitting your dog acceptable?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think that Hitting your dog is Animal Cruelty?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 23

Nicola

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
I ticked Yes , though i read it wrong ..lol..should have been no, i dont think its cruel.

I think it is safe to say that as dog lovers and owners we can draw the line between abuse, and giving a dog that is pushing its luck and behaving like a little b*gger a hot backside for its efforts. Smile

I dont believe all this New age tut that if your dog is behaving like a complete an utter b*gger once in a while, that its all your fault for not being a good owner Rolling Eyes
I think that's rubbish... dogs will do what gains them the most, its as simple as that, and its quite stunning how many variations they can come up with.

Some things are acceptable and some things are not... if you have a house dog you will come across numerous things that are not acceptable . Unless you are super fantastic and can think ahead of every situation for every breed , you are going to come across things one at a time and according to the age of the dog and its breeding , they will be different things . Dogs are not machines and they all differ.

Marcella i agree..you summed it up very well. Breeds differ Smile

Its all very well for them with their potnoodles to be saying " this is how things should be done" but that neither here nore there if you own a mastiff for example .

Nicola...did you not have a run in with someone called Ron recently?,,or is that another Nicola?

Sam

Ps....I am assuming multi-pedigree is another name for mongrel? . If we talking dogs then i dont think . Its right to be all high and mighty about breeding in one post, and then lump them all in together in another. Yes they are all dogs, but they are very different depending on breeding. I dont think that alpha roll thing is suitable for anything bigger than a pup.
Very Happy

Sam

Not me, Sam.

Oh, and the multi-pedigree thing is just a joke! Laughing My wee Roxy's a mongrel through and through. Smile
Lindy
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I've caught up with this thread.... jeso lots of debate on this one a good thread... my opinion is reflected in much of what has been said, dogs come in all shapes, sizes and personnaliltes. I really think that you have to start with the breed traits when training and I have learned so much about JRTS since I have got Dora and as a result my pup JRT Lizzy is getting the fruits of my new skills and exerience. Now JRTs are small dogs with BIG personalities and if they can elevate themselves to top dog they will without a doubt. Now this is not an easliy answered question YES or NO as I agree that a correction can be a necessity with some dogs, Dora for such a small dog can pull me and i don't mean a little pull she is very strong for a small dog and has been known to nearly pull me off my feet, now a half and full correction do not work, niether does food as she gets fed up with it and decides it not worth the work she has better things to smell Laughing Now I have decided she need a prong collar after much consideration and having tried them on her and myself 9round my arm to feel what it's like) I feel that it's the best way to get her attention and stop the pulling which was causing me back pain. I also feel that as part of the new leadership training I have put in this tools will also makle Dora submit to me as the pack leader outside as well as inside and this is very important as she has a very good NOSE for the RABBITS and will run after any prey she smells. This behaviour puts her at risk as she pays no attention to roads or anything else when she is on the scent. i have no other choice and am happy to use the prong as it will be a god send for me and Dora.

I wold never hit/punch or physically abuse a dog, i have taped on the nose and smacked bottoms but never anything more and don't condone anything more.
StuartW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think something this thread has illustrated is that corporal punishment can't be categorised simply as 'hitting'. A 'hit' could mean anything from a single, barely perceptable tap.. to a repeated and severe beating leaving the dog injured. These are two extremes of course, the actual act will fall in the middle somewhere! Whether this physical act of 'hitting' is actually cruel or not is also dependent on the motives behind it, and this in turn is complicated by the hitter's ability (or lack of) to comprehend the motive and action adequately (this is where the distinction between breeds, size of dog, etc fit in). And this is all compared with standards set by our peers.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy, following Eleanor's advice we got a gentle leader for Otto and it works a treat. He would walk to heel for me on the pavement, but no matter what technique I tried on grassy bits - no chance.

Ian could handle him, but he knew I wasn't as strong as Ian and I found him really hard to control on a walk (though strangely he sees me as the boss in the house and does less for Ian).

Not only does he walk nicely now, he is much more biddable overall - sitting at the kerb, leaving rubbish at the side of the road. It really does make you the leader but in a gentle way.

He does look at me like I'm spoiling his fun, but it's better than a sore arm and frustration.

Mind you, he is a brute in comparison to your wee one.

As for hitting - I don't see much wrong with a tap on the nose, but with mine it's much better to ignore the bad and praise the good. He gets a time out in the kitchen on his own for 2 mins if he's been really bad ie nipping, that does the trick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: