Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Our princess isn't too good
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deborah Hamilton
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Our princess isn't too good Reply with quote

Hi folks that know us. Belated merry christmas and happy new year Rolling Eyes Didn't get any cards out this year again!!!!!!!!!!
We have just been told Mishka who is just 23 months has severe dysplasia and arthritis as a result. She actually doesn't have anything that can be related to hip joints they are so bad.
Needless to say we are devasted at this news. So for the few kind words that both Kirsty and Shirley have given us we will treasure every precious moment we have with her. Don't think she will be able to come back to class ( that was no1 resolution ) but hope everyone will keep in touch. We might even manage a wee night at some point. Mishka is nearly just as bouncy Rolling Eyes . You would never have guessed she has been in so much pain and discomfort. Fingers crossed for her. Smile
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreadful news Deborah, I'm so sorry to hear it. Hope a miracle can happen for you all. As you say all you can do is treasure the time you have with her. Sad Big hugs, take care & keep us posted how things go.xxxx
Dave Rowland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear oh dear... my mother suffers from arthritus and relies on myself a lot.. poor dog
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jack. We are absolutely devasted. We were actually getting a bit closer to getting her a wee brother as well. You just never know the minute. We are looking in to every type of care we can give her , including alternative treatments. Fingers crossed. x
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Rowland wrote:
oh dear oh dear... my mother suffers from arthritus and relies on myself a lot.. poor dog

Dave, you would never have known to see her. She has almost been as bouncy( aka Tigger) as always but here had just been lots of wee things that I think I picked up on that were beginning to ring alarm bells.

She comes from excellent blood lines, her dad is 4th ranked in the world and her mum is also highly ranked. Both with very low hip scores and progeny are all the same, except poor Mish. Crying or Very sad
kendal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so sorry to hear about Mishka, have you had a look at magnetic collars, i know it won solve the problem but i could help. my gran swore by magnets.

hope to see you both at some point.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deborah Hamilton wrote:
Thanks Jack. We are absolutely devasted. We were actually getting a bit closer to getting her a wee brother as well. You just never know the minute. We are looking in to every type of care we can give her , including alternative treatments. Fingers crossed. x

I'll keep EVERYTHING crossed for you hun and if I find anything that may be of use I'll pop it on here for you Smile I'm assuming you have tried magnetic/bioflow collars? and all the herbal remedies?

You'll have your hands pretty full I can imagine but it would be lovely for her to have another dog around IF you could manage it. I got my Sykes when my Mitzi was suffering Cushings and it did comfort her having him around - gave her a new lease of life for a while. I'm so glad I did it.
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are looking into them and magnetic beds for her so if anyone can offer their advice on a particular sort thats better than others. Thanks for that Kendal
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just snagged this from my forum - don;t know if it's of any use but here you are:
The Wikepedia explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_dysplasia_%28canine%29 -

[edit] Normal hip anatomy
In the normal anatomy of the hip joint, the femur (the thigh bone) is connected to the pelvis at the hip joint. The almost spherical end of the femur head (the caput, or caput ossis femoris) fits into the acetabulum (a concave socket located in the pelvis). The bony surface of the femur head and of the acetabulum are covered by cartilage. While bones provide the strength necessary to support body weight, cartilage ensures a smooth fit and a wide range of motion. Normal hip function can be affected by congenital conditions such as dysplasia, discussed in this article, trauma, and by acquired diseases such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.

[edit] Dysplastic hip anatomy
In a hip suffering from dysplasia, two things are commonly abnormal. First, the caput is not deeply and tightly held by the acetabulum. Instead of being a snug fit, it is a loose fit, or a partial fit. Secondly, the caput or acetabulum are not smooth and round, but are misshapen, causing abnormal wear and tear or friction within the joint as it moves.

The body reacts to this in several ways. First, the joint itself is continually repairing itself and laying down new cartilage. However cartilage repair is a relatively slow process (the most rapid bodily repairs are often in systems with a blood flow, which cartilage lacks).

So the joint may suffer degradation due to the abnormal wear and tear, or may not support the body weight as intended. The joint becomes inflamed and a cycle of cartilage damage, inflammation and pain commences. This is a self-fueling process, in that the more the joint becomes damaged, the less able it is to resist further damage. The inflammation causes further damage. The bones of the joint may also develop osteoarthritis, visible on an X-ray as small outcrops of bone, which further degrade the joint.[1]

The underlying deformity of the joint may get worse over time, or may remain static. A dog may have good X-rays and yet be in pain, or may have very poor X-rays and apparently almost no problems. The hip condition is only one factor to determine the extent to which dysplasia is causing pain or affecting the quality of life. In mild to moderate dysplasia it is often the secondary effects of abnormal wear and tear or arthritis, rather than dysplasia itself, which is the direct causes of visible problems.

[edit] Causes and effects
In dogs, a femur that does not fit correctly into the pelvic socket, or poorly developed muscles in the pelvic area. Large and giant breeds are susceptible to hip dysplasia, and Cocker spaniels and Shetland sheepdogs are also known to suffer from it. Cats are also known to have this condition, especially Siamese.[2]

To reduce pain, the animal or person will typically reduce their movement of that hip. In animals this may be visible as "bunny hopping", where both legs move together, or less dynamic movement (running, jumping), or stiffness. Since the hip cannot move fully, the body compensates by adapting its use of the spine, often causing spinal, stifle (a dog's knee joint), or soft tissue problems to arise.

In dogs, the problem almost always appears by the time the dog is 18 months old. The defect can be anywhere from mild to severely crippling. It can cause severe osteoarthritis eventually.[3]

It is most common in medium-large pure bred dogs, such as German Shepherd Dogs, Labrador or Golden retrievers, Rottweilers and Mastiffs, but also occurs in some smaller breeds such as spaniels and occasionally (usually with minor symptoms) in cats.

[edit] Clinical detection and testing

[edit] Symptoms
Dogs might exhibit signs of stiffness or soreness after rising from rest, reluctance to exercise, bunny-hopping or other abnormal gait (legs move more together when running rather than swinging alternately), lameness, pain, reluctance to stand on rear legs, jump up, or climb stairs, subluxation or dislocation of the hip joint, or wasting away of the muscle mass in the hip area. Radiographs (X-rays) often confirm the presence of hip dysplasia, but radiographic features may not be present until two years of age in some dogs. Moreover, many affected dogs do not show clinical signs, but some dogs manifest the problem before seven months of age, while others do not show it until well into adulthood.

In part this is because the underlying hip problem may be mild or severe, may be worsening or stable, and the body may be more or less able to keep the joint in repair well enough to cope. Also, different animals have different pain tolerances and different weights, and use their bodies differently, so a light dog who only walks, will have a different joint use than a more heavy or very active dog. Some dogs will have a problem early on, others may never have a real problem at all.

Each case must be treated on its own merits, and a range of treatment options exist.

[edit] Diagnosis
The classic diagnostic technique is with appropriate x-Rays and hip scoring tests. These should be done at an appropriate age, and perhaps repeated at adulthood - if done too young they will not show anything. Since the condition is to a large degree inherited, the hip scores of parents should be professionally checked before buying a pup, and the hip scores of dogs should be checked before relying upon them for breeding. Despite the fact that the ..

cont....

[edit] Diagnosis
The classic diagnostic technique is with appropriate x-Rays and hip scoring tests. These should be done at an appropriate age, and perhaps repeated at adulthood - if done too young they will not show anything. Since the condition is to a large degree inherited, the hip scores of parents should be professionally checked before buying a pup, and the hip scores of dogs should be checked before relying upon them for breeding. Despite the fact that the condition is inherited, it can occasionally arise even to animals with impeccable hip scored parents.

In diagnosing suspected dysplasia, the x-ray to evaluate the internal state of the joints, is usually combined with a study of the animal and how it moves, to confirm whether its quality of life is being affected. Evidence of lameness or abnormal hip or spine use, difficulty or reduced movement when running or navigating steps, are all evidence of a problem. Both aspects have to be taken into account since there can be serious pain with little X-ray evidence.

It is also common to X-ray the spine and legs, as well as the hips, where dysplasia is suspected, since soft tissues can be affected by the extra strain of a dysplastic hip, or there may be other undetected factors such as neurological issues (eg nerve damage) involved.

There are several standardized systems for categorising dysplasia, set out by respective reputable bodies (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals/OFA, PennHIP, British Veterinary Association/BVA). Some of these tests require manipulation of the hip joint into standard positions, in order to reveal their condition on an X-ray, and since this is very painful and must be held still for a clear image, often the animal will be anaesthetised or sedated to achieve clear diagnostic results

It's worth visiting this site as there's a lot more to see along with some xrays clearly showing "normal" hips and hips with dysplasia
Janis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh debs this is dreadful news....... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad i'm so so sorry she is such a lovely girl!

i too am a big magnet fan..........so please try a good one!

cuddles and tummy rubs for her!
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few other sites that may be of use:

http://www.vetionx.com/arthro-ionx_hip.php?gclid=CIjdprTSm5gCFQrFGgodwnf7mQ

http://www.allergicpet.com/lame-eze_testimonials.html?source=GoogleLamezeAdWordTest&gclid=CM-jn8_Sm5gCFQsaHgod-HcGng

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1569&aid=444

http://petsurgery.com/caninehipdysplasia.html

http://www.offa.org/hiptreat.html

Also you might want to try Hydrotherapy -would keep her active but keep the pressure OFF her joints?
Check these out:

http://www.k9surf.com/main/canine_k9_hydrotherapy_pools.asp

http://www.arthritis-help-for-pets.com/new_site/site.asp?pageid=2328&gclid=CKOts...

This one's based in Devon: http://www.aquadogs.co.uk/

Don't want to overload you but they may be of some use Smile
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jack. I worked in the vets for many years. The vets were astonished when they looked at her x rays. She basically doesn't have hips. Her ball and socket don't connect at all. The ball sits completely outside the socket. It is all ragged too due to the arthritis it has caused.
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janis wrote:
oh debs this is dreadful news....... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad i'm so so sorry she is such a lovely girl!

i too am a big magnet fan..........so please try a good one!

cuddles and tummy rubs for her!

We will Janis. We only got told on Wednesday so I have been on the internet since. She is on metacm and Glycoflex 3 to start her off.
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
Whoops sorry Deborah, didn't realise that. Some of those sites might give some useful leads to you though?

I'll keep looking and if I find anything else I'll post - please just disregard what you have already checked or already know.
Janis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

expensive i know but could they give her artificial ball and socket joint?.............maybe some insurance cover!?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: