Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Luna not so little anymore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerry
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Luna not so little anymore Reply with quote

hi guys, well that is us back from new zealand, oh I swore freezing over here Sad anyway prob will not be back to training until march as luna came into heat/season what do you call it Smile when we were away, poor mum had both of them:(
anyway she started showing about 2 weeks ago so really just asking all of you that have went through it what to do:) other than keep them apart, apparently koda has his moments but he hasnt been to bad. Been looking on the web at how long it lasts, when is she most receptive and how long that last for and when is is there is no chance of them having puppies ?? the web answers some questions but it doenst beat experience Smile
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kerry

Hope you both had a good holiday. If you think this is cold, last week was Artic!

Sorry no advice from me as I've never had a bitch before...
kerry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was good thanks, far to warm over there , was a freak heatwave with it being 35 degrees for most of it Sad yeah we heard we missed that, i wanted to see the snow but i think i can cope missing it lol yeah we have never had a bitch before so i just know what i have read Sad
Margaret J
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kerry, seasons can vary from dog to dog but Breagha and Roonie normally last up to 6 weeks.

as for when they are liable to produce puppies from my research and talks with breeders when i was looking at having Roonie studded...............when they flag their tail (move it off to the side) to give the male dog easy access which usually occurs anything from 14 to 19 days from first show of dark red blood....and can last for 6-7 days.

this again can vary but gives you an idea of what to look for ........good luck keeping them apart... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Kerry, nice to have you back -hope you had a brilliant time!!! Smile

As regards seasons my 2 Staffie bitches bled for 3 weeks each time (VERY heavily) and remained fertile for at least 1-2 weeks after each season. They were "receptive" throughout their seasons but I would say were at their peak 2 weeks in until at least a week after the blood stopped - drove my Sykes demented even though he'd been chopped as they were constantly putting their backsides onto his nose to encourage him Rolling Eyes they were a complete pair of shameless hussies!!!! You will have to watch Luna's temperament during this time too as my girls were prone to mood and attitude swings and were more inclined to be snappy (NEVER with humans) at this time as the pain and the hormones drove them up the wall - you have to watch carefully not just for accidental matings but also for fights breaking out for no apparent reason so stay watchful.

To keep the house hygeninc I used (SORRY BOYS STOP READING NOW!) K-9 sanitary pants with a sanitary towel (for heavy flow) popped into them. The girls however were constantly rubbing their backsides and flanks against furniture, door frames, Sykes, each other etc and the pants kept coming off. Plus as they grew older their flow became even heavier so I switched. I used to put them in nappies for toddlers with a hole cut out for their tails and these stayed put - ofcourse they looked ridiculous but it did the trick. You must remember however to keep the nappies off when crating them and also when letting them out to the loo. Luna shouldn't be walked for at least 1 week after the blood flow has stopped - preferrably 2 weeks. She will have swollen down below and that will never return to it's "normal" size but when she has finished her heat the size will reduce somewhat and THAT is your best guideline as to when she is no longer fertile. Do not ever leave her alone with Koda until this time as they WILL mate whether you want them to or not.

Hope that's been of some help - if you want to know anything else just ask & I'll be happy to answer.xxx
Isabel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has koda been done kerry? If not maybe think about it if you don't want pups, cos he'll find a way Wink
kerry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your advice any is much appreiated Smile i think my mum says the bleeding looks like it was getting less so that means now i have to be extra careful with them Smile

koda will be getting done sometime this year so hopefuly next time will be easier Smile although he apparently hasnt been that bad, just has his moments when he prob cant take much more lol
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Luna tried mounting Koda yet??? THAT will be her at her peak - the girls used to mount each other AND Sykes when they were at their peak and boy they had ALL the moves if the wrong way round! Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
shirley c

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our lurchers are easier, 3 week their season lasts and even then, apart from a few days at the peak, Pixel wont let anything near her, thank goodned we didnt want to breed fronm her, would have a smal window of opportunity, Moya was the same and it was day 19 really for her when we did breed her.

If you decide to get Luna speyed, wait till about 12 wks after her season...I was going to get Pixel done this month as she would be in her 12 weekd end of this month, but dont think im going to get it this time...money is short Sad and I have 2 kittens to get done too Rolling Eyes
kirsty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kerry, great to have you back....hope you had a great time. Has paul started his training yet.

It is wee Koda I feel sorry for. I had a malr=espaniel and a female GSD and Bruce our spaniel used to make himself really ill, not eat, throw up etc.....he would try to mount her...which we kept and eye on....but zara the GSD was miserable as she was not getting out and I alway thought she was in pain and in those days would never have considered giving an animal a paracetamol....but it was definately the dog who fared worse.

good luck with this awful predicament.
JennyMc
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Kerry glad you had great time. Anyway Tala is in season for three weeks and Bear doesn't bother with her apart from the odd sniff the first and last week. During the second week he won't eat,sleep and his coat goes to pot and he will do ANYTHING to get her!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He whines,howls and is a nightmare Embarassed Tala goes for him if he tries to mount her.
Aimee is having her first and last season and is in week 5. She is trying to hump everyone dog and human and Bear has been Extremely keen since her second week and still trying everything to get her. Tala has also tried mounting Aimee who didn't seem to mind at all.
I guess the point is that each bitch and dog react differently. You may find next time they will both be differently as this is new to them as the first season Bear lived with he wasn't that keen but has got worse with each one but two at once nearly killed him and everyone in this house were driven crazy.
kerry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you everyone:) well we have Koda back, and Luna is staying at my mums for a wee bit longer until she is out of season, gives then both a bit of peace, both seem to be fine, missing each other a bit of course, but non the less happy Smile
Lorna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you back, Kerry. Separating them, one at mum's, seems like a great idea. it will be much easier for everyone concerned and you will be certain of no puppies. Lots of good advice given already and you seem to be handling it well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: