Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Upset puppy tummy
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Upset puppy tummy Reply with quote

Tilly has had the same problem since she was a tiny pup and before we take her to the vet, yet again, i was wondering if anyone knew a solution, or what the problem is or seen it in one of their own pets?

Every couple of days Tilly pretty much throws up everything she has eaten and its still in reasonable condition, so she's not chewing she's swallowing like a duck. She never seems phased by it but could there be a blockage so her food isn't going down properly or is it the type of food? She was on pedigree when we got her and then get switched to JWB but then she didnt like that and the vet told us to put her on chappie but she doesnt like that either so now she's on ceasar and a basic mixer. She eats it fine and she doesnt have back end problems just the being sick thing.

Anyone know how to help her from ruining our carpets some more? Razz Just want her stomach to settle
Jack
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be that she's eating too quick so it hits her tummy and shocks it into reacting? Have you noticed that?

My Ella goes through phases of being sick and I can ALWAYS now trace it to her eating too quickly OR too much and if I alter her meal times and she feels somehow forced to eat too quickly - perhaps Tilly is the same?
tricia
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that your having this problem with wee Tilly.... certainly , like you say she looks really healthy......
so she must be getting all the nutrition that she needs... how many meals do you give her a day?
Would it maybe help her to feed 3 very small meals a day?
Might be that she is just eating too much too quickly..... haven't encountered this problem with my lot, but when they are
pups , they can be greedy and just over do it!! Smile
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She gets a meal in the morning and a meal at night and a small treat for lunch, the vet told us to give her half a digestive at night since its bland and would settle her stomach so she gets that at bed time. But she does eat very quickly, how can I make her eat slower? Also her food is kept in the fridge once opened could the temperature be a factor too?
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Boxer Ollie did this periodically. He would be fine for most of the time then either not want his breakfast in the morning, or eat it then throw it up (lovely Confused )

The Vet just said he had a sensitive stomach and to feed him twice a day instead of just once, which I did but still he would do it...he was ALWAYS ready for his dinner at 6pm tho...sorry not more help Sad
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tilly does that, if she throws up she wont eat her meals the next day and then she'll go back again the day after and eat, sometimes.
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna wrote:
She gets a meal in the morning and a meal at night and a small treat for lunch, the vet told us to give her half a digestive at night since its bland and would settle her stomach so she gets that at bed time. But she does eat very quickly, how can I make her eat slower? Also her food is kept in the fridge once opened could the temperature be a factor too?

Hiya Anna,

If you want to make her eat the biscuit more slowly there are two things you could try. First you could break it into little pieces yourself but she would most likely just swallow them and not chew at all (like my Rosie Rolling Eyes ) OR you could hold it in your hand and allow her to nibble it a little at a time - you have to trust your dog to not bite you if you use this method as most of the biscuit should be hidden in your hand with only a tiny bit available to her Wink

Food temperature - if you are feeding her immediately you take the food from the fridge then yes this WILL be too much of a shock to her delicate tummy and will cause her to vomit. Try taking the food out at least 10 minutes before feeding and allow it to be at least luke warm but preferably at room temperature before you give it to her. Hope that helps - kisses to the delicate wee one Wink .xxxxxxx
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna,

How's things with Tilly now? Any improvement?
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She went off her food yesterday and threw up a little water but we are giving her her meals one little bit at a time and see how she gets on. Her food is no longer in the fridge but an air tight container to keep it fresh so hopefully she wont be ruining the carpet anytime soon Razz She seems quite happy at the mo
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KENDAL.ALSO.SAYS.POP.AN.UPSIDE DOWN.EGG.CUP.IN.THE.MIDDLE.OF.HER.FOOD.BOWL.AND.THIS.MAY.STOP.HER.EATING.SO.FAST!..... Rolling Eyes WORTH.A.GO.....OR.PUT.HER.FOOD.IN.A.KONG!!!
kendal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brake fast bowl

Link

cheaper home made version
im just saying eag cup because is smaller sor her size

Link

graceb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find Kendal.

I like your new sig pic Smile
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Tilly threw up her breakfast and dinner yesterday and i got up this morning to find her throwing up, well nothing, just trying to throw up and my mum says she has a runny bottom so she'll be going to the vet tomorrow. She has wee pale ears and a wee pale tongue but her nose is still wet.

Is there anything in the garden that she might have swallowed which could be getting this reaction?
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of things in the garden could cause this - the most apparently harmless plants can be toxic to dogs - it's why I don't ever allow mine to graze as even a lawn treatment could upset a tummy. I'm a tad overprotective of my lot as you know so I don't take any risks - if they're outside then I'm out there with them just to make sure they don't eat something they shouldn't or tear round like lunatics for so long that they sprain something (Ella naturally!).

Hope Tilly is OK - keep us posted. The pale ears etc concern me. Make sure she gets plenty of water as throwing up so often could severely dehydrate her - pale ears, pink of the mouth and eyes can all indicate dehydration - if her eyes appear a little sunken then get water into her quick however you can.xxx
graceb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Tilly, I hope she feels better soon. If you search on the Web there is a site that lists all the plants that are poisonous to dogs. I have a copy of this somewhere on my laptop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: