Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Flooded kitchen.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janice
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Flooded kitchen. Reply with quote

Thank goodness for the forum to chat on. Its so boring hanging about waiting for repair men.

Our dish washer has taken to flooding the kitchen spectacularly. This will be the second call out. Last time he couldn't see anything wrong Evil or Very Mad Mike set the thing going this morning so he'll have to paddle through wet towels to reach the machine. Its only got a few months left of the extended warranty so I hope he gets it properly fixed this time.

Its probably been leaking for a while but we didn't notice until Dale started lifting the vinly.If he lets us out on Friday without attacking it again I might get it replaced. Any ideas for Dale proof anti -chew flooring? He does have a god set of teeth.
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a solid metal floor, like treadplate? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

Shame about your dishwasher, I think I'd be looking for a replacement if they failed to fix it last time. Confused
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A replacement would be nice but its almost 5 years old so I don't suppose we'd be that lucky. We're usually too mean to get extended warranties but it went wrong in its first year.
Magz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I put down tiles in my hall and kitchen, but you can get a spray to put down that tastes awful, that would work if its the same spot he goes for.
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ............ we have used Bitter Apple in the past when Murphy was a puppy. He wanted to chew the kitchen cupboard doors Confused and shoes .........
So we bought the Bitter Apple and followed the instructions. Completely harmless to dogs but the abhor the taste. It worked.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your flooded Kitchen...not to mention the pain with the dishwasher itself. Hope you get it sorted soon.

I 'think' there are generally two reasons a BC will take to chewing your home...
1. it is bored and doesn't have enough chewy toys.
2. you haven't established solidly that the home is YOUR turf and should be respected.

Have you got Barbara Sykes book on Border Collies? I know you said you have read her stuff. It maybe worthwhile getting something more for him to chew on and more firmly pushing your territorial boundaries.
I remember something about the crate training and if the dog starts chewing anything out of its crate...you move the dog and the chewy toy (or swop what they were chewing for their own toy) and put the dog back in its crate.

HTH's
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale has weird tastes. He likes the sprays I've spent a fortune on them Last time he followed me round LICKING where I sprayed! Twisted Evil He also likes lemon, pepper and vinegar.

Come to think of it Marcella Maybe I could lend him to you once I get the kitchen sorted. The trouble is to chew through the burglar alarm and set it off he has to lift the flooring.

Seriously I think he's getting better but the floor is criss- crossed with duck tape. He can lift that but it takes time. And he's stopped trying to eat the leather chair. That's a definite improvement. He just likes to chew when he's tired then he goes to sleep...cute. You'd really enjoy him Marcella
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ............ you're still not putting me off you know!!! I love him to bits.

If I still have the Bitter Apple I will bring it to the club next week and you can give it a try. I doubt VERY much he'd like it............ it's really awful stuff ............ I should know I tasted it to see what I was spraying into my dogs mouth! Embarassed Vile..... but harmless.
Magz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ............ you're still not putting me off you know!!! I love him to bits.

If I still have the Bitter Apple I will bring it to the club next week and you can give it a try. I doubt VERY much he'd like it............ it's really awful stuff ............ I should know I tasted it to see what I was spraying into my dogs mouth! Embarassed Vile..... but harmless.

I love how you and John get right in there checking out everything before you let the dogs have it, Wish I could be so brave. Shocked Very Happy
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marcella I'll try anything once. Though by now its really the metal strips at the edges he's attacking. He KNOWS he shouldn't and stops as soon as you look at him.

yes Cass I've got the book and he is improving.
The trouble in the kitchen started when he was small. He saw the wire at the edge of the vinyl and tore it up investigating and a torn edge is just irresistible. He hasn't chewed anything new for ages he just goes back to his old favourites now and again. That's why i'm thinking of looking for new stuff. I'd just hate to spend money and then find it chewed. But he does chew himself to sleep if he was a baby I'll bet he'd suck his thumb.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's going back to the stuff he got away with. Ash has something similar. He has chewed the wood on the side of his den which is part of the wall Shocked
Its not really a thing we can replace very easily...maybe a sand and repaint lol

It is essentially his terrority that bit...but still...its the wall and unfortunately just right for getting those side teeth!

If Dale is now respecting the rest of the house...just not that bit, it maybe worthwhile investing in replacement but just watch him like a hawk when he is in the kitchen ready to tell him off if he attempts his old habbits.

Obviously the spray is worth a go too!
kirsty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice

I have had my new american fridge freezer for a week and its broke!!! commet are bringing a new one next saturday. So know how you feel - water all over the kitchen floor coming through he ice dispenser

But just for info - My friend buys all her electrical out of costco as she told me a couple have broken down after 3 OR 4 YEARS and she has just taken them back for replacement - no quibble.

So when I needed a tumble dryer - costco was the first stop - and I checked this out for myself - yes they do just replace broken electrical goods!!!!! you dont even have to keep your receipt as you are on the computer!!!!!!

I have just put down tiles throughout my whole bottom floor with the exception of the lounge and conservatory - If I thought I could have got away with tiles in these rooms too I would have done the whole lot - what a difference. No metal door dividers for the hair to catch, no grubby looking laminate, every day I just take a brush then a wet mop over the whole surface, takes a few mins. GREAT - I wonder how dale would do trying to chew through ceramic
Laughing
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who works for comet...very local. I wouldn't buy from em!
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty it must be so annoying when something new doesn't work.

Tiles would be nice but the floor isn't level and its not our house so don't want to spend a fortune.

ah repair man has arrived so hopefully that'll fix it.

Dale's a bit disgruntled Not a doggy repair man so Dale shut in crate.

Interesting what Cass said I think Dale may see kitchen as his. His crates there and that's where we leave him when we're going out. I suppose I should shut him in the crate but.....he always promises to be good.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:

Interesting what Cass said I think Dale may see kitchen as his. His crates there and that's where we leave him when we're going out. I suppose I should shut him in the crate but.....he always promises to be good.

ooooooo yes that maybe an issue. I had that problem with Tor. Did it without realising. I gave him the run of the kitchen and the back garden thinking he would be happier roaming about. It caused soooo many problems...especially seeing as everyone had to come through our garden to get to their houses Embarassed
Never actually sorted that problem out. Crying or Very sad

With Ash...he been shown without doubt what is his and what isn't. Which is why I am not so hugely angry at the wall. I have told him I am not happy about it when I caught him doing it...but its better than him chewing up the rest of the house.
I seen BC's demolish peoples houses and gardens!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: