Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Keeping Fit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Keeping Fit Reply with quote

OK ............ I am growing on a daily basis and I NEED to do something. My daily walks are not enough and I simply love my food too much to starve myself (I don't have the willpower) I eat a fairly balanced diet and don't eat fried foods. I also cook myself and extremely rarely do I resort to convenience foods mainly because I don't like the bland flavour or that glugginess they have puke_r
So ............ I need to up my exercise.......... no other choice. I am very unfit now. Up until 2 years ago I was doing not too bad. Went to spin classes 3 times a week which improved my fitness loads. But I took pneumonia and after a stay in hospital and a few months recuperation it left me totally knackered with no energy and no stamina whatsoever. I've never managed to get back to any sort of fitness level since.

So ........... anyone want to drag me to the gym???????? Laughing

What do you do to stay fit?
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take another look at your diet before paying out on the gym.

A few simple changes could make all the difference. Not everyone is the same and you could have less of a tolerance for carbs than you do for sugars.
My grandad for example...cut out beer, cheese and sugar in his tea and the weight dropped off him.

I tend to put weight on if I don't get a fix of chocolate. No seriously.

You could also see how much processed foods you eating.

Just a few suggestions. Oh...water...lots of it..if you not taking your daily requirement up it!
Magz
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to the gym 3 times a week, granted its the kids active 8 and I only watch but its a start, Marcella if you are thinking about going to any of the classes at the tryst, I would join you, I am keen to get back into fitness again, wouldn't feel so bad if someone else was with me, I could pick up some leaflets tonight and bring them along to the walk if you like.
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:

You could also see how much processed foods you eating.

Just a few suggestions. Oh...water...lots of it..if you not taking your daily requirement up it!

No processed foods here Cass. I like to cook from scratch. BUT I do like cheese and bread and I'm sure if I cut them out as well as reducing my portion sizes I'd make a difference........ back to the willpower thing again though and my lack of it. Confused
I also have thyroid problems which means I have a struggle to remain at the same weight never mind lose it.
Last time I lost weight I was living on fruit and veg and hardly anything else. I lost weight, had more energy but was blooming miserable because I hated my diet!!!!!!!!!! Laughing

I drink constantly, not a massive fan of water so I drink flavoured water (sugar free stuff) and diet lemonade etc. Maybe plain old tap water would be better.
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
I go to the gym 3 times a week, granted its the kids active 8 and I only watch but its a start, Marcella if you are thinking about going to any of the classes at the tryst, I would join you, I am keen to get back into fitness again, wouldn't feel so bad if someone else was with me, I could pick up some leaflets tonight and bring them along to the walk if you like.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
If you get any leaflets that would be good Margaret. We can have a look and see what they have on the go at the minute.
I think I might have to start with classes for OAPs as my fitness level will be on a par!!!!!!!!! Embarassed
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try limiting your intake of cheese. I know it helped my grandad loads. There are just some foods that folk seem to pile weight on with more than others. I prefer to avoid 'intolerances' label tho.

When you buying fruit juices...check make sure they dont have aspartme or phenylenin (sp?) in them. They been banned in many countries because of their links to a number of major illness's, diseases and problems. only one which springs to mind at the moment is Alzeimhers...ironically lol

I have to admit to liking Gillian McKeith's approach to raw and wholefoods. We have wholemeal bread and wholemeal rice etc whenever we have those.

When loosing weight its more a change of lifestyles than a change of food. I don't think people should cut anything out of their diet unless it is causing a severe reaction.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go swimming twice a week, for an hour then go to the sauna for 30mins then go for 1 cocktail!!!!

My problem is portion size, everything i cook just gets divided onto two plates and even when Im full I will still pick! I always eat far too late at night! Which is probably why I dont sleep at night either!

xx
Magz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always had problems with my weight due to a very slow digestive tract, soon as I cut out meat and alcohol I lost 4 stone in a year, I need to tone up now. I dont have big meals either as I can no longer handle it, it all depends on how you eat and when you eat, I love chocolate and bourbon biscuits, and fill up on cereal for food during the day, I have to have a light dinner and I drink juice, water and tea all day otherwise I get dehydrated, That can be a main problem for people knowing wether your hungry or thirsty as there is a fine line, It should take at least 20- 30 minutes after any meal before your brain knows it has been fed so that's why some of us tend to eat more as our signals are slower than others, but food should be a joy, and by god I miss meat but I think I would miss my bowel more Very Happy
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I eat wholemeal bread. Sometimes go for the wholegrain rice, but I'm not as keen although I do try with it.

I think I just need to eat less! Embarassed Says me whose thinking of having lunch!!!!! Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret what you are saying is true about thirst and hunger. I have read Paul McKennas book and it makes loads of sense! He says the same thing. He recommends that you eat much slower so that you recognise when your body is telling you that you are no longer hungry.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not try splitting what you do eat...into smaller meals? That way you still eating what you want, just in smaller quantities

I hear it helps speed up the metabolism.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tell you what girlies, a hangover will stop you from eating! the thought of food is making me boak!!

pitty the wine had so many calories!!!!

xx
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit size 20 a few years ago I've never been thin but that was too much.

It was the Rosemary Conley Hip and Thigh diet I used. You get to eat mountains of fruit and veg not much red meat and only one drink a day, alcoholic that is. She says if your eating a good well balanced low fat diet and still not losing you're just eating too much so I tried using a smaller plate and i learned to like healthy food Rolling Eyes The amazing thing is now if we have fatty meal I actually feel sick.
The other thing she claims is good is swimming. She ran a slim and swim club.

I'll have to get back to it. The trouble is getting in the right mood. I'd thought of a gym but I'm not sure if I'd go more than once and some of them seem too expensive not to go.

So Dale will just have to take me for walks. I started putting weight on when Sam was ill and then were dogless for a bit. So why not ask Diesel and Murphy to help out They could take you jogging or power walking.
Magz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always relate changing your eating patterns very similar to quiting smoking as i have done both, You feel you are missing out on something you really enjoy and end up with a hole in your life, saying that i started smoking again (my excuse stress) but your brain has little monsters in it that trick you that you will feel bad become depressed and just plain cant give it up, but its all about a mental attitude rather than a physical one. we dont need all these treats to eat, or bodies can survive without them as long as we have the balanced diet to keep going. baby steps is the best way to go regarding foods, but exercise is a good way to relieve the withdrawl as your feel so much better and the achievement feels better than a slice of cake or takeaway. I have been in this way for over a year now and can't see myself going back and I am now ready to up my exercise levels. My goal was set by the hospital, so I had a reason to do it, its either continue on and get ill then have a bag for the rest of my life and no bowel (no thank you) or stop eating the things that are making me ill. just the smoking thing to conquer now.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be sickeningly skinny. My mates used to joke I was actually anorexic...but I just had a very high metabolism and was very active.

I did tho hit a size 22...never actually bought a size 22...just squeezed into a size 20 miserably. I lost the weight when I left my husband...there is something to be said for happiness and health Wink
I am now a size less than I was before I had my wee boy and hopefully Ash and everything else I do will bring that down even more...prefably by June next year lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: